Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Southern Miss - February 13, 2020

Add topic

FAU to Face USM in Second to Last Game Before Bonus PLay

What: Florida Atlantic (14-11, 6-6) @ Southern Mississippi (7-18, 3-9)

When: Thursday, February 13th, 2020 @ 8:00 PM Eastern

Where: Reed Green Coliseum

Series: The Golden Eagles own a slight 4-2 edge over the Owls, which includes a two point victory over FAU last year.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

USM Team Site: Here

USM at a Glance:

Offense - 67.0 PPG, 44% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 73.4 PPGA, 44% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 34.8 RPG Golden Eagles, 34.0 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Golden Eagles are limping into the final week before C-USA Bonus Play after blowing a double-digit halftime lead against WKU. Reigning C-USA Co-Sixth Man of the Year LaDavius Draine had his first double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds in the loss.

USM was punching above their weight as WKU continues to battle for a C-USA Regular Season Championship. Southern Miss has a pair of impressive wins over UAB and Charlotte, the latter being the lone Golden Eagles victory in their last five attempts.

The Golden Eagles are led by a pair of sophomores in guard Gabe Watson and forward Tyler Stevenson, who average 13.3 and 12.4 PPG, respectively.

While not known to dominate the boards, USM does have the conference's fourth best rebounder on their roster. Senior forward Leonard Harper-Baker averages 7.8 RPG, including 6.7 RPG vs. C-USA opponents.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 70.7 PPG, 43% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 68.4 PPGA, 44% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.0 RPG Owls, 34.7 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Owls follow up their first-ever wins over Marshall and WKU in the same season, with back-to-back defeats to rival FIU. Last time out, the Owls led for over 26 minutes and by as much as 14 points before failing to score in the final 4:43. The Panthers used an 8-0 run over that span to win 66-59.

Combining the stats from both loses, FAU shot a miserable 4-40 from the three-point arc. Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor claims three, with Michael Forrest draining one.

Despite only draining three three-pointers over the last two games, Taylor still leads the team in scoring at 12.3 PPG. He also has a team high in 3FG with 56. Forward Jailyn Ingram is the only other Owl currently averaging double-digit scoring with 10.4 PPG.

Michael Forrest and Richardson Maitre are one solid shooting day away from adding their name to FAU's 10+ PPG club. The pair of guards average 9.8 and 9.1 PPG respectively.

While Taylor leads the team in 3FGs made, it is big-man Karlis Silins who claims the Owls' highest 3FG% at 39% (13-33). He scored 13 points in the first half of Saturday's game vs. FIU, but was held scoreless in the final period.

A win on Thursday will keep the Owls hopes of a place in the "top pod" of C-USA Bonus Play alive. While unlikely, going into Bonus Play as one of the conference's top five teams would provide the best possible tune-up going into the C-USA Tournament.

The Owls will travel to perennial conference power Louisiana Tech on Saturday.

Opening Line: FAU -1

Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

HUUUUUGE GAME!!!!!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Line have moved to FAU-2. Very interesting considering we haven't played great away from home all year.

Back to the top

Interesting to see Zecevic inserted back in the lineup against one of C-USA's best rebounders.

Back to the top

Owls up early in Hattiesburg!

Back to the top

HALFTIME. FAU leads Southern Miss, 33-31.

Don't be surprised that Ingram has a game high in both points and rebounds. He's been dominating tonight.

Back to the top

Man this is just a big game. Excited to watch more. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Posted On: Feb 13th 2020, 8:54 PM #394079
I jinxed it. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

NJOWL said

Posted On: Feb 13th 2020, 8:54 PM #394079
I jinxed it. 
Posted On: Feb 13th 2020, 9:03 PM #394080

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT

Back to the top

For those of you that don't know where NJOwl is coming from. USM's ESPN+ feed just crapped the bed.

Back to the top
Control functions: