Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NCAA Reaction to California SB 206 - "Athletes Can Now Be Paid"

Not to mention a school must generate $10 million or more in media revenue for this to apply, and the only public school this applies to is the University of California and California State (private schools are cool).

As I see this, the underlying statement is players can hire agents.

This is a slippery slope in my opinion:

(e) (1) A student athlete shall not enter into a contract providing compensation to the athlete for use of the athlete’s name, image, or likeness if a provision of the contract is in conflict with a provision of the athlete’s team contract.

So, an athlete's "school contract" can say a player can't be compensated or hire an agent?

Eh, I'll see how this shakes out.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

This is a slippery slope in my opinion:

(e) (1) A student athlete shall not enter into a contract providing compensation to the athlete for use of the athlete’s name, image, or likeness if a provision of the contract is in conflict with a provision of the athlete’s team contract.

So, an athlete's "school contract" can say a player can't be compensated or hire an agent?

Eh, I'll see how this shakes out.
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2019, 9:31 PM #389392

+1

Let's see how the NCAA "modifies" the execution of the NLI…or allows it to be modified in terminology…or if they even have control over individual schools being able to modify it to suit their own situation…

Murky waters!

Back to the top

I mean we already compete for recruits as is. Now its going to be harder to get the good recruits to come to FAU to play because now schools will be dealing with agents and having to try and convince them to come to schools with the promise of endorsements and such.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I mean we already compete for recruits as is. Now its going to be harder to get the good recruits to come to FAU to play because now schools will be dealing with agents and having to try and convince them to come to schools with the promise of endorsements and such.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Posted On: Oct 4th 2019, 1:30 AM #389394

We have zero idea what this is going to look like.
This idea is a talking point to scare people and have them push against this idea.

The recruits who will gaining endorsements deals are very few and far between.
FAU doesn’t even sniff those guys anyways, so what really changes?

Players all around the country  are getting payments as recruits all over the country anyways, so if anything this brings everything into the light and eliminate the handlers, who are taking advantage of players.

If the NCAA was smart they would stop resisting this by  pushing the same old arguments.

They need to understand this is happening whether they want it or not and go to the table and work with the players, coaches, AD’s and figure out what’s best for everyone.

There is a way where players can make money, but have it be regulated.

College football has been around 150 years and has grown through out hundreds of changes and this won’t be any different. 
Back to the top

Your last paragraph  may or may not be accurate. My question is simple, why mess with something that has worked for 150 years.  Old school guys like myself watched pro football change with huge money. I don't ever watch a game. Will this happen in college Football? Who knows . But why risk it. And God help us the day a high school kids hires an agents to handle his signing. That will be the end of the college football I love.
Back to the top
Control functions: