Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 11-16-19

Add topic

FINAL:

La Tech 10  Marshall 31

All Owls need to root for Charlotte!
Back to the top

Wow - seems like there is a good chance this will be a rematch for the conference championship???  In the East, Marshall probably isn't losing again (Charlotte and FIU left).  In the West, La Tech has UAB (could lose) and UTSA.  I guess the West could end up with a logjam of La Tech, UAB, and Southern Miss at 6-2 (after we beat the Golden Eagles), but unless UAB beats La Tech we will probably see this game again.

We can pull hard for Charlotte and FIU, but at this stage FAU just has to concentrate on getting 9 wins and a good bowl game.  Golden opportunity missed in that Marshall game a few weeks ago.  The funny thing is the best teams in the conference very well could be FAU and Southern Miss playing the last week of the season rather than in the championship.
Back to the top

Here's the updated conference standings with Marshall regaining the top spot in the East.

Both Charlotte and FIU sit at 5 wins. I think we'd all rather want Charlotte to beat the Herd, and go bowling, over FIU.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

La. Tech in trouble again next week vs. UAB and QB and WR received 2 games suspension for whatever stupid crap they did! The three suspended have ruined a great year for La. Tech., they WERE 8-1 and receiving votes but no more. They lose to UAB next week AT UAB and even West title blown!

The OTHER bad news for the Owls is S. Miss. now has WAY MORE to play for when they face us now.

UNC Charlotte CAN beat Marshall and it IS in Charlotte, so we still have a shot if we win out and….

Oh, and FIU plays Marshall in Huntington the last week of season. How funny would it be IF FIU beats them to put us in first! :Laughing:

Bottom line is we have to win out for any chance! Prep and practice hard this week Owls and take it to UTSA, don't beat just  'em, embarrass them!!!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

La. Tech in trouble again next week vs. UAB and QB and WR received 2 games suspension for whatever stupid crap they did! The three suspended have ruined a great year for La. Tech., they WERE 8-1 and receiving votes but no more. They lose to UAB next week AT UAB and even West title blown!

The OTHER bad news for the Owls is S. Miss. now has WAY MORE to play for when they face us now.

UNC Charlotte CAN beat Marshall and it IS in Charlotte, so we still have a shot if we win out and….

Oh, and FIU plays Marshall in Huntington the last week of season. How funny would it be IF FIU beats them to put us in first! :Laughing:

Bottom line is we have to win out for any chance! Prep and practice hard this week Owls and take it to UTSA, don't beat just  'em, embarrass them!!!

GO OWLS!
Posted On: Nov 16th 2019, 7:43 AM #390822

Your giving UAB way to much credit. They haven’t beaten a good team this year. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

GeorgiaOwl said

GO OWLS!
Posted On: Nov 16th 2019, 7:43 AM #390822

Your giving UAB way to much credit. They haven’t beaten a good team this year. 
Posted On: Nov 16th 2019, 7:50 AM #390823

Very true and their QB has been hurt as well. But La. Tech did not look nor play well on O at all with back-up QB. IF UAB gets theirs back it will be very possible for them to beat a very weakened La. Tech!
Back to the top

The West is a 3-team race:
  • Southern Miss wins if they win out with the head-to-head over both La Tech and UAB regardless of what happens next weekend (but I am a homer and predict the Golden Eagles fall to the Owls in the last game)
  • La Tech will still be in the lead after this weekend with their head-to-head win over Southern Miss, but have to win out to ensure they have the title.  Huge game against UAB next weekend.
  • UAB can still win the West if they win out with one of those giving them the head-to-head over La Tech and Southern Miss losing 2 more games because they took a beat down in the head-to-head with Southern Miss.
With La Tech's suspensions, and me hoping for the FAU win in the last weekend, it seems like there is a great chance the West ends with at least a 2-way and quite possibly a 3-way tie.  I don't know the tie-breakers, but since Southern Miss would have wins over both UAB and La Tech in any kind of tie scenario I assume they would be the champs.

The East is really a 2-team race with a more probable outcome:
  • Marshall wins-out and they are division champs
  • FAU has to win-out and have Marshall lose at least 1 game
  • I guess technically WKU could win-out and have Marshall and FAU lose both games they have left since they lost head-to-head to the top 2 team, but that seems highly unlikely
I see a lot of people giving Charlotte a chance against The Herd, but I think Marshall plays too good a defense for either the 49ers or FIU to beat them.  We can hope, but like I said before - FAU just needs to focus on trying to get to 9-wins.  I don't see anything mattering if we lose another game, and 9-3 on a 5-game win strike will position us for hopefully a better bowl than 8-4 coming off a loss would.  Crazy things could happen, but let's just take care of what we can take care of.
Back to the top

Awesome writeup Owlsdad! Just imagine, a three-way tie in the West! And looking at the teams' schedule and results, it could be a while until we found our West Division champion. We may have to go to the SIXTH tiebreaker in order to find the winner!

Here's the Three or More Teams Tiebreaking Procedure:

1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall CUSA play.

2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.

3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.

4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.

5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.

6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of finish.

7. If still tied, team with highest CFP ranking.

8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship game most recently.

*If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams will begin the process again at #2*

With Rule #6, the title would go to LaTech.

Remember, this is only the case if USM beats us and if UAB beats Tech.

Back to the top

FINAL:

UTEP 10  UAB 37

Miner head Coach Dana Dimel (2-20) really should be fired at this point. Only problem is, he has a four year buyout remaining which equals $2.8M.
Back to the top

Anybody else think Rick Stockstill's seat is (again) getting warm?

His 3-6 Blue Raiders are down 31-14 at home to winless Rice at the half. The boo-birds came out as MTSU went into the locker room.

But there's one slight issue for MTSU's athletic department regarding a divorce with Stockstill: his 6 million dollar buyout.

Back to the top
Control functions: