Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New Attitude at FAU

Add topic

Here is a few things I have noticed since President Kelly has come as President of FAU.

1.) The attitude around the campus has gone from kinda of a sluggish beat to more up beat attitude. 
2.) President Kelly at all the graduation ceremonies is using the technology and social media with the students by posting their selfies during graduation. it helps the brand get out there.
3.) President Kelly has been reaching out to the area to find business partners, scholarship opportunities, and even securing the largest gift in FAU history which i know is in his job description but he has been very up front about it.
4.) Using the students to reach out to alumni for donations, even hosting the one day event around tax time by calling them or emailing  and not being overly pushy about donating. 
5.) Even sending out thank you letters for the donations on the one wave day that FAU had. 
6.) The open house fair with free tickets to FAU home games which was a huge success for the university.  
7.) Closely working with the local community to constantly improve the area and make it a more college town feel again part of his job, but improving the area has become a top priority.
8.) Finally just being more open to everything and listening to students.

Those are just a few things I have noticed since President Kelly has come on board. :cool:
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Here is a few things I have noticed since President Kelly has come as President of FAU.

1.) The attitude around the campus has gone from kinda of a sluggish beat to more up beat attitude. 
2.) President Kelly at all the graduation ceremonies is using the technology and social media with the students by posting their selfies during graduation. it helps the brand get out there.
3.) President Kelly has been reaching out to the area to find business partners, scholarship opportunities, and even securing the largest gift in FAU history which i know is in his job description but he has been very up front about it.
4.) Using the students to reach out to alumni for donations, even hosting the one day event around tax time by calling them or emailing  and not being overly pushy about donating. 
5.) Even sending out thank you letters for the donations on the one wave day that FAU had. 
6.) The open house fair with free tickets to FAU home games which was a huge success for the university.  
7.) Closely working with the local community to constantly improve the area and make it a more college town feel again part of his job, but improving the area has become a top priority.
8.) Finally just being more open to everything and listening to students.

Those are just a few things I have noticed since President Kelly has come on board. :cool:
Posted On: May 13th 2015, 9:00 PM #345231

…and I will take this opportunity to invite Dr. Kelly to drive 4 blocks to my Store and sign my wall!  Are we really trying to create a 20th street corridor or not? Everyone else seems to be on board. Let's go Owls!!  :Winking:
Back to the top

President Kelly has no doubt elevated this university and is starting to grasp that ever-elusive "potential" so many people attribute to FAU. There's still a LOT of work to be done in building up 20th street, attracting more research and increasing student opportunities like internships, but he's working at a great pace so far. Each of those components in and of itself is a huge, time-consuming job.

With regards to 20th Street, there's an easier way and a hard way to develop it. The easier way is obviously to say, "this is now a college district" and then entice developers piece-by-piece to build in the area - a restaurant here, a housing project there (like what's going on now).

This is what I imagine will happen, though ideally we would do it the harder way where you physically remove all the buildings flanking the road, bury the powerlines, widen the sidewalks, build new mixed use buildings closer to the road and then use those retail vacancies to draw in developers. There's a lot of infrastructure to put down which would take, what, 5-10 years depending on scale and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up looking like, say, the new area with Tijuana Flats/Five Guys on Linton across from Sports Authority.

Now, that second technique would obviously take a ton more planning, cost more money and likely generate a lot of unrest as you unroot some of the businesses like Boca Bargoons who have been there forever. I imagine some of those people would move for the right price while others will hold out, especially if they think their property will increase in value with the new direction.

Anyway, that the City punted to the Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council suggests that they may be doing this second technique, though I haven't seen anything about the results yet. There's also talk about adding a train station on 20th near Dixie there for the new FEC passenger rail, which is exciting, especially if it can connect students on 20th street with Atlantic Ave and Mizner Park. You'd then have three "downtown" areas very accessible to you even without a car.

All speculation, of course, but exciting stuff. You may remember that Kelly talked about "embedding FAU' into the 20th street so that may be part of the negotiations as well. Generally speaking, the City doesn't want the university to step outside of its footprint so that may take some finesse.
Back to the top

I don't want to do the research. Is Kelly the first president that was hired from the administration of a nationaly ranked university (tier 1)?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

he could have been but we have to check.
Back to the top
Control functions: