Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 Roster

Add topic

Was bored at the office today cruisin the interwebs and found myself on the Fau Baseball roster page.  Seems as though they have updated for the 2018 Roster excluding any new signees.  What was interesting though was that there were some good players missing.  I figured I wouldn't see Gary Mattis on there (still don't know what really happened with him), but the one guy in particular that was missing that I noticed was aldrich dejongh (sp).  Did I miss something?  Anyone have any insights on guys not returning.  
Back to the top

DeJongh will not be back, no issues other than playing time. Great kid, great student.
Back to the top

Rick said

DeJongh will not be back, no issues other than playing time. Great kid, great student.
Posted On: Jun 30th 2017, 9:22 AM #369303

Thx Rick.  

Well dang, hate to see us lose guys like him.  Think he had a ton of potential, just needed some time to adjust to D1 level competition.  He showed a few glimpses of greatness as a true freshman.  

Pitching looks pretty decent for next year.  Going to need a lot of new faces to step into the starting lineup and make immediate impacts though.  
Back to the top

I was looking forward to watching DeJongh develop here. And, I echo Rick's sentiments, a really good guy. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him. Mathiowetz is missing from the roster, though his twitter account and St. Cloud Rox (summer wood bat league) roster imply he's returning. That out of state tuition and baseball having diddly for scholarships, though, may be(come) an issue.

It' not an addition, but some more depth, and will be nice to have Gunnar Lambert back. Abraham, Pages, an Lambert can't all catch at the same time, so fall practice will be interesting to see who may be playing some IF. Abraham played the left side sometime last year, and may be do a double take to see who had rocket velocity on a throw to first.
Back to the top

I thought Pedro was outstanding last season. Once he gets more at bats, he will be very good.
Back to the top

MLBBoca said

I was looking forward to watching DeJongh develop here. And, I echo Rick's sentiments, a really good guy. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him. Mathiowetz is missing from the roster, though his twitter account and St. Cloud Rox (summer wood bat league) roster imply he's returning. That out of state tuition and baseball having diddly for scholarships, though, may be(come) an issue.

It' not an addition, but some more depth, and will be nice to have Gunnar Lambert back. Abraham, Pages, an Lambert can't all catch at the same time, so fall practice will be interesting to see who may be playing some IF. Abraham played the left side sometime last year, and may be do a double take to see who had rocket velocity on a throw to first.
Posted On: Jul 5th 2017, 9:40 AM #369354

Good eye.  Hope Mathiowetz returns also but it seems kind of odd he's still not listed either still.  

What concerns me is why are these guys leaving.  If the complaint is lack of playing time then next season should be as good as chance as they will ever have in their life to earn a starting roster spot on a D1 team with as many open spots as we are going to have.  Is there turmoil in the clubhouse being kept under wraps or is this just the results of having to deal with the entitlement generation of players these days. Lol

On another note(not exactly player roster for 2018 but coaching roster for 2018) any updates on Coach Jackson replacement.  Those are going to be big shoes to fill.  

Back to the top

MLBBoca said

Posted On: Jul 5th 2017, 9:40 AM #369354

I agree, I was also looking forward to watching dejongh develop at Fau. Hate that he didn't give it one more season.   Don't know if you have ever noticed but Rice always has 1 or 2 guys like dejongh on their roster that they utilize in many ways their first year or two(the smaller athletic speedster type guys that get overlooked by the bigger programs because of their size).  By their junior/senior seasons they are always major contributors.  Oh well, hate to see him go.  
Back to the top

Coach Mac said "we will be fine" regarding Jackson's departure…FWIW. 
Back to the top

roscoeowl said

Good eye.  Hope Mathiowetz returns also but it seems kind of odd he's still not listed either still.  

What concerns me is why are these guys leaving.  If the complaint is lack of playing time then next season should be as good as chance as they will ever have in their life to earn a starting roster spot on a D1 team with as many open spots as we are going to have.  Is there turmoil in the clubhouse being kept under wraps or is this just the results of having to deal with the entitlement generation of players these days. Lol

On another note(not exactly player roster for 2018 but coaching roster for 2018) any updates on Coach Jackson replacement.  Those are going to be big shoes to fill.  

Posted On: Jul 11th 2017, 6:27 PM #369384

It really is not a lot of eligible players not returning, just four: DeJongh, Mathiowetz, Alex Ray, and Andrew Jones. Mattis is not on the roster for 2018, but I am not certain of his eligibility. For 2017, there were nine eligible that did not return: Catanza, Bonilla, Marrero, Henderson, Jones, Oliva, Ferriera, Siegel (played in fall, but was not on final roster), Kirksey (won Iron Owl and became an assistant). I don't know where most went. Bonilla, in a similar situation to DeJongh, didn't return for his junior year this season because of playing time (he's playing DII at USC Aiken). A couple years before that, with a similar skillset to Bonilla and DeJongh, it was Geoff Jiminez, who also left to play at DII (Nova Southeastern) just to get in some playing time. Mathiowetz is a bit of different a different case because he is additionally subject to out of state tuition in addition to any playing time issues.

Among pitchers, we lost House to the draft, Ragsdale and Labsan graduated, and Andrew Jones transferred to State College of Florida (JuCo).

By my count, we have 13 open spots on the roster. There are currently 14 pitchers on the roster, including Poore. Last year, we used 16 pitchers. In short, of the 13 open spots, keeping similar numbers, 2 will likely be pitchers and 11 are likely to be filled by position players. That's going to make the competition for position spots even tougher. (BTW - if wondering how if had used 16 pitchers last year, four listed above are not returning, and yet have 14 returning pitchers, LHP Dylan O'Connell and RHP Chris Moore redshirted last year, and are returnees).

As for open spots, I don't see as many as some others. We have three guys who were at times regulars in the OF returning in Miranda, Rivera, and Poore. I'm guessing at least two locks for OF, with a battle for the 3rd OF to be a very good one (Revilla has a good fall, but was sidelined and redshirted in January, and could make things interesting). The battle for catcher, another great battle, may also resolve one IF position; my SWAG is 3B. I guarantee Summerall will impress those who have not seen him yet at 1B. Frank, of course, will be at SS. 2B is the biggest question in my mind. As for DH, the catching battle may resolve that as well. As for batting side, I see at least one switch, at 1B, as Summerall bats left. Also, should Lambert become a regular at C or IF, that is another switch from right to left. The OF looks like it stay be 1 right, 2 left regardless of who becomes the 3rd OF based upon the current roster. Picking up 2 more lefty bats could prove significant because of both our normally prevailing wind at home, and there being far more IP by RHP than LHP. Last year we had Miranda, Poore/Shouppe, and at times Labsan as DH, but were generally somewhat overweight RH batting team. I think we may have a more left-right balance in the batting order next year. Should Lambert be a regular position player, and there an option for LH batter at DH, we could easily have 5 good lefty bats facing RHP.

After Gipson, Garton, and Gomber, if one of the pitchers not yet on the roster has a last name that begins with a "G", there are going to be high expectations. That said, without the "G-man," I think with the current roster, we will have a strong rotation, with a couple nice anchors, even into the midweek games. With what we already have on the roster, I foresee a good, at least 3-man, battle for the closer.

So, for reasons stated above, I don't believe there are any clubhouse issues (and am not worried about a re-building as I see this as more of a re-loading season). What is for certain is that I cannot wait for the fall intra-squads.
Back to the top

The fall roster is out, and I like it. What is also notable is that due to the NCAA limited the number of baseball scholarships to a ludicrous 11.7 per team, making it difficult to recruit out of state as they pay higher tuition, there are what may be a record six out of state players (two each from California and Indiana, one each from Delaware and Massachusetts). It's nice that the program has progressed to the point and gained the national attention so that  players are finding it worth the price to come here from out of state. Forbes recently had an article listing the top 25 programs that had players selected for the drafts in NFL, NBA, and MLB combined over the past four years. Looking at the MLB numbers alone, FAU would have come in 24th. Players develop at FAU, and it is being noticed across the country.

FAUSPORTS.COM Official Baseball Roster :: Florida Atlantic University Official Athletic Site Florida Atlantic University Official Athletic Site - Baseball
Back to the top
Control functions: