Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Assistant Coaching Changes, 2019-2020

I just heard Charlei weiss and Kevin Smith will be going with Kiffin to ole miss.
Back to the top

Briles or bust now…

We're screwed if we don't land him.

Hopefully this is a sign that he's interested.

On a side note, we really don't need an on hands OC if we do.

Otherwise, get ready for 4-8 at best.

Not being negative, just realistic. Have to have a system that is comparable to maintain pace.
Back to the top

Rick said

Briles or bust now…

Not being negative, just realistic. Have to have a system that is comparable to maintain pace.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:09 PM #391879

For FAU to be successful it has to  have a differentiator from other schools. I like briles or taggart as offensive coaches. With lane it was notoriety, with briles it would be his offense, with taggart it would be his recruiting. I like briles because he knows the school and his offense would draw ppl to play in it. Taggart would recruit well here and he could call plays. 
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

I just heard Charlei weiss and Kevin Smith will be going with Kiffin to ole miss.

Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:05 PM #391877

That will suck if Lane cherry picks our coaching staff. Might get p*ssed at him for that one. I understand Wilson Love but Kevin? He's a Florida guy and needs to stay in Florida (for our sake).
Back to the top

cbboarder said

NITE-OWL said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:05 PM #391877

That will suck if Lane cherry picks our coaching staff. Might get p*ssed at him for that one. I understand Wilson Love but Kevin? He's a Florida guy and needs to stay in Florida (for our sake).
Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 11:27 PM #391881

It was only a matter of time till Kevin left as well. Rather him go with Lane than someone else.
Back to the top

Rick said

Briles or bust now…

I think it is easier to win at FAU then people think. For all the good that Lane did here, he also some poor decisions that limited the team from being even more successful. Many of the recruits he went for either did not make it to campus, left shortly after arriving, or left the team after a short time.

FAU needs to avoid hiring unproven coaches if at all possible because the chances of success are low. That’s what most schools at the G5 level do and the majority fail and end up firing their coach.  The only other time FAU went with a name coach like Lane in it’s short history was Schnellenber and he had the difficult task of launching the program. Once the team reached the 1A/FBS level the team started to have success becoming one of the top programs in the Sun Belt under Rusty Smith before regressing when Howard stayed on too long before retiring. After that, the program got cheap with their hires, hiring unknowns and the results were far below the program’s potential.

I really believe that there are several coaches available that could have as much and even more success here than we had under Lane and it doesn’t have to be Briles or even another offensive coach. There are other coaches that can have similar recruiting success as Lane did without the player turnover. I believe that is what FAU needs to become a contender for an NY6 bowl which I didn’t see happening under Lane with the lack of stability with the players. The program just needs to be smart with this hire and I have full confidence that White will make a great hire.
Back to the top

As for the importance of running a fast paced, spread offense I think it is quickly losing it’s effective as more and more teams are running them. Everyone is now running RPOs and defenses are learning to adjust. Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, Dino Babers are now struggling while a smash mouth coach like Matt Rhule is having success. I think we just need to focus on hiring the best coach possible regardless of offensive system.
Back to the top

Rick said

Briles or bust now…

I think this is a bit dramatic 
Back to the top

There are a lot of good names here that could be our next Head Coach.
We continually talk about the lack of attendance even during winning seasons.
We need to hire the best coach that can take this established team back to it’s winning way next year, but also a coach who is willing to go out in the community and promote the University and the football team.
Lane was reluctant to do so and we never grew the fan base the way we should have.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Rick said

Briles or bust now…

I think this is a bit dramatic 
Posted On: Dec 9th 2019, 6:27 AM #391889

Exactly and not true.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: