Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BREAKING: OL Alex Atcavage Commits to FAU Football Class of 2020

Add topic

Willie Taggart and his staff add another piece to the trenches in offensive tackle Alex Atcavage.

Atcavage, who lives in Pennsylvania transferred to nationally know IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, for his senior season football season to gain more recognition from college coaches.

The three-star prospect's recruitment exploded at IMG, gaining him offers from schools all across the country.

Atccavage, ultimately committed to Willie Taggart and FSU but after staff changes, he de-committed from FSU.

Coaches Clint Trickett and offensive line coach Jeff Norrid quickly started recruiting him along with new head coach Willie Taggart and outside linebacker coach Raymond Woodie, who he remained in touch with.

Atcavage was originally supposed to visit the weekend of the 31st and take an official visit to either Boise State or USF weekend, but after coach newly named offensive coordinator Clint Trickett and offensive line coach Jeff Norrid visited his high school and met with parents over lunch, his he knew he had to get down to FAU.

"I want to be a business major, so once me and my parents heard about the business opportunities that a wealthy city like Boca Raton could offer, I wanted to get down there fast as possible," he told FAUowlsnest via phone call.

FAU's facilities also impressed the Holand, Pennsylvania native.

"The stadium felt bigger in person than what I saw in pictures, and the new football building and locker rooms are even better than what FSU had.''

Despite having multiple offers it was particularly hard for Atccavge to choose FAU over conference rival Old Dominion, where he visited last weekend.

"It was one of the hardest decisions of my life," he said when asked about his decision.

Much of the new football staff at Old Dominion had come from Penn State and they had a relationship with him going back to his early days in high school.

Today's commitment also has special meaning to Actavage, as it is exactly 8 months to the day he originally committed Willie Taggart when he was at FSU.

The 6-2'' 285 prospect can play either inside or outside on the line but will start working at right tackle when he arrives at FAU.

This is the fourth offensive linemen to commit to FAU football's 2020 class.

2020 FAU Football Commit List - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

FAU fans should be focusing on how well we are doing on the trail right now. :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Concentrating on the lines make me smile. Step one of building a team....the big uglies. Welcome to FAU.
Back to the top

Great pickup by the Owls. Atcavage is a player who could easily play at the P5 level with his size and talent. Took visits to Illinois and Indiana Good to see the new staff having having success going after a player from powerhouse IMG Academy, would be a great pipeline to create moving forward
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Concentrating on the lines make me smile. Step one of building a team….the big uglies. Welcome to FAU.
Posted On: Jan 26th 2020, 8:53 PM #393749

Many people in the recruiting industry feel teams need to take 5 online every year and hope 2-3 workout.

It is one of the toughest positions to evaluate behind QB in football.
Back to the top

So far Coach Taggart and the crew has been getting results. No one can question that. Tough to have recruiting success with our changes . But these guys are pulling it off.
Back to the top

That is why a guy like Reggie Bain was so unique. Even with his injury, he was outstanding. They rarely come in ready. They must be developed.  
Back to the top

I'm kind of shocked at the success.  Next year should be "our best year ever".
Back to the top

I like the guys that are visiting and the guys that are committing . What are the other pressing needs for these last few scholarships? It seems like a big receiver, tight end, interior defensive line (assuming the FSU transfer isn’t immediately eligible and Jones ends up on the offensive side of the ball), linebacker and corner are the places that look like they could use depth or even have a need for some immediate contribution. 
Back to the top

That’s why i think it’s so important to move up conferences. There has to be some talk about it with the seasons we’re having and the new Schmidt Center. The FSU OL transfer Atcavage said that it’s bigger than FSU’s facility. Can’t wait until the talk gets even more serious. 
Back to the top
Control functions: