Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Decarius Hawthorne Commits to FAU Football's Class of 2020

Add topic

The Owls received some great news late last night when Center Point highschool defensive linemen DeCaruis Hawthorne (photo top) announced his pledge to FAU Football's 2020 class via social media.

With FAU expecting to lose eight defensive linemen to graduation after the conclusion of the 2019 season, Hawthorne's commitment helps fill a major need.

FAU safeties coach Wes Neighbors, who recruits northern Alabama offered the 6-2 270 pound prospect back in March during the spring evaluation period, has remained in constant contact since then.

"It was the love the coaches were showing me," Hawthrone, told FAUOwlsnest when asked about what separated Florida Atlantic from other contenders.

Hawthrone, who describes himself as a "hand in the dirt type player,'' had 4 sacks and another 20 tackles for loss in his junior season alone.

While he has yet to make a trip down Boca, Hawthorne expects to take a game in within the coming weeks, and will set up an official visit in December.

The three-star prospect chose the Owls over offers from Tulane, Jacksonville State, Alabama A&M, and Eastern Kentucky.

The Alabama Birmingham native becomes the first commit from the state of Alabama where FAU has signed at least two players from each class since Lane Kiffin has taken over as head coach.

Hawthorne is the 8th overall commit for the Owls' 2020 cycle.

Back to the top

With FAU expecting to lose eight defensive linemen to graduation after the conclusion of the 2019 season…

GULP   :Scared:

Hope he sticks, great name for a DL.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I get nervous when one group matures together. But at our level it is difficult to work in depth.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I get nervous when one group matures together. But at our level it is difficult to work in depth.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2019, 1:41 PM #389488

Exactly. Defensively we’ll see maybe a Grad Transfer or two can help plug some holes although I hate the long term effect that has on us
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Local Owl said

Posted On: Oct 9th 2019, 1:41 PM #389488

Exactly. Defensively we’ll see maybe a Grad Transfer or two can help plug some holes although I hate the long term effect that has on us
Posted On: Oct 9th 2019, 2:07 PM #389490

Grad transfer or JC kid for spring practice would work but it’ll only help so much. They added a few really talented DL this past class - I’m super high on Latrell Jean and he’ll almost certainly redshirt -and Shane knows I’m still a fan of Jaylen Joyner’s potential. 

I know Kiffin thinks highly of DE Marlon Bradley. He’ll help. Travon Thomas, I think, is going to become a hell of a player. The staff knew this was coming and they prepped well. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

This isn't something that snuck up on Lane.  FAU hired him because we never wanted to run into that problem again. Comes with experiences.
Back to the top

walty12 said

With FAU expecting to lose eight defensive linemen to graduation after the conclusion of the 2019 season…

GULP   :Scared:

Hope he sticks, great name for a DL.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2019, 1:24 PM #389487

Good Lord that is scary to think about.  I hope Glenn Spencer sticks around and can develop our young guys.  The D might be tough to watch next year.  
Back to the top
Control functions: