Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations: Kiffin

What is the most that FAU could offer in terms of a raise for Kiffin? All we can do is speculate and we all know that we aren't going to win a bidding war with a P5 school simply because of the conference TV deals that skew so heavily towards the P5. But I'm curious if the school is in a position to offer Kiffin or a potential replacement more money? Which CUSA school pays the most right now, because in reality we just need to put our self in a position to beat our peers.
Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

What is the most that FAU could offer in terms of a raise for Kiffin? All we can do is speculate and we all know that we aren't going to win a bidding war with a P5 school simply because of the conference TV deals that skew so heavily towards the P5. But I'm curious if the school is in a position to offer Kiffin or a potential replacement more money? Which CUSA school pays the most right now, because in reality we just need to put our self in a position to beat our peers.

Posted On: Dec 4th 2019, 11:12 AM #391439

The "other" site has a story that says the board is working on something to counter with but I doubt we have much more in the tank to give.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

There are sure to be a lot of moves in the next few weeks. If Kiffin doesn't go the way of Arkansas, he will likely have other callers. The one positive for FAU is that he seems to be drawn to the type of lifestyle he has in South Florida. Not too many other places can offer the same.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Kiffin is making about 1.6 million a year here. What I wonder if it could get raised. There’s so many rich people here that could make a real difference 
Back to the top

Kiffin is getting ready to be on the “Playbook” show on ESPNU Radio (Sirius XM)…  I’ll relay what I hear. 
Back to the top

Seth Littrell at North Texas is $1.8M without bonuses.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

From the interview Kiffin did on SiriusXM, the conversation stayed mostly on FAU and the C-USA championship, but 2 points I found interesting.

Coaching rumors - he was very short on this, and said he has never and will never talk openly with anybody (including the team) about other jobs because none of that has anything to do with what is going on in the moment with this team this week for this game.  He quoted the old "we are just trying to be 1-0" this week quote, but in reality - what is he supposed to say?

On the plight of the G5 - Kiffin very matter-of-factly said he didn't believe there should even be 1 guaranteed spot.  He said what needs to be fixed is how teams are compared and ranked.  Saying one G5 has to get a NY6 spot pretty much means that you will ONLY get 1 spot.  He prefers a better way to evaluate and rank teams and ensure the best teams get into the best bowls no matter where they came from.  If there isn't a good G5 team, nobody should take a spot in a major bowl.  If there were multiple undefeated teams they should all find their ways into big matchups.
Back to the top

Take him to 2mm!

owlsdad said

Kiffin is getting ready to be on the “Playbook” show on ESPNU Radio (Sirius XM)…  I’ll relay what I hear. 
Posted On: Dec 4th 2019, 1:18 PM #391443

Glad I saw this, I was able to go back and listen…the Cliff's Notes version:

Said Harrison clearly deserves the Mackey
UAB has a great D, with some SEC caliber players, we'll have our hands full Saturday
Robison has matured, which is why he is taking care of the ball and playing so well
Fun little bit about Analytics and it going against "old school/safe" coaching styles, where old coaches do what they can to avoid blame for losses, "they go for a fg with an 8% chance just so the kicker gets blamed if they miss"

The important stuff: they asked him about Arkansas and his name coming up. "I have never talked about that stuff with our team, anywhere I've been, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't mention it." they asked, what if someone asks you? it's everywhere on the internet now (not that he's going to Arky, just that his name is out there) and it got a bit awkward, "I've never commented on stuff like that and never will" then he saved it by saying the only reason it's happening is bc the players are playing so well.

They finished with a nice plug for us being 1.8 miles from the beach and how you can see the ocean from the press box!
Back to the top

If we want to play in the american conference eventually we dont need to be able to pay Arkansas money but we need to be able to come close to what USF pays (pay somewhat closer to 2m)

Back to the top
Control functions: