Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart Introductory Press Conference

BUT as a positive, with the overlap of Spencer still around coaching the team through the bowl, maybe TAGGART can build a relationship with him, and see the value he has brought to the defense and brings to the team... it could work out FOR as well as against too.
Back to the top

What do you think about him vowing to focus on local recruiting? FAU has been getting a lot of really good players form out of state recently and idk why you would want to focus on recruiting arguably the most highly competitive recruiting territory in the country.

I'll take everything he said as lip service because any introductory press conference is 99% lip service. What do we expect him to say? That he doesn't like the administration? That he isn't impressed with the facilities? That he doesn't plan on staying long term and building the program? Maybe he thinks that we just want to hear that he's going to buckle down on local recruiting.

I'm sure he's a nice guy. Just curious about everyone's thoughts on the recruiting comment, particularly our local recruiting expert Shane "OC40" Marinelli.
Back to the top

It was blatantly obvious the "State of FAU" comments were for brownie points - especially with Schnellenberger  there.  We have a lot of FL kids on this roster, and obviously you are going to keep recruiting the area and the state because of all the talent.  Lane had this bit of a pipeline with other states (several kids from Alabama) that I would assume stemmed from his efforts at Tennessee and then the 3 years with the Crimson Tide.

At the same time, I took some of those comments to be more geared towards FAU becoming the area's team more than just a recruiting statement.  The "State of Miami" was as much about being Miami's team as it was just recruiting the area.  UCF has done something very similar here in Orlando as the "home town team" to try and drive excitement with the area.  Getting that excitement and community backing is what many have been saying needed to be done.
Back to the top

except… Schnellenberger's "State of FAU" is everything south of I-4, Taggart is only claiming 3 counties, not even his home county on the west coast from the Bradenton Manatee power house?
Back to the top

I just don’t think it makes sense since our program is in a totally different spot as it was back in Schnellenbergers day. We aren’t a start up 1-AA school.
Back to the top

Why are we complaining about our HC wanting to mine the most talent rich area in the country? As we have grown into a larger more desire-able program the higher level talent will seriously consider us instead of going out of state. Most of our players under Lane were recruited by Partridge, who recruited heavily in South Florida.

It's not like Taggart said hes not going to leave the state to recruit players.
Back to the top

I would have posted this in a different thread, but the smu  thread woudnt let me. We need to start thinking about win number eleven. The coaching situation and staff will happen no matter any of our opinions. If i were harrison Bryant,  i would sit this game out. Nothing good can happen. Everyone else needs to step it up if we will hang with the Mustangs.
Back to the top
Control functions: