Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Marching Owls Director moving on to UAB

Add topic

Dr. Sean Murray is leaving FAU to join UAB:

UAB - News - UAB names Sean Murray as new director of the Marching Blazers

I'm bummed he's leaving because he made my undergrad years something special. However, I'm happy for him and for UAB!
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Dr. Sean Murray is leaving FAU to join UAB:

UAB - News - UAB names Sean Murray as new director of the Marching Blazers

I'm bummed he's leaving because he made my undergrad years something special. However, I'm happy for him and for UAB!
Posted On: Apr 6th 2017, 1:19 PM #368130

Bummed as well. He is a good guy. But happy for him.
Back to the top

We REALLY need to put some focus on improving our band, I know everything costs money but a respectable band at the D1 level is important in college football.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

We REALLY need to put some focus on improving our band, I know everything costs money but a respectable band at the D1 level is important in college football.
Posted On: Apr 6th 2017, 3:35 PM #368134

I agree and I have posted about this MANY times. How can Jacksonville St. put out a 300+ member marching band and WE can't pull 100 (not even close last year!).

It is embarassing the comments I hear from visiting families and I JUST DON'T GET IT!

To my knowledge HS marching bands are pretty decent in Florida, many with bands WAY MORE than twice as large as ours. I know in GA the bands are all sizes but VERY MANY 200-350!!! Let's see, college in Bama or S. Florida, we could do this in one year IMHO! AND boost on-campus housing and school enrollment.

For a school that BOASTS enrollment of 30K why can we not grow the band???? College bands in Bama allow student who commit to marching band from out of state IN STATE TUITION! They know they are gonna have to  use campus housing and meal plans and books to still rake in $$$ - WHY CAN'T WE DO THE SAME??????????????????

FAU wants to be big time but we still do so much so small! To me our goal to marching band should be 200 MINIMUM, 250-300 perferably. THINK OF THE SOUND IN FAU STADIUM THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

FAU could easily have a 200 to 300 member marching band.  Growing it is not the problem, funding it is.  It's not necessary to give in state tuition to be in the band, the point of in state tuition is you live in the state you pay taxes that help support the state universities.  I don't think we need the state to give a subsidy to an out of state student.  The state is big enough to find all the talent we need to fill the band.

I don't know who funds the band, athletics or the school.  My guess is athletics due to the lack of funding that goes to it.  Hopefully Dr. Kelly will move forward on his desire for a larger band.  Remember you can designate the use of any donation you make to the university.   
Back to the top

I'd heard that a main deterrent on band membership was that he wouldn't take anyone that wasn't a music major…any truth to that? 

If the new leader has a different vision, perhaps we could have a big band in no time.
Back to the top

teambeer said

I'd heard that a main deterrent on band membership was that he wouldn't take anyone that wasn't a music major…any truth to that? 

If the new leader has a different vision, perhaps we could have a big band in no time.
Posted On: Apr 6th 2017, 9:18 PM #368144

If true I hope so. marching Band does NOT require a music major, it is for school spirit and entertainment!
Back to the top

This is a video of the Clemson marching band;

Not super huge but nice size, something FAU would be very proud of!!!

And IF FAU could field a 200 member band from only Florida kids, fine but if nit, do the Bama thing guys - get the band respectable too!
Back to the top

UAB site says their band is over 200 members - not bad. personally if the music major issue is his policy than I am personally glad he is gone. lets get someone in who WANTS a quality and decent sized marching band.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

This is a video of the Clemson marching band;

Not super huge but nice size, something FAU would be very proud of!!!

And IF FAU could field a 200 member band from only Florida kids, fine but if nit, do the Bama thing guys - get the band respectable too!

Posted On: Apr 6th 2017, 9:52 PM #368146

Th have 300 plus members.
Back to the top
Control functions: