Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. UAB - March 22-24, 2019

Add topic

What: UAB (10-12) vs. Florida Atlantic (14-7)

When: Fri, Mar 22nd at 7:30 PM
            Sat, Mar 23rd at 3:00 PM
            Sun, Mar 24th at 1:00 PM

Where: Regions Field in Birmingham, AL

Video: Here *FEE

Live Stats: Here

UAB Team Site: Here

Series: FAU owns the 10-7 all time advantage against UAB

Projected Starting Pitchers

Friday
FAU- Blake Sanderson R-Sr. RHP (4-0, 3.27)
UAB- Graham Ashcraft R-So. RHP (1-2, 3.52)

Saturday
FAU- Mike Ruff Jr. RHP (2-0, 7.11)
UAB- Tanner Rusk Jr. RHP (1-0, 2.55)

Sunday
FAU- Nick Swan Sr. LHP (1-0. 0.00)
UAB- Tyler Gates R-Sr. RHP (1-0, 4.08)

FAU at a glance

After Tuesday game in Fort Myers was postponed due to inclement weather, the Owls are headed to Birmingham this weekend for a 3-game series against UAB for some more conference play. This will be their first time leaving the state so far this season as they look to extend their 8-game winning streak this weekend.

FAU has been lighting up the conference offensively. Francisco Urbaez, who was just named C-USA’s hitter of the week, leads the conference in batting average (.435) and slugging pct. (.783).

Eric Rivera is also another offensive star for the Owls, who is 2nd for runs scored and 1st in hits in the conference, and is batting .382.

Blake Sanderson, FAU’s Friday night guy, will take the mound for the 6th time this season after his 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 5 BB, and 5 K game last weekend.

Mike Ruff once again replaces Ryan Sandberg this weekend as Saturday’s SP. Ruff had a bit of a shaky game last weekend, with a 4 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 3 BB, and 5 K day.

Nick Swan will make his return to the mound as Sunday’s SP again this weekend. Swan also started last Sunday’s game as he is finally recovered from a shoulder injury that kept him out for the beginning of the season.

The Owls were projected to place 4th overall in the preseason poll, 4 spots ahead of UAB.

UAB at a glance

UAB was swept by WKU in Bowling Green this past weekend after some very close games (5-4, 6-5, and 5-3).

The Blazers also lost their two mid-week games in Birmingham which puts them on a 5-game losing streak, and have also lost 9 of their last 10.

While UAB has seen a tough couple of weeks, they are still putting some great offensive into play. R-Jr. Zack Davis is currently hitting .392, and is ranked 4th in the league.

Jr. Colton Schultz is tied for 1st in the league in RBI with 28, and is batting .349 with 4 HR this season, and trails FAU’s Eric Rivera in runs scored by 2.

UAB will play Samford next Tuesday, and will then travel to Louisiana next weekend for some more in conference play against LA Tech.
Back to the top

The game is underway in Birmingham! Sandy gave up two in the 2nd but ultimately held the Blazers as they head into the bottom of the 4th

Back to the top

Don't call it a comeback! The Owls are on the board thanks to a solo shot from freshman Mitchell Hartigan and a killer 6th inning to give FAU the lead!

Back to the top

Back to the top

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

FAU uses a late rally to beat UAB 9-6, allowing the Owls' win streak to stretch to nine games.

Blake Sanderson earned his fifth win in as many outings, striking out four and walking just one in 5.1 IP. The Owls' ace did get in some trouble early, giving up four hits and two runs in the second inning before forcing a groundout with Blazers on the corners, ending the threat. The hosts added one more via a throwing error in the fourth.

The bats were silent for FAU early, as the Owls failed to register a hit until the fourth inning. The Owls didn't score until Mitchell Hartigan made it a two-run deficit with his first collegiate homer in the fifth.

"Offensively, it took a little while, but we came on. Mitchell Hartigan really gave us a spark," said Head Coach John McCormack. "We kept battling, were able to get some runs across, and we pitched enough."

In the top of the sixth, a bases-loaded walk cut it to one, and Eric Rivera lofted a ball to left that went in and out of the fielder's glove to score three and give FAU their first lead.

Later in the inning Vince Coletti relieved Sanderson and stranded two inherited runners in scoring position.

The teams traded runs the rest of the game, with Jared DeSantolo crushing a two-run homer in the FAU seventh, and Rivera and Francisco Urbaez notching RBI singles in the eighth.

In the bottom of the eighth, Dylan O'Connell came on for Coletti, and with the bases loaded and two outs, induced a big inning-ending popout.

Closer Zach Schneider pitched the ninth in a non-save situation. A Blazer run scored on a fielder's choice groundout, but shortstop Jacob Josey put a bow on it with a nice play on a ball up the middle for the 27th and final out.

The win improved the Owls to a 15-7 mark, including 4-0 against Conference USA opponents.

"It's a really good win on the road, first conference road victory on a Friday night dogfight", noted McCormack. "Credit to UAB, they kept fighting and I'm just glad we came out on top."

Game two against the Blazers begins at 3 p.m. Eastern on Saturday. Mike Ruff will take the ball for the Owls against UAB's Tanner Rusk.

- FAU Baseball SID Jonathan Fraysure

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

The boys are getting ready for the middle game of the three-game set against UAB.

Back to the top

One third into the game and Ruff is having himself a day!

Back to the top

Not a lot of big hits in this game, but it's exciting nonetheless as the Owls carry their lead into the 6th inning. Ruff is still going strong as he finishes out the 6th, holding the Blazers to just 1 run.

Back to the top

Andru Summerall and Pedro Pages have been integral to the scoring this game! The Owls extend their lead as they look to secure the game 2 win as they head into the bottom of the 9th. Dylan Carter will close out today's game, let's hope he can hold 'em!

Back to the top
Control functions: