Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 FAU Baseball Schedule

Add topic

A week after combining for three runs in a 10-inning game, Florida Atlantic University baseball and UCF needed just an inning and a half to exceed that, and the Owls outlasted the Knights 11-8 Tuesday at the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches.

“Jordan Poore picked us up, that was a really, really good performance,” said Head Coach John McCormack. “He settled down and got valuable outs, then Drew (Peden), has been really good for us these two years. The offense was really good, Dave (Miranda) had a good night, Jared (DeSantolo) had a good night, we had 12 hits. This has to be a record in my career, six stolen bases tonight. All in all, it’s a Tuesday night and I’m glad we won.”

UCF (32-17) was up 4-2 heading into the bottom of the third, but FAU (32-14-1) reclaimed the lead just four batters in. A two-run triple by David Miranda plated two, and on the very next pitch, he came in on an Eric Rivera RBI groundout to make it 5-4.

Though the Knights squared it again their next turn, what would prove to be the game-winner came in the home fourth, as Richie Nizza reached on an error, stole both second and third, and scored on a two-out RBI single by Joe Montes.

Three more in the fifth (two on a bases-loaded single by Jared DeSantolo, the other on a Nizza RBI single), and two in the sixth (Cody Wilson hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and a DeSantolo fielder’s choice RBI) wrapped the FAU scoring.

UCF was kept off the board after a three-run sixth, with Jordan Poore throwing 2 2/3 scoreless, and Drew Peden wrapping it with a zero in the ninth.

Just six games remain on FAU’s regular season schedule: three this weekend, beginning Friday in Murfreesboro, Tennessee against Middle Tennessee, and the final home series, vs. WKU, May 17-19.
Back to the top

Any idea how we look going into the last series of the year?  Are we going to see any of the players who are currently out (Miednik, Nowatnik, Pages) again?
Back to the top

Pages had surgery last Friday and is hopeful for return before post season… Miednik and Nowatnick are working our and trying to get back into the rotation… 
Back to the top

To the guys that follow FAU baseball..Rick,MLBOwl, would you agree that this squad, when healthy, was the best all around team in a few years ? Even with injuries we are winning CUSA series. They have really impressed me. Hard to imagine this team with our top three pitchers healthy.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

To the guys that follow FAU baseball..Rick,MLBOwl, would you agree that this squad, when healthy, was the best all around team in a few years ? Even with injuries we are winning CUSA series. They have really impressed me. Hard to imagine this team with our top three pitchers healthy.
Posted On: May 14th 2018, 6:38 PM #378321

I'd say that this team has benefited greatly from playing what ended up being a pretty weak/soft schedule and an extremely down year for CUSA.  In my opinion (not that you asked specifically lol) I would say ehh, not really.  Not bad but not one of those teams we've had in the past where you knew if we were clicking then we could hang with anyone.   Others will probably have a more rosy opinion than I though.  
Back to the top

He said "in a few years"…

:Big-Grin:

Anyway, in the last few years, yes I would say this is the best "all around team" we would have had…losing Marman was a huge blow…guy was on fire…Miednik getting bitten by the injury bug has been an issue as well…Nowatnick compounds matters because it forces the pen to pick up even more slack…

We're doing pretty good offensively now, but we are hurting at times on the mound. That's cost us a 40 win season, IMHO.

Back to the top
Control functions: