Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. UTSA May 10th-12th, 2019

Add topic

Jacob Josey pitched seven innings of one-run ball, and four early runs were enough to push No. 24 Florida Atlantic University baseball past UTSA on Sunday, 6-2, to take the Conference USA road set against the Roadrunners.

“Really good to win the series", said Head Coach John McCormack.

The Owls (34-17, 19-8 C-USA) got on the board early and often, and Josey made it hold up. Andru Summerall hit a solo shot in the first through a wind coming in from right, and capped a three-run second with an RBI single for a 4-0 lead.

"Andru (Summerall) came up big with three RBI, had the home run in the first to set the tone", McCormack said. "But you can’t say enough about Jacob, (UTSA) was coming off a win on Senior Day and had momentum. Senior Day, graduation day, everybody’s there to support them, and he did a great job throwing strikes and letting the defense do their thing."

After UTSA (24-27, 11-15 C-USA) plated one in the sixth, immediately FAU answered with runs the next frame and the one after. Zach Schneider came on in a save situation in the ninth, and though one run scored on a single, he got the next two Roadrunners to strike out and fly out to cap the series victory.

Josey (1-0) took his first collegiate decision in his longest college start. He retired the first eight hitters he faced before a two-out walk in the third, and didn’t allow a hit until the fourth

Coupled with Rice’s Sunday win over Southern Miss, FAU and the Golden Eagles each have a 19-8 C-USA mark to tie for first, and FAU holds the tiebreaker with last weekend’s series win in Hattiesburg.

With a seven game road swing now complete, the Owls will return to Boca Raton to conclude the 2019 regular season.

First up will be a visit from UCF on Tuesday at 6:30 PM, with MTSU kicking off the final C-USA series beginning Thursday at 6:30 PM as well.

- FAU Baseball SID Jonathan Fraysure

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2019 FAU Baseball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Jacob didn't get enough at a boys for his sunday performance. Great job in a very important game. As a baseball fan, I recognize how important that performance was. Sweep the weekend and we win the conference.
Back to the top

On the surface, it would appear MTSU (18-33) is an "easier" opponent for FAU than USM facing UAB (although the Blazers are also a sub-.500 team at 25-27).  MTSU does have one more conference win though, and since both FAU and USM host the final CUSA series I would agree the Owls need to go ahead and sweep the series just to make sure.  At the same time, I am also going to pull hard for UAB just in case the guys need any help!!!
Back to the top

Don't rely on anyone. Sweep and we earn the title.  Never ever take a mtsu  baseball team lightly.  I want to see 25 runs this weekend. . Put a cherry on top.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Now we need to handle our business.
Posted On: May 12th 2019, 6:03 PM #386284

Be careful, I was told it can make you go blind.
Back to the top

I thought it was my age. But now that I think about it.......
Back to the top

Just saw weather report. Afternoon weather alert day. Am I wrong  to hope for a rain out. I want every arm available for the weekend. I know those that tuesday can throw again sat or sun, but with rain they will be fresh.
Back to the top
Control functions: