Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2014-2015 CUSA Basketball Discussion

Add topic

He went 21-11 at the DI Level.

Until another FAU coach does that…
Back to the top

Rick said

Posted On: Mar 9th 2015, 10:18 PM #343420

What?
Jarvis might be the single worst coach of any FAU athletic program in school history.
I'm sorry but 18 year old basketball players can be selfish at times but Jarvis and his ego chased them away. It is his Job to guide those kids and he failed. 
1 ok season spent mean anything and I say "ok" because we lost in the 1st round of the confrence tourney.
If Jarvis was your friend that's fine and I'm sure he was a good guy but let's not Luse sight how how he failed here.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Rick said

What?
Jarvis might be the single worst coach of any FAU athletic program in school history.
I'm sorry but 18 year old basketball players can be selfish at times but Jarvis and his ego chased them away. It is his Job to guide those kids and he failed.
1 ok season spent mean anything and I say "ok" because we lost in the 1st round of the confrence tourney.
If Jarvis was your friend that's fine and I'm sure he was a good guy but let's not Luse sight how how he failed here.

Posted On: Mar 9th 2015, 11:28 PM #343421

Just because you don't like a guy doesn't mean you can re-write history.  He won a regular season conference championship.  Which no other FAU basketball coach has ever done.  Yes, the post season was a disappointment, but we never enjoyed a season like that in the 15 years I have followed the program.  You deserve Sydney Green.

one other thing "Luse" is not a word.
Back to the top

Glad you brought up history. Please look at his history.Go way back. Everywhere he leaves, there has been controversy. The basketball fans from the Northeast all wished us luck when we hired him. I personally don't know him, but i feel like he was not a positive for fau basketball. Glad we moved on. btw…OC is correct when he said
 the coaches job is to work with, build and mold student athletes. Not run them off.
Back to the top

Guest said

owlcountry40 said

Rick said

What?

Just because you don't like a guy doesn't mean you can re-write history.  He won a regular season conference championship.  Which no other FAU basketball coach has ever done.  Yes, the post season was a disappointment, but we never enjoyed a season like that in the 15 years I have followed the program.  You deserve Sydney Green.

one other thing "Luse" is not a word.
Posted On: Mar 10th 2015, 12:29 AM #343422

I totally can respect defending Jarvis for personal reasons. The losses bothered me, never winning a conference tournament game bothered me, but the part that bothered me the most is every year we had a new basketball team on the court. I'm sorry I don't believe teams all over of the nation had the best players transferring out and even worst transferring to your biggest rivals. 
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Rick said

What?

I said everyone has a different perspective based on their personal experiences.  I gave the reasons based on mine.  You don't have to like my reasons but they are my reasons.  Your reason is that you think Jarvis is the worst coach in school history.  

Fair enough…So, what did you like better about all of FAU's previous basketball coaches who have all had their own various struggles?

BTW, FAU has never had a real successful basketball program.  It's not like the wheels fell off all of a sudden.  We have been riding on the rims for a very long time  :Winking:
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

I totally can respect defending Jarvis for personal reasons. The losses bothered me, never winning a conference tournament game bothered me, but the part that bothered me the most is every year we had a new basketball team on the court. I'm sorry I don't believe teams all over of the nation had the best players transferring out and even worst transferring to your biggest rivals. 
Posted On: Mar 10th 2015, 7:31 AM #343424

I absolutely agree. The biggest disappointment in the Jarvis era was the post-season struggles.  To have that incredible run we had of winning the season conference championship and then falling completely flat in post season was horrible.

As far as losing players who didn't want to work hard in practice, or smoked weed, or failed in the classroom–I couldn't care less about losing them.  Some of that goes on the coach, some of it is getting quality kids instead of kids who may have talent but are selfish.

Same thing happens in football all the time but it is easier to recover because of the number of players. A couple missteps in basketball and it is difficult.

Next year we will have a large portion of our roster who are transfers from elsewhere for various reasons. Hopefully it all works out and we can then discuss the greatest coach in FAU history, Michael Curry.
Back to the top

Guest said

You deserve Sydney Green

Haha. You are obviously an old fart like me.  

I think we agree Green was the worst coach ever, but funny that he was the only coach to get us to the Big Dance.

I saw games where he would not even stand up during the game. Just sat there and watched as we got our butts kicked. Made no effort sometimes to actually coach.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Guest said

You deserve Sydney Green
Haha. You are obviously an old fart like me.

I think we agree Green was the worst coach ever, but funny that he was the only coach to get us to the Big Dance.

I saw games where he would not even stand up during the game. Just sat there and watched as we got our butts kicked. Made no effort sometimes to actually coach.

Posted On: Mar 10th 2015, 8:57 AM #343427

I played on pickup basketball teams that called more set plays than Sydney did.  His claim to fame was family friend had their kid come play and he was a stud.  I think his name was Williams, after he left, it was all over.  That team that went to the tournament was a complete fluke, we got hot at the right team.

By the way Jarvis is the 3rd winningest coach in FAU history, behind Doughtery (1 season small sample) and Rex. 
Back to the top

Guest said

His claim to fame was family friend had their kid come play and he was a stud. I think his name was Williams, after he left, it was all over…
Posted On: Mar 10th 2015, 12:19 PM #343429

Robert Williams never averaged more than 8 points a game in a season and was a 3rd or 4th option for the most part offensively…do you mean Raheim Brown? He was the guy who teamed up with Crumbley to send us to The Big Dance and played on the same teams as Williams.

Back to the top
Control functions: