Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

B-Ball signing day

Add topic

B-Ball signing day

I don't know if Stuard has commited anywhere yet. The only thing I have read is he is visiting K-state. Hopefully he won't like it.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

I don't know if he was really pursued by FAU or not. Sometimes when a school show an interest the kid will list them as a solid offer. That's not always the case. Seems like a good player but I hope we're not losing BBall talent to DII Jacksonville! Unless he saw the depth at FAU's guard spot and realized that he would have to wait his turn here.

Article:

PREP COMMITMENT

Freedom's Duggins Picks Jacksonville
Skip directly to the full story.
By ANWAR S. RICHARDSON [email protected]

Published: Apr 11, 2006

TAMPA - Freedom senior guard Derek Duggins has verbally committed to play basketball for Jacksonville University.

Duggins (6-foot-4) chose the Dolphins over High Point University, Florida Atlantic, Stetson and Florida Southern College. He will officially sign during a ceremony on Wednesday.

"I really liked the staff. I got to develop a relationship with them while they were recruiting me and I felt comfortable," Duggins said. "They never told me I would start right a way. What I would like to do is redshirt my first year and be there for five so I can walk out of there with an MBA degree."

Duggins, who has academically qualified to play college basketball, will leave Freedom as its best boys basketball player in the school's four-year history.

He averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds as a junior and led the Patriots to their first district championship. Freedom finished 12-12, but was defeated by Lake Wales, 59-37, during the region quarterfinals.

Freedom struggled this season and was unable to equal the previous year's success, but Duggins still averaged 18 points after being moved from guard/forward to shooting guard.

"The word that best describes him is potential. There is no telling how good he is going to be a couple of years from now because he's still growing," Freedom boys basketball coach Randy Grenon said. "There might be a time a few years down the line we're going to see him on television and we're going to wonder if this kid actually played in a Hillsborough County school because he is so good."

Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

Jacksonville is I-A.
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

BMarkey said

Jacksonville is I-A.

Yup, and with the amount of guards on our roster, I doubt he was the player Doherty was going after with our last scholarship.
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

Opps. Sorry guys. I was a little sleepy with that post… :-[
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

Jacksonville is D1-AA. The A,AA,AAA only signify a difference in competition of football at D1 schools.
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

My bad Markey JU is D1A. The A's do only relate to football is what I was trying to say.
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

You are correct sir. Actually it lays out like this in terms of hierarchy:

D1-A, D1-AA, DII, DIII, NAIA and then JUCO.

Did I miss one?
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

I think you got them all OG. My only point is that the A's don't matter unless you are talking football. It bothers me when individuals, outside this board, want to give FAU credit for making NCAA's in sports other than football now because they are at the D1-A Level. FAU's other sports have competed at the highest level since the early or mid 80's- and some of them quite successfully. It is only our football team that is transitioning a different division.

It would not be an embarrassment to lose a recruit to say a D1-AA Western Kentucky as they have a rich background in D1 basketball(there football team is the only one competing at a different level)

Sorry, it's just a soap box item for me outside this forum so I needed to vent. Thanks for listening (reading)
Back to the top

B-Ball signing day

Venting? Anytime my friend.

That's what we're here for.. :)
Back to the top
Control functions: