Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Band

I know this topic has been discussed prior, but wanted to bring it back to light.  Reason I want to bring it back to life is...it bothers me.  

Went to the Mens Bball game last Thursday.  The student section was packed and we had the band at the end.  The band members we had were awesome, but man it would have been great to have twice as many.

But most of all, our band for football games absolutely needs to change from a sheer size perspective.  

I was talking with folks that run athletics to understand why we aren't investing in this area.  Apparently, the band and funding for it are not part of athletics.  They dont make decisions or have influence over the program.

I have heard President Kelly's desires and goals with our football program, which I love hearing.  I have seen the investments made by the University into the program, which I love seeing.  

What I haven't seen is the band grow?  It frustrates me.  We want a better game day atmosphere...I cant think of anything outside of the product on the field that influences that more.  Heck, some universities have students come to games to just see the band perform!

I am the type that looks to solve problems like this, or help anyway.  Not just complain.  I wonder...does anybody know who in the music program (where I think the decisions are made) how a donation can be earmarked specifically with the intention of increasing the band scholarship fund?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Great post and I agree with all 100%!

It ALL starts with Dr. Kelly to me. Building and supporting the team is one step to a game day.

But as we have now seen with two 11 win seasons, winning is not everything OR enough. To fill the stadium MUCH needs to change and BAND is a big part of that to me!
Back to the top

The band at the basketball game is the perfect.  If you sit near it,  it's hard to hear.

I would definitely be open to donating to band to help it grow. It's sad that the opposing teams travel with better bands than ours.
Back to the top

It is certainly generous to donate but they need something like an alumni advisory committee that can meet separately, study and report on who does it well and how that is done and recommend possible ways to fix the problem. Wouldn’t hurt to have something like that for the game day experience too.
Back to the top

Owlguin said

It is certainly generous to donate but they need something like an alumni advisory committee that can meet separately, study and report on who does it well and how that is done and recommend possible ways to fix the problem. Wouldn’t hurt to have something like that for the game day experience too.
Posted On: Jan 20th 2020, 12:47 PM #393576

Good point, and an NEW alumni survey will help too. with lost of space for comments. Change HAVE TO BE MADE!

Two 11 win seasons with a NATIONALLY known HC have not brought out the crowds and when they have, FAU has "dropped the ball" (to put it VERY nicely) in a pretty bad way.
Back to the top

While winning is necessary it is not sufficient for growth. Kiffin was a fantastic coach for a P5 program but just his name was not enough to get the fans out. You need to win consistently and develop the fan base from the bottom up. The product on the field needs to be entertaining not just overwhelming.
Back to the top

All shows it is NOT really about the games, we are winning those a lot and winning in an exciting Big Time manner too. The team was 18-4 at home under Coach K!

But when we had had Big crowds (anything over 20K), both the team AND ESPECIALLY the stadium staff are overmatched.

I sorta get the delays entering the stadium itself with modern security concerns but that too could be improved a lot with more gates being open and staffed.

But super long (and slow) lines at concessions, running out of water or food….INEXCUSEABLE!!! A simple concept is treat others as ya would want treated yourself. Ya have guests over, ya ALWAYS have more food and drink than needed, ALWAYS! Unless ya don't want them to come back nd THAT is the message many have taken away from a big FAU game. Kinda like committing party suicide - the guests will always remember if they wanna come back, especially when it costs a lot to come in the first place!

And that is I guess my real point -OUR (FAU) guests are expected to pay and they expect SERVICE and entertainment in return. Coach K gave them entertainment in a good team and many wins but the REST OF THE GAME DAY EXPERIENCE WAS NOT GOOD (to put it nicely).

Team - stadium - band - cost - access - food/drink - service.  ALL are HUGE factors needed. Coach and team are doing their part, the Stadium itself is great, , the band NEEDS MUCH MORE SCHOOL ADMIN. SUPPORT AND $$$ and the others try BUT MOSTLY FAIL - even on non big-game days. I read the complaints on here and visiting team sites. Wow the FAU Stadium is beautiful, wish we had that, BUT…….

Get it together FAU - the stadium was to be the centerpiece of OUR Athletics budget and revenue (Stadium naming rights still ZERO $$$ REVENUE after NINE (9) seasons - REALLY!!!!!!). Again IMHO overpriced from day one!
Back to the top

If you'd like to contact the band department on making a donation here is their contact information:

FAU | hutchings

Dr. Kyle Prescott is the Director of Bands (all bands)
Dr. Marc Decker is the Associate Director of Bands/Director of Athletic Bands (meaning he's the Marching and Pep Band director)

The basketball pep band, Parliament Sound, is smaller than the marching band 1) because it's a different class (new semester) and 2) it's supposed to be smaller.

The bands have NEVER been funded by athletics. Occasionally I think athletics may have helped in getting tickets for away games (like UF or USF) but not 100% sure about that. I do think SG has also assisted in helping buy tickets for away games or transportation in the past (again not 100% sure but recall talks of that).

The band's funding, travel expenses, ect come from their music department budget/college of arts and letters.

In 2005 when the "uniformed" band started the President's office (then President Brogan) I believe purchased or assisted in purchasing the uniforms.

AEA
Back to the top

Thank you dmarkey.  

My only questions then is….

Is lack of funding the issue on our bands size?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Thank you dmarkey.  

My only questions then is….

Is lack of funding the issue on our bands size?
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2020, 8:40 PM #393596

Lack of a strategic vision, which is backed by resources, within the leadership ranks of the music department towards having a "large" marching band, and making it a priority, has been the constant point of feedback I have received while asking about this "issue" periodically for the last 10+ years.

That said, DMarkey outlined the best source of influence. Give, and ear mark it. If they will allow it.

Back to the top
Control functions: