Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BREAKING: FAU to 2019 Boca Raton Bowl vs SMU

I expect a C-USA championship kind of turnout (less than 1/2 full), just against a much better opponent.  SMU was ranked earlier this year, and show up as one of the first or second teams in most polls of the “others” getting votes.  So a win can maybe move FAU up to around #28 or #27 to almost crack the polls.  Pretty decent opponent although I would have much rather played Miami or a ranked App State. 

SMU will probably travel better than Akron, especially for a Saturday game.  But I expect local turnout to be poor.  My daughter is a current student and she was pretty bummed. 
Back to the top

I truly hope over time the Boca Raton Bowl becomes more prestigious. BUT it is the FAU home stadium. I'm worried that this might be called the FAU Bowl after this year. People might think this is the automatic bowl bid for FAU when they are bowl eligible.
For the committee of the Boca Raton Bowl, I would think for credibility sake they would want something other than the local team. Once was fine but twice in 3 years might not be wise.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Nah, the Boca Raton Bowl actually gets a decent audience every year. This is because ESPN actually markets the bowl in the community (unlike FAU) haha. I expect attendance to be mid 25k.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Nah, the Boca Raton Bowl actually gets a decent audience every year. This is because ESPN actually markets the bowl in the community (unlike FAU) haha. I expect attendance to be mid 25k.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 6:39 PM #391855

Tickets sold, maybe. Butts in the seat about half.
Back to the top

Lots are corporate sponsors tickets that are given away and never used. I don’t know about ticket sales but I’d expect it to be the norm (15k) for attendance.
Back to the top

Big Lerm said

Lots are corporate sponsors tickets that are given away and never used. I don’t know about ticket sales but I’d expect it to be the norm (15k) for attendance.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 7:05 PM #391860

SMU could travel well
Back to the top

Everyone talks bad about our attendance issues and I get it we have a 30,000 seat stadium so it’s empty most of the time. But, Yesterday’s crowd was a rocking 15,000 especially on the FAU side. If we’re drawing 15k a game, even 10k, it’s actually quite a bit of people when you think about it
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Everyone talks bad about our attendance issues and I get it we have a 30,000 seat stadium so it’s empty most of the time. But, Yesterday’s crowd was a rocking 15,000 especially on the FAU side. If we’re drawing 15k a game, even 10k, it’s actually quite a bit of people when you think about it
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 9:15 PM #391865

Looking back on it we were probably a bit ambitious to have a 30k stadium. Probably should have stayed in that 20-25 range. Would look a lot better too
Back to the top

There will be a point in time when we will need the 30k seats.
We are lucky to have a stadium like this one.
Look at the new training facility.
Our attendance could improve, actually Lane Kiffin mentioned on ESPN that he was missing the game day experience. FAU just needs time.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 9:15 PM #391865

Maybe 15k tickets sold, not a chance there were 15k butts in seats.
Back to the top
Control functions: