Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: Binghamton vs FAU Feb 21-23, 2020

Add topic

What: Binghamton (0-3) vs. Florida Atlantic (4-0)

When: February 21st, 2020 - February 23rd, 2020

Where: FAU Baseball Stadium

Video: CUSA.tv

Live Stats: Here

Binghamton Team Site: Here

Series: Friday night will mark the first ever matchup between FAU and Binghamton.

Projected Starting Pitchers:

Binghamton

Friday, February 21st - LHP Tom Babalis  (0-1, 23.14)

Saturday, February 22nd - RHP Jack Collins (0-1, 13.50 ERA)

Sunday, February 23rd - RHP Josh Kopcza (0-0, 12.00 ERA)

FAU

Friday, February 21st - RHP Jacob Josey (0-0, 2.25 ERA)

Saturday, February 22nd- LHP Matt Sparling  (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

Sunday, February 23rd- RHP Corey Ireson (1-0, 4.50 ERA)

Notes

Owls

FAU enters the weekend series against Binghamton following an impressive 4-0 start to open the season. The Owls completed a series sweep against the Delaware Blue Hens and overcame an early game deficit from FGCU on Tuesday night with a final score of 6-4.

The early season streak has been fueled by impressive pitching by several of the Owls arms who now have larger roles. RHP Jacob Josey pitched 4 innings in the season opener and only gave up one earned run. Josey will be the teams Friday night starter in the series opener, usually given to the teams ace. Impressing out of the bullpen early on is RHP Mike Entenza. The Forrest Hill HS alum has been lights out in both of his appearances, with nine strikeouts while only giving up two hits in 5 innings of action.

Also off to a strong start to the season are OF`s Bobby Morgensen and Mitchell Hartigan. Both are hitting .462 to begin the year. Morgensen who already has 5 RBI, is one of the better power hitters on the club and has reached base in every game this season.

Keep an eye on freshmen INF Cade Parker, who is hitting currently hitting .571. The true freshmen looks to be adjusting well to the collegiate level, as he was 3-for-3 at the plate against Delaware in his first collegiate start.

This series will mark the end of the Owls's seven game opening home stand.

Bearcats

Binghamton is still in search of their first win of the season following a three game sweep by the Wofford Terriers in which they were outscored by a combined 29-10 margin.

Offensively, senior catcher TJ Wegmann hit .429 and belted the team's first home run of the season - a 2-run shot in Game 3. Senior second baseman Alex Baratta had five hits (.427) and two doubles. Senior third baseman Justin Drpich went 4-for-5 with 3 RBI in Game 2.

The Bears also have some other potential bats to account for in that of CF Shane Marshall and 1B Kevin Gsell. Marshall was named first team all conference last season and led the team in hitting with a .376 batting average. Gsell, a sophomore from Tabernacle, New Jersey hit .300 last season during Binghamton's postseason run.

The Bears are led by Head Coach Tim Sinicki, who helped spark a gift of $60 million to begin construction on a state-of-the-art new baseball stadium complex for the team. The 84,000-square-foot facility will include a clubhouse, indoor training facility and dozens of other amenities and will easily become the finest such facility in the Northeast and one of the best in the entire nation. The new stadium complex is set to open in Spring 2021 with the indoor facility to follow in 2022.

Binghamton's Friday night starter is LHP Tom Babalis, who was named the America East Rookie Of The Year last season. Bablis had a rough opening start, giving up 6 earned runs in 2 innings of play against Wofford.
Back to the top

I googled Binghamton baseball and saw their future complex. 60 million . Indoor practice field. Suites. Etc.  No mention if they have on site rest rooms. At our "stadium", for our convenience , rest rooms are located at the swimming facility. I chuckle  every time I hear that. But, we will sweep them to bring our record to 7-0.
Back to the top

Here is a link to see their new baseball facility;

Baseball Stadium Complex - Athletics | Binghamton University
Back to the top

I kind of find it charming things like the restrooms being at the swimming complex and the football team not drawing well. It’s like our little secret. Having said that I obviously want those things to improve 
Back to the top

Just arrived at the stadium. 20 mph wind blowing straight out to left field. Could make for an interesting game.
Back to the top

Impressed with FAU starter Jacob Josey through two innings.   The righty is yet to give up a hit.  Working in and around the strike zone. 
Back to the top

We’re underway from The Berm!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Coach McCormack makes a change at catcher. Tucker Mitchell now behind the plate replacing Nicholas Toney
Back to the top

Urbaez is going to be something special…

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Lefty Dylan O’Connell enters the game in relief for the Owls. Josey final line : 5.1 IP, 6 hits, 4 ER, 4K, 1 BB
Back to the top
Control functions: