Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin to Ole Miss

DeltAlumnus said

cbboarder said

Local Owl said

Jim Leavitt leaves fsu.  I wouldn't be upset if he lands in boca.
Posted On: Dec 7th 2019, 6:15 AM #391590

I think we need a younger coach. If you look at the successful G5 programs, the head coaches tend to be in their 40's or younger. The exception to this would be the tenured coaches who have been with the same program for some time (think Doc or Rick). We don't need no stinkin' retread…as someone put it. For assistants, retreads are fine but not for the head football coach.

At the G5 level we need a head coach that can relate to the recruits. We need Lane Kiffin….
Posted On: Dec 7th 2019, 9:18 AM #391595

Lane was a retread 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2019, 10:00 AM #391603

Yes he was but he was a 42yr old retread. He was an anomaly. He did it all by the age of 40.
Back to the top

I think you need to go with a brilliant offensive mind that can keep the offense rolling next year and possible the year after if Robison stays. I’d take Charlie Weis. Jr.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I say we steal Lance Leipold from Buffalo. Young energetic recruits well.  Is turning that program around. 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2019, 9:50 AM #391601

Lance Leipold is the exact opposite of young. He’s also only coached in the Midwest and north east. Would not be a fan of that hire.
Back to the top

Glenn Spencer should be in our top 3. He's a great player's coach. He loves it here at FAU and you can tell on his twitter. I think he's a great recruiter and knows the system and scheme. We need a coach to come in and essentially change nothing.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Glenn Spencer should be in our top 3. He's a great player's coach. He loves it here at FAU and you can tell on his twitter. I think he's a great recruiter and knows the system and scheme. We need a coach to come in and essentially change nothing.

Posted On: Dec 8th 2019, 10:03 AM #391771

Post of the year - if a new "Coach" comes in and changes things just to be "different" or has to have it "his way" then don't hire him!
Back to the top

Hey guys…devil's advocate here.

Would any of you take a leadership position where the CEO tells you that you are going to be rated on your results (and will be fired if you don't produce) but you have no control over the team you build to achieve those results??

We cannot hire a head coach and tell him who he can hire as his staff, that's a deadly reputation to build. If you want to keep continuity, you must promote from within, that's the only way. If you're truly sold on that idea, then you have to promote Glenn Spencer. West GA was a really good D2 school when he was their head coach BTW.

Ryan Day at OSU is the best recent example. It's rare that a new head coach comes in from the outside and keeps more than 1 or 2 staff members.

If we hire someone from the outside, don't expect to keep many…perhaps Spencer, but a lot of the well known names on our staff are going with Lane anyway. Charlie, Kevin, Wilson, all gone.
Back to the top

I'd like to personally thank Rick for removing Lane's twitter feed (in advance of him doing it) from the scroller at the top of the home page.

It's like you broke up with your high school girlfriend and you still see her around town having fun…. can you take care of that please!

It's Owl Time!
Back to the top

teambeer said

Hey guys…devil's advocate here.

Would any of you take a leadership position where the CEO tells you that you are going to be rated on your results (and will be fired if you don't produce) but you have no control over the team you build to achieve those results??

We cannot hire a head coach and tell him who he can hire as his staff, that's a deadly reputation to build. If you want to keep continuity, you must promote from within, that's the only way. If you're truly sold on that idea, then you have to promote Glenn Spencer. West GA was a really good D2 school when he was their head coach BTW.

Ryan Day at OSU is the best recent example. It's rare that a new head coach comes in from the outside and keeps more than 1 or 2 staff members.

If we hire someone from the outside, don't expect to keep many…perhaps Spencer, but a lot of the well known names on our staff are going with Lane anyway. Charlie, Kevin, Wilson, all gone.
Posted On: Dec 9th 2019, 8:19 AM #391897

Has there been an official announcement about Charlie & Kevin leaving?
Back to the top

Typically the university losing staff doesn't announce it. but I imagine OM will when it's done.

I did read somewhere that Lane was targeting some other DCs so seems like Spencer won't go with him.
Back to the top

IMO, you really need to know a coordinator, see how they work with others, and so forth to have any idea whether they would be a good head coach.  There are people who are great at one thing (calling plays, for example) who have no business managing a football operation or being the face of a program.  Since Brian White is so well connected in the industry (through his family but also his past jobs) I imagine that he will hire someone he has worked with before, or at least knows well through one of his family members.  Sort of how he hired Dusty who was on his brother's staff at UF.  
Back to the top
Control functions: