Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 9-15-18

Add topic

GeorgiaOwl said

d-owl said

Rick said

FINAL:

FIU 63  UMass 24
Posted On: Sep 15th 2018, 11:37 PM #380803
I told anyone that wanted to listen that the team from down south is going to be a lot better than people think. They lost a lot but there is some legit talent on that team, and Butch will certainly coach them up. At least from what I am seeing so far, that game in Miami will not be a walk in the park.
Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 10:19 AM #380838
They have done well but vs. very weak teams. UMASS has shown no D all year really. But I may be wrong….
Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 10:41 AM #380840
It's a bad C USA for the most part, they destroyed a FBS team even though it's UMASS and had a great come from behind victory on the road. They also had a very good showing against a B10 team and were right in that game. They are getting confidence and they have the Butch factor.
Back to the top

Can somone explain how not dancing and having fun makes an 18 year old leg stronger?

I don’t think you relize how old and lame this sports cliche is. “Better not smile because you’re playing poorly eerrrrrrrrr” Old man point his finer from the stands.
   Kicking is like golf sometimes being relaxed and having fun you hit it better.

Our KOS was kicking it short as well and he wasn’t dancing and it didn’t help him.

Back to the top

Regarding the punter, I really didn't pay attention to him on the sideline, but cringe every time I see us in punt formation.  Now that is not all him, but I don't think Kiffin went for all those 4th downs just to burn clock - I think he felt it might be safer to just try that versus having another one blocked.

After the run I saw from Johnson, I say if we do really try to punt let's put him back there - bad snap or huge rush and he might be able to make chicken salad out of……
Back to the top

OC…It's a generational thing. I wouldn't expect you to agree with me. I'm older. Kind of like free health care and eliminating student dept.  We just won't agree. Let me put it this way, if he were my kid doing that, I would tell him to knock it off because you  look like a fool. Again, we won't agree on that either. But that's ok.
Back to the top

What an interesting discussion….sigh….

I think the issue here isn't the dancing as it pertains to athletic prowess, but rather dancing as a reflection of work ethic and commitment to the team (and by extension commitment to winning).

And if my comments put me on the side of the old fogies then so be it.

But I imagine Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and most other universally accepted winners don't let their players dance on the sidelines after sub-par performances.  I've been on the sidelines for multiple college football games at FSU, Miami, and UF and have worked four national championship games (including ones coached by the two men mentioned above) and I don't recall the players not being focused on the game at hand.

You can call them old fogies but they have the rings so it might just come with the territory.

The coach gets the Gatorade bath when the game is over, not after a blocked punt for a touchdown.  The confetti is dropped when the clock strikes zero, not after a 25 yard punt.

It also makes you wonder about the attention to detail, reviewing the game plan, knowing the assignments, the effort given in practice and in the weight room to get that stronger leg, etc.  Those are some of the assumptions made when seeing this kind of behavior.

Fun is usually a byproduct of hard work, not a replacement for.  You can have fun because you've put in the hard work and you're reaping the reward.

(And trust me - I get it - I have this same discussion at work from time to time as well.  There's no reason why you can't enjoy hard work as you go.  But you're allowed to because you've worked hard and you're prepared).
Back to the top

Hey hey hey, I'm mid 50s. Far from dead. Just a different generation.. But you are 100% correct. Now lets figure out how to keep the UCF game close.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

I think the issue here isn't the dancing as it pertains to athletic prowess, but rather dancing as a reflection of work ethic and commitment to the team (and by extension commitment to winning).
Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 4:24 PM #380857

*ding ding ding*

Give the man a prize!

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

The dancing thing, which I didn't notice, doesn't bother me. But it can be tied into what I've been noticing. Here's what I've noticed. In interviews, all I hear is "now everyone knows how talented I am" and "I'll keep proving to everyone that I'm not the guy I was at my prior school". I see defenders going for knockout hits and missing EVERY game to try to help their draft stock. Considering that there's serious issues with special teams and defense, this is not good.
Back to the top

Rick said

Hoot_N_Holler said

Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 4:24 PM #380857

*ding ding ding*

Give the man a prize!

Posted On: Sep 16th 2018, 5:04 PM #380859
But that’s an assumption. You have no idea what his work ethic is. He is freshmen walk on punter.

Just the fact he walked on shows he has some sorda work ethic becuase how much FBS football requires time wise.
Back to the top

Obviously not very good given he's the worst punter in the conference! 

I'm moving on… 
Back to the top
Control functions: