Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OPENING WEEKEND SERIES THREAD: Cincinnati @ FAU - Feb. 15th-17th, 2019

Add topic

FAU Baseball Returns to the Diamond, Opening Day vs. Cincinnati Bearcats

What: Cincinnati (0-0) at Florida Atlantic (0-0)

When: Friday, Feb 15th at 6:30 PM
           Saturday, Feb 16th at 4:00 PM
           Sunday, Feb 16th at 11:30 AM

Where: FAU Baseball Stadium

Series: The Owls own a 11-1 advantage over the Bearcats, dating back to 2005. The lone win for Cincy came in 2010.

Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Stats: Here

Cincinnati Team Site: Here

Projected Starting Pitchers:

Friday

FAU - Blake Sanderson, RS Senior RHP (1-2, 4.91, 2018)
UC - A.J. Kullman, Senior RHP (1-3, 4.71, 2018)

Saturday

FAU - Ryan Sandberg, RS Sophomore RHP (5-0, 1.37, 2018 JUCO)
UC - Nathan Kroger, junior RHP (1-4, 5.17, 2018)

Sunday

FAU - Mike Ruff, Junior RHP (1-2, 2.91, 2018)
UC - Garrett Schoenle, Sophomore LHP (1-0, 3.00, 2018)

Owls at a Glance

FAU Baseball enters its 39th season on Friday night. Yet again, postseason play is the goal for John McCormack's ballclub after finishing 2018 with a 43-18-1 overall mark and a 19-8-1 C-USA record.

The projected infield is set at the corners with redshirt Senior Gunnar Lambert (.262, 46 R, 43 RBI) at first base and senior Joe Montes (.293, 31 R, 40 RBI) at third.

Second base is a little more of a tossup with veteran Richie Nizza (.242, 27 R, 14 RBI) and freshman B.J. Murray in competition for the spot.

At shortstop, there is obviously a big question mark as to who is going to replace Tyler Frank after being drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays. Looking to fill the spot are two JUCO transfers, Wilfredo Alvarez (Pensacola State College) and Francisco Urbaez (Chipola College).

Fifth year senior Blake Sanderson takes the mound on Friday night as the Owls' Opening Day SP. Coach John McCormack spoke on Sanderson saying, "With Sandy you're getting someone that has assumed the role of a Friday night frontline guy." McCormack also noted that "His stuff is really good, but his everything else is great. His ability to get his teammates to work harder, his care level, his attention to detail, all of that."

Saturday night, redshirt Sophomore Ryan Sandberg is expected to get the nod. Sandberg is a JUCO transfer from Queensborough CC, who threw an impressive 1.37 ERA last season.

Junior Mike Ruff is looking to prove he has what it takes to be a starter on the final day of the series, as he spent the majority of the 2018 season as a relief pitcher.

FAU is projected to finish #3 in the 2019 C-USA preseason poll behind LA Tech and Southern Miss.

Bearcats at a Glance

The University of Cincinnati is coming off a 28-28 season, including a 12-12 record in the American Athletic Conference.

The Bearcats finished sixth in the AAC 2018, but are projected to finish eighth in the 2019 AAC Preseason Poll.

Cincinnati will use this trip to Boca Raton to gel, as the Bearcats have added 16 new players to their roster.

Returning starters include a pair of infielders: Eric Santiago (.253, 47 R, 52 RBI) and Cole Murphy (.178, 27 R, 44 RBI).

UC will also take some time to find a proper pitching rotation. The Bearcats Sunday SP, Garrett Schoenle only saw 9 innings of action last season.
Back to the top

I'm thrilled with the success we are having on the hard woods. But, I will be at the diamond watching my favorite FAU team. Can't wait to see how these guys have developed as a team. Welcome Lexi.
Back to the top

Replacing Tyler Frank, who was drafted in the second round of the MLB Draft to the Tampa Bay Rays while in the middle of the winner-take-all game vs. UF in last year's Gainesville Regional, will be no easy task.

As Lexi mentioned, Coach Mac has turned to two JUCO transfers to battle for Frank's SS position. Pensacola State College product Wilfredo Alvarez has beaten out Francisco Urbaez from Chipola College to earn the Opening Day start.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I'm thrilled with the success we are having on the hard woods. But, I will be at the diamond watching my favorite FAU team. Can't wait to see how these guys have developed as a team. Welcome Lexi.
Posted On: Feb 15th 2019, 2:38 PM #385194
BBall is at 2, you can do both.  I’m not a baseball guy but I might try that myself at least for a few innings.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

We're underway from FAU Baseball Stadium.

Anybody else think it's time for a new stadium name?  :Laughing:

Back to the top

Whew. Sandy was getting tossed around for a bit. But he has settled down since loading the bases in the second.

Back to the top

LOL Kullman got absolutely exposed! His day is done, as Drake Batcho enters the fray.

Back to the top

Coach Mac turns to the bullpen to call on Dylan Carter. What a start for Sandy, who rights the ship after some early struggles.

Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

We're underway from FAU Baseball Stadium.

Anybody else think it's time for a new stadium name?  :Laughing:

Posted On: Feb 15th 2019, 6:49 PM #385198

Coach Mac Field at Tyler Frank Park (after he signs his first big time deal of course, which should be in a short 8 years (minors time + team control)).

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

OWLS WIN!

There were lot of questions going into the season about the pitching staff. But it looks like we found our ace and go-to relief pitchers.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top
Control functions: