Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA FOOTBALL: Games for Week of 11-23-19

Add topic

All 14 Conference USA teams will be in action on the penultimate Saturday of the 2019 regular season. Five league matchups and a pair of local rivalries comprise the Nov. 23 docket. Four of the conference games will kick off at the same time.

Two of the league’s hottest teams will go at it when Marshall brings its five-game winning streak to Charlotte. This features a matchup of the two top rushing offenses in Conference USA. The 49ers are first in the league, averaging 202.8 yards per game, while the Thundering Herd is second at 200.3 per outing on the ground. Marshall’s Brenden Knox (104.6) is the top individual rusher in the conference, while three different 49ers have topped the century mark on the ground during Charlotte’s three-game win streak.

Louisiana Tech will bring the league’s top-ranked offense (457.3 yards per game) to Birmingham to face UAB’s No. 1-ranked defense (267.9 yards per game). Bulldogs junior RB Justin Henderson leads C-USA and ranks sixth nationally with 16 total touchdowns (15 rushing).  Blazers junior LB Kristopher Moll is one of only two players in the conference to rank in the top 10 in tackles (4th), tackles for loss (7th) and sacks (8th) per game.

WKU will visit Southern Miss for the first time, as each team seeks a victory to stay in their respective divisional races. The Hilltoppers are ranked second in C-USA in scoring defense (20.5 points per game) and total defense (320.0 yards per game). The Golden Eagles feature a big play offense that leads the league in passing (297.5 yards per game) and has produced a C-USA-best 14 plays of 50 yards or longer from scrimmage (third in the FBS).

North Texas will need to win its final two games to get bowl-eligible and it begins with a trip to Rice, which is coming off a win at Middle Tennessee. The Mean Green have the top two scoring receivers in the league in Jaelon Darden (11 touchdowns) and Jyaire Shorter (8 TDs), while Michael Lawrence has 43 catches.  Owls newcomer Brad Rozner scored three times last week and posted his fourth 100-yard receiving game as he makes his impact at Rice.

East Division rivals Old Dominion and Middle Tennessee meet in Murfreesboro. The Monarchs come into the contest fourth in the league against the run (138.3 yards per game), while the Blue Raiders have found success on the ground, averaging 175.1 yards on the ground each outing.

Florida Atlantic comes off its bye with a trip to San Antonio to face UTSA, needing a win to keep with Marshall in the East Division race. In C-USA games, the Owls are the top scoring team (36.2 points per game), while being tied for second in scoring defense (18.3). The Roadrunners have proven to be strong running the ball (173.0 yards per game in league play) with rookie RB Sincere McCormick (top rushing freshman in C-USA) and QB Lowell Narcisse (472 yards) leading the ground game.

Longtime rivals UTEP and New Mexico State will meet in Las Cruces, while crosstown schools FIU and Miami will meet in the first collegiate game at Marlins Park, built on the exact site of the historic Orange Bowl Stadium in West Miami.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23

Marshall at Charlotte (Stadium/FB) 3:30 pm
Louisiana Tech at UAB (ESPN+) 3:30 pm
North Texas at Rice (NFLN) 3:30 pm
WKU at Southern Miss (ESPN+) 3:30 pm
UTEP at New Mexico State (FloSports) 4 pm
Old Dominion at Middle Tennessee (ESPN3) 4:30 pm
Florida Atlantic at UTSA (ESPN+) 6 pm
Miami at FIU (CBSSN) 7 pm

Back to the top

We're all 'Niners.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

C'mon 49ers! Get that win and bowl eligibility! THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

I Think Charlotte may catch Marshall of guard.  They are fighting for bowl eligibility and are at home and have played solid throughout the year.  I hope they can beat them, we will see.
Back to the top

faufan300 said

I Think Charlotte may catch Marshall of guard.  They are fighting for bowl eligibility and are at home and have played solid throughout the year.  I hope they can beat them, we will see.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2019, 3:02 PM #390907

I am praying for that! :Winking:
Back to the top

I was a little surprised to see the spread on the Marshall game at 7 points.  So there is an expectation that Charlotte has a better chance than I was giving them.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I was a little surprised to see the spread on the Marshall game at 7 points.  So there is an expectation that Charlotte has a better chance than I was giving them.
Posted On: Nov 21st 2019, 1:48 PM #390944

30% chance of a win is the best I have seen…the line is lower than the predicted scores - which are about 10 points.

Regardless:

Back to the top

Shock the world Charlotte!  Well CUSA East.

Go 49ers!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

4:02 3RD:

Charlotte 10  Marshall 13

Let's go Niners!
Back to the top

9:40 4th

Charlotte 17  Marshall 13

:cool:
Back to the top
Control functions: