Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2016 Conference USA Baseball Tournament Thread

Add topic

fauowl said

OC Irritant said

Win and some will start coming.  Then we can figure out how to get more people.
Posted On: May 23rd 2016, 5:16 PM #356307
Sounds like you don't want to do anything until we win.

Unless we plan to never lose, we need to do other things. Of course we need to win. That is not rocket science. But winning is fleeting.

We need to build a better game day experience and tradition.

I don't think we have a great game day experience. I don't know what it is but it reminds me of when the Dolphins played in the crappy old Orange Bowl (I had season tix) and we got this great Joe Robbie Stadium and the game day experience turned into this corporate sterile environment for years.

I don't have the answer. There are plenty of people on staff who came from big name programs who can figure this out. I did not come from a big name program. I came from FAU.

The stadium is absolutely awesome., but the experience of game day is lacking something.

If our plan is that winning will cure everything, we are mistaken.

Posted On: May 23rd 2016, 10:01 PM #356310

No, I don't want to wait until we are winning which I hope is this year.  But the fact is, a stadium draws a crowd 1 time and that is the opening of the stadium after that the stadium doesn't draw crowds.  It will keep people away if it is like Lockhart, or $9 beers or bad service.  Focus on the service.  The powers to be have done everything they can to bring people to see a losing team.  You have to win and then we see where the baseline is for attendance. 
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

My 2 cents on game day at the stadium - pretty low key if not dull.

Yeah the experience is like a house party that is trying to keep quiet enough so nobody calls the cops.

Back to the top

Who: No. 13 Florida Atlantic (37-15) vs. Charlotte (23-30)
What: Conference USA Tournament First Round

Wednesday, 5/25 @ 1:30 PM

FAU: LHP Sean Labsan (5-1, 1.43 ERA, 44 IP, 37 H, 39 K, 15 BB)
CHAR: LHP Josh Maciejewski (5-6, 5.31 ERA, 79.2 IP, 80 H, 61 K, 33 BB)

Notes

Florida Atlantic earned the No. 1 seed in the Conference USA tournament with a 21-8 Conference USA record, winning the outright championship.

FAU is hitting .292 as a team with a .388 on-base percentage with 29 home runs, 11 triples and 97 doubles. FAU has out-scored opponents 314-189 and averages more than ten hits per game with 49 double plays turned and a .978 fielding percentage.

The Owls dropped the regular season series to the 49ers (7-12, 17-8, 6-7) in what was an offensive outpouring and will be looking for revenge in Wednesday's tilt.

Sean Labsan makes his return on the mound after being sidelined for the final two weekends of regular season action.

Back to the top

Start time for today's contest was delayed (shocker) to 2:50 PM due to a 13-12 marathon between Rice and LaTech.

Rice won.

FAU will face either one of them tomorrow - Rice (W) or La Tech (L).

The are already down 3-0 in the top of the first - ouch.

Labsan 2 BB, 2H, and an infield error by Kerr.

Back to the top

The Owls overcome a three run first inning deficit behind a 12 hit performance to advance within the winner's bracket.

Brandon Rhodes was stellar in relief, tossing five innings while allowing just two hits and one run.

Brett Lashley was 3-4 and Christian Dicks and Esteban Puerta each had doubles.

UPDATED TOURNEY RESULTS: 2016 Conference USA Baseball Tournament Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

Rice's Duplantier got rocked today. At least he won't face us. Keep the bats hot guys.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Rice's Duplantier got rocked today. At least he won't face us. Keep the bats hot guys.
Posted On: May 25th 2016, 6:17 PM #356337

THAT sounds good! Go Owls! FAU Owls that is!!! :Laughing:
Back to the top

Highlights from today:

Back to the top

Rick said

Highlights from today:

Posted On: May 25th 2016, 8:52 PM #356342
If you look at Billy's AB in the fiirst, about midway through the video, when he grounded to SS and SS had throwing error, it appears that Billy beat the throw and should have had hit and advance on the error rather than the 2-base error. If you go full screen with the video, you can move the slider a pixel at a time and follow the ball and Billy as Billy hits the bag with his left foot. On the radio, it sounded like Brandon questioned the scoring, and it appears to me he was right.
Back to the top

I'm not sleeping on Rice. Very good baseball squad, and very good line up. tomorrow will be  a good game.

Back to the top
Control functions: