Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Marshall @ FAU Game Thread - October 18, 2019

Add topic

Recruiting should focus on O-line, receivers and pass rush. I do agree that Chris holds the ball too long and Kiffin pointed to it in his presser. The game was lost in the first half as we should have put it away then. Struggled to move the ball after the first scoring drive. Expected a lot more from the defense. Chris will have competition next year as I still see weakness in his game. He still tries to do too much when all he needs to do is throw it away and move to the next play. Can’t take a sack on 4th down. Winning will help with recruiting. 
Back to the top

My 2 cents:

Both lines.
Robison was sacked too many times and was on the run too much. Some of the sacks are his fault though for not getting rid of the ball. but it seems there were too many plays he was getting no time.
No running game, 57 yards. Sacks are netted against rushing yards so that explains part of it. Robison stats show -47 rushing yards.

Marshall had 254 rushing yards.

Tackling was not good. Too many defense players sliding off ball carriers.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I usually save most of my thoughts for the podcast, but I want to get this out now.

I am going to rewatch the game (as I rewatch every game I can) tomorrow, so I have a less emotional view.

The online is taken a lot of heat, which I get, but they should not receive all the blame.

Chris is simple hanging onto the ball too long at times and leaving the pocket early at times.  If you go watch the safety you will see the guy the sacked Chris was not even on the initial pass rush and came on a delayed blitz.
Chris felt pressure from the right side and instead of hitting the slot guy on the short hot route who was open, he tucks the ball runs back into the endzone and gets sacked.
There was another play where Marshall showed blitz and were definitely bringing more guys than we had blocking and Chris did not recognize it and could not find the hot route.

Malcolm Davidson had 4.3  a carry and Larry McCammon had 6.4, which is not bad, but we took so many sacks we were not able to get in a rhythm running the ball.

Chris said after the game he felt like he was trying to do too much at times.

He has taken some major steps forward this year but needs to do a much better job of getting the ball out and take taking your 5 yards instead of holding the ball and going for the big play.
Back to the top

As for the running game, Shane just pointed out the YPC for our actual RBs wasn't awful - we just didn't even try to have a plan where they consistently ran the football.  With the 7 sacks negating at least 47 yards, and then a couple of absolutely awful-looking QB delayed runs by CR for no gain, we really only tried to run the ball 22 times by guys who are effective at running (12 by Davidson, 6 by McCammon, and 4 by Tronti).  CR had 7 sacks and 7 carries - meaning he had more actual carries than McCammon.  With an O-line struggling on pass protection, if we aren't at least attempting to run the ball teams will just continue to send people after our QB.
Back to the top

How about something a bit brighter…

Y'all in the stands cheered your heart out. Decent sized crowd was hurt by the 30 second rain storm, but y'all did a GREAT job of making noise when required. Doing a chant to motivate the boys during a change of possession, making noise on third down, booing the refs, going silent when we have the ball…. Seriously, when was the last time that Owl Nation did all of that at a home game? It really felt like a home field advantage out there.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

I usually save most of my thoughts for the podcast, but I want to get this out now.

I am going to rewatch the game (as I rewatch every game I can) tomorrow, so I have a less emotional view.

The online is taken a lot of heat, which I get, but they should not receive all the blame.

Chris is simple hanging onto the ball too long at times and leaving the pocket early at times.  If you go watch the safety you will see the guy the sacked Chris was not even on the initial pass rush and came on a delayed blitz.
Chris felt pressure from the right side and instead of hitting the slot guy on the short hot route who was open, he tucks the ball runs back into the endzone and gets sacked.
There was another play where Marshall showed blitz and were definitely bringing more guys than we had blocking and Chris did not recognize it and could not find the hot route.

Malcolm Davidson had 4.3  a carry and Larry McCammon had 6.4, which is not bad, but we took so many sacks we were not able to get in a rhythm running the ball.

He has taken some major steps forward this year but needs to do a much better job of getting the ball out and take taking your 5 yards instead of holding the ball and going for the big play.
Posted On: Oct 19th 2019, 12:56 PM #389979
exactly. He’s trying for the home run on every possession 
Back to the top

Proactive said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Posted On: Oct 19th 2019, 12:56 PM #389979
exactly. He’s trying for the home run on every possession 
Posted On: Oct 19th 2019, 2:48 PM #389983

And again we still have a shot at the east division crown. Marshall lost to Middle Tennessee and they play Western Kentucky next week. So we have to win out the remainder of our games and WKU has to beat Marshall because outside Western Kentucky I don’t trust the rest of the East Division opponents of Marshall to beat them. 
Back to the top

Rick said

Ohio State 178 YDS
Central Florida 177 YDS
Ball State 366 YDS
Wagner 379 YDS
Charlotte 312 YDS
MTSU 145 YDS
Marshall 362 YDS
=======

Robison is chased all night by the Herd, is sacked 7 times, and gets no run support (57 YDS on 36 Carries).

Yet he still puts up a solid yardage showing.

Record watch is still alive…stay tuned.

Posted On: Oct 18th 2019, 11:00 PM #389947

Actually run game was NOT that bad when you look art traditional RB's carries. Davidson and McCammon had 90 yards on only 18 carries, a 5.0 avg.

18 traditional runs and 57 passes/QB runs is NOT a good strategy unless your QB is named Fields/Hurts…….. We are talking 24% guys. Why this level when ahead most of the game?????

Not saying O line played good but if ya can't protect is what I am saying. And as has been mentioned, I thought Robison was a dual threat QB coming out of HS, to small to be a pocket passer. Roll him out more, more actual designed runs, or are they afraid of him getting hurt????

And as I said, thank God the D gets 3 of the absolute WEAKEST O's still, better do their jobs then!

By the way Ball St. beat N. Ill and E. Mich already this year and are DESTROYING Toledo now!!! :Laughing:
Back to the top

He does need to roll out more…like what Howard used to do with Rusty…mentioned that earlier in the thread.

Anyway, take away the two longs between Davidson and McCammons and you have 61 total yards, and 3.18 YPC, from their 16 attempts. The vast majority of the time they got no where to sustain drives. That's what I was referring to.
Back to the top

Just some random comments. Refs ruined the game for both sides.  They really seemed bad. Robison seems to have an inability to deal with pressure, so expect pressure to continue. I wonder why we couldn’t adjust our offense to the constant blitzing?  Marshall watched film and picked up on the fact that our safeties don’t know how to defend a pass. I’m not so sure anyone can tackle.  Should never have lost to that team. I feel better sorry everyone.
Back to the top
Control functions: