Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach KIFFIN 4/1 Arkansas

Caps? 
Back to the top

It must have been a mistake. Jk I hope GeorgiaOwl’s right!
Back to the top

Rick said

Given no Boones Pickens one could argue it's a poor man's Stillwater…Anyway, not sure they will ever get back to prominence…he'd be doing himself a disfavor by even considering Arkansas should they come a' courtin'. 
Posted On: Nov 12th 2019, 3:46 PM #390773

Arkansas does have Jerry Jones, Walmart and Tyson backing. Most people are surprised to know Forbes has Arkansas as the 16th most valuable program in college football. Northwest Arkansas is actually very nice and not like the rest of the state, lots of money being fused into it, it's one of the fastest growing places in the country and the Ozarks are pretty beautiful if you like the outdoors. Not saying I would take it over Boca but it's definitely one of the better places to live in the SEC.

My feeling is that Arkansas is a good job but it's in a conference with a lot of equal or better jobs so it's tough to make much headway. The facilities and fan support are great and Nutt won the SEC West twice, Petrino went to a Sugar Bowl and finished #5 in the country so it's possible to have some success but hard to be consistent with it and currently Arkansas is in its worst stretch in school history so it will take some time to rebuild. You can typically have a top 25 recruiting class there but the problem with that is it's in the lower half of the SEC and you have Alabama, Auburn and LSU in the division.

Kiffin really wanted the job when Petrino was hired but not sure he would now. He spent some time growing up as a kid in Fayetteville when Monte was on Lou Holtz's staff.
Back to the top

I am concerned about Lane going to Arkansas.  If memory serves me correct, Kiffin and Arkansas “talked” back in 2007 and I think Lane was close to taking the job. If there is mutual interest this time around I think Lane makes the jump and goes to Arkansas.  
Back to the top

gohogs14 said

Rick said

Given no Boones Pickens one could argue it's a poor man's Stillwater…Anyway, not sure they will ever get back to prominence…he'd be doing himself a disfavor by even considering Arkansas should they come a' courtin'. 
Arkansas does have Jerry Jones, Walmart and Tyson backing. Most people are surprised to know Forbes has Arkansas as the 16th most valuable program in college football. Northwest Arkansas is actually very nice and not like the rest of the state, lots of money being fused into it, it's one of the fastest growing places in the country and the Ozarks are pretty beautiful if you like the outdoors. Not saying I would take it over Boca but it's definitely one of the better places to live in the SEC.

My feeling is that Arkansas is a good job but it's in a conference with a lot of equal or better jobs so it's tough to make much headway. The facilities and fan support are great and Nutt won the SEC West twice, Petrino went to a Sugar Bowl and finished #5 in the country so it's possible to have some success but hard to be consistent with it and currently Arkansas is in its worst stretch in school history so it will take some time to rebuild. You can typically have a top 25 recruiting class there but the problem with that is it's in the lower half of the SEC and you have Alabama, Auburn and LSU in the division.

Kiffin really wanted the job when Petrino was hired but not sure he would now. He spent some time growing up as a kid in Fayetteville when Monte was on Lou Holtz's staff.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2019, 3:10 PM #390887

I'm hoping the ego isn't there anymore and the only way he chooses Arkansas over Boca is if they throw a shite pile of money his way. His quality of life in Boca is pretty freaking awesome. It's hard to beat grabbing a cup of coffee, walking around the pool to your twin engine center console and deep sea fishing within 5 or 10 mins. Plus there's no stress to win 7 or 8 games a year in the SEC west.

Also, let's not forget Layla still gets half of the pile of money.
Back to the top

When we offered kiffin the big 10 year deal I think we were all expecting his salary to go up. Surprisingly it didn't. What I did notice though is we bumped up the Assistant Coach pool from 1.7M to 2.1M. Likely we offered him a 400k bonus which he said it'd be more useful for coaches. I think he doesn't care too much about the money
Back to the top

cbboarder said

gohogs14 said

Rick said

Posted On: Nov 19th 2019, 3:10 PM #390887

I'm hoping the ego isn't there anymore and the only way he chooses Arkansas over Boca is if they throw a shite pile of money his way. His quality of life in Boca is pretty freaking awesome. It's hard to beat grabbing a cup of coffee, walking around the pool to your twin engine center console and deep sea fishing within 5 or 10 mins. Plus there's no stress to win 7 or 8 games a year in the SEC west.

Also, let's not forget Layla still gets half of the pile of money.

Posted On: Nov 19th 2019, 4:15 PM #390889

That last piece doesn't need to be in red font.  It's 100% true and probably a big reason he doesn't really care about the money…it aint going into his pocket anyway.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

When we offered kiffin the big 10 year deal I think we were all expecting his salary to go up. Surprisingly it didn't. What I did notice though is we bumped up the Assistant Coach pool from 1.7M to 2.1M. Likely we offered him a 400k bonus which he said it'd be more useful for coaches. I think he doesn't care too much about the money
Posted On: Nov 20th 2019, 1:39 PM #390902

I thought the same more money, but I will stick with my gut and say he stays at least 4 years.  I think Kiffin likes it here.  He can make it whatever he wants it to be, thus creating his own dream or paradise.  We have a lot going for us, location, facilities and a fan base with a University looking to grow.  It's all abut legacy, and I don't think he would jump ship for unsure unless its a dream job say an Alabama.  

Over the last few years certain coaches like Taggart and Morrris were given chances with one or two years of success.  They took over programs that wanted to win immediately, the moment they could not get the wins they were marked to get let go.  Kiffin can spear head us into the American or even sneak us into a Power 5 if certain things fall into place and with a little bit of luck.  I was looking over the scores for older games in past seasons with Partridge and Pelini and we have completely changed as a program.  We need to continue to make sure he is happy here, a bump in pay in anyway is needed if the wins are coming in.  If we can go on a small streak with 2 more regular season wins, a possible conference championship and bowl game win I think we will be close to getting ranked.  If Kiffin gets us there he would've proved doubters wrong. He can coach and is a good coach and he can do it even at FAU.
Back to the top

Every coach cares about money.  Where his money goes is his business. Ultimately it will be his decision. Money/ life style/ stress comparison. He is still young. A couple years of major pay and he can cruise through the rest of his life in style.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Every coach cares about money.  Where his money goes is his business. Ultimately it will be his decision. Money/ life style/ stress comparison. He is still young. A couple years of major pay and he can cruise through the rest of his life in style.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2019, 3:26 PM #390909

Very true but the flip side is ya take on FSU or Arky with GREAT expectations and struggle AT ALL, you are gone and so is your Coaching reputation - forever! Neither school has much real Power5 talent now and pretty WEAK recruiting classes for the Power 5 conferences they are in you are giving yourself a very short rope to work with.

I just don't think Coach K wants or needs that type of UNREALISTIC expectations thrown in his face, you are being set-up to fail!
Back to the top
Control functions: