Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

REGIONAL THREAD: Gainesville, FL June 1st - 4th, 2018

Add topic

I know the song is same, but it comes down to facilities. Florida has some of the top facilities in the country, and just announced a huge upgrade not only to their baseball, but also their softball and football facilities. This attracts those recruits to come and play. Florida Announces Facilities Timeline for Softball, Baseball, Football Upgrades - Florida Gators

Stetson was able to host a regional because they actually have a decent stadium to host a regional, with possiblity of upgrades in the years to come.

As for us, our baseball team has no locker rooms for either team, no bathrooms for either team, no covered batting cages, no hard set concession stand, its hammered in by the swimming complex. The new athletic center will help with the training, but all the department has done since new AD came on is announce a study, which in his case is not AD White's fault. Coach McCormack has done a pretty good job with what he has on hand, but lets be serious, he needs the new facilities to not only host regionals, but get those players that may help us get past the regionals and into the super regionals. That is it.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

OC, don't get angry. We are 43-19-1.  We forced an elimination game against Florida and lost 5-2. The problem is year after year we are in a regional with the #1 team in the country. It's not the coach or the team. It's our location.   The expectations of FAU baseball are proof we are still the best program on campus. It's ok to split a series with last year's national champ and current #1 team. FAU needs to relocate to the North East. ( or build a facility that can host our own regional , like Stetson did)
Posted On: Jun 5th 2018, 5:38 AM #378744

You guys know more than me, but it really, we should have won last night. We stranded more runners than I could count, almost all of them in scoring position, and often in SP with less than two outs. That's not really acceptable to have as many called strike 3's as we had last night, with RISP. I know UF is the number one team in the country, and the defending national champion. But we were up 2-0, and stopped swinging the bat. I believe that's why we lost.
Back to the top

Ah well.  Now we just sit back and see what's left over after the mlb draft pillages our best remaining junior class players.  
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

Ah well.  Now we just sit back and see what's left over after the mlb draft pillages our best remaining junior class players.  
Posted On: Jun 5th 2018, 9:48 AM #378758

AND HS recruits! But that is the nature of the business, ya have to keep on recruiting and restocking every year!
Back to the top

Funny. I'm the baseball fan and I'm less upset than most. Until we can look like a baseball program, we will never get a regional. Which means we will play in Gainesville, Miami, Tallahassee, or now Deland. We talked about using the Stadium of the Palm Beaches, but that still is not FAU. The Gators will beat most teams in a "best of "" series. We were lacking at least one very important arm for half the season. We did well.
Back to the top

We wouldn't have got a regional this year if we had a brand new state of the art stadium.  Our regular season wasn't good enough.   We could have won last night with a timely hit or two but we didn't get them.  Ultimately we got beat by a team with better pitching.  If Marman doesn't go down this year things might have been different.  In any event, the last two weekends were awesome and I couldn't be prouder of John and the guys.  
Back to the top

@dore95, absolutely correct. FAU has the type of program that needs to really get luck from time to time. We need for a couple of recruits to decide NOT to go pro out of high school. We need for a couple to be passed over by the big boys and be happy that FAU was available. And we need a couple of "no names" to peak late and become real solid college players. But mostly, we need health. Marman was pitching great before he went down. We are not deep enough to have great players go down. I've said it before, this was one of John's best years of coaching. He worked the line up every game . And he did it masterfully. We have one of the best. This was a good year. FAU should be proud of their teams effort again this season. Still a huge fan. Now lets focus on Football and filling that stadium.
Back to the top

dore95 said

We wouldn't have got a regional this year if we had a brand new state of the art stadium.  Our regular season wasn't good enough.   We could have won last night with a timely hit or two but we didn't get them.  Ultimately we got beat by a team with better pitching.  If Marman doesn't go down this year things might have been different.  In any event, the last two weekends were awesome and I couldn't be prouder of John and the guys.  
Posted On: Jun 5th 2018, 5:47 PM #378763

And the pitching vs. UF was good enough to sweep, out bats went cold after the 1st inning of game 2 getting shutout last 8 innings! Our guys did us and themselves proud though! Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

Pitching was better than expected and good enough to win but sometimes (especially in a championship game) you need shutdown stuff and our guys don’t have it - at least not like several guys on UF.
Back to the top

Correct. UF gets some of the best arms in the nation year after year. On a different note, congrats to ex FAU softball pitcher , Hanson, for winning College World Series with FSU. She got what she was looking for.
Back to the top
Control functions: