Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 Commit List

Add topic

Re: 2010 Commit List

2010 Commit List

Two words to offer: Javier Arenas.

Granted he was 192lbs out of high school, but look at who wanted him - Us, FIU, and A&M…what did he have then "two stars"??

Enter Mike Shula and Alabama, WHAM, 4 stars overnight!

:D

Back to the top

Baller07 said

fauowls44 said

Baller07 said

fauowls44 said

Baller07 said

A back-up running back as a Sr. in high-school, only to get the starting nod due to injury to their "star back".  Less than 400 yds on 84 carries. Less than 5yds/carry in high school.  A solid 5'11 165lbs.  I was this exact size when I graduated hs, so if he hits the cafeteria like I did my frosh year, he will be 185 in no time!

Oh boy, I hope they get better than this.

Nice job judging a kid that you only heard of 5 minutes ago and have never seen play.  I hope your posts get better then this!   :D

I'm joking, but this is the part of recruiting season I hate.  Our coaches have studied this kid and obviously like him enough to offer him a scholarship in a year where we only have 15 or so to give out.  This same staff has done a pretty good job of finding good running backs over the years.  Yet people on a message board who have never seen this kid play one snap and only know his hieght and weight are suddenly experts on his abilities.

Facts speak for themselves.  84 carries as a senior doesn't equate to much experience.  Maybe this kid has a high ceiling and is more developmental.  I don't know.  Maybe he runs a 4.3 but has little football skill thus we have subscribed to the FIU recruiting method.  I don't know.  But what I do know is this team needs competitors on their team.  Kids who do whatever it takes to get on the field and hate losing.  A career back-up to me doesn't fit that mold.

I disagree with you.  I don't think this staff has done a great job finding running backs over the years.  Pierre and Morris yes.  But how many backs have we signed since we moved to 1-A?  Percentage wise, this staff has struggled to find the gems at a loaded position in the state.  Way too many 2nd and 3rd tier backs are leaving the state for schools that are not in BCS conferences.  If we are going to take the next step, we need to keep those kids home.

Morris is a star, no doubt.  Kudos to our staff for finding him and convincing him to head south to play ball.  We are lucky to have him for 2 more years.  I hope that Tony Moore steps in when Morris graduates and takes it to the next level.  I will cheer for him with the rest of you.  I am not knocking him, and appologize if it comes off that way.  I just don't buy the methodology in recruiting an undersized back-up running back.

Pierre and Morris is pretty much the argument ender on this.  Pierre was a horse and Morris is a star.  You can only play so many guys at once.  I'd say a core of Pierre, Morris, Rose, and Edgecomb is pretty darn good since moving up to I-A.

Anyway…

Since moving to I-A:

2006: Willie Floyd, Corderro Drummond, Rodney Jones
2007: Blanchard, Stinson, Morris, Rolle
2008: Mike Barasch
2009: Tyrie Allen, Damien Fortner, Chris Jackson

Keeping in mind Pierre, Rose, and Edgecomb were here, 6 of the 9 RBs signed have seen playing time, and Stinson will start next year.  The track record so far has been pretty solid.

To early to tell on the 08-09 recruits, but in 06-07, Morris is the only good one.  Stinson is still unproven in my eyes.  He may not even be the starter next year if Muniz is back. Only time will tell.  Floyd and Blanchard have done nothing due to injuries.  Drummond, Jones, and Rolle….who?

I agree with everything you just said, but who hits on every recruit??  Plus, if you have a group of 4 running back recruits one year and one becomes a star, what is the problem?  That is why you sign up so many of them.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I agree with everything you just said, but who hits on every recruit??  Plus, if you have a group of 4 running back recruits one year and one becomes a star, what is the problem?  That is why you sign up so many of them.

Understand.  I'm not saying we need to hit on all the kids we recruit.  But the likelihood of hitting on a kid who was a back-up and got a few carries thanks to an injury if far less than hitting on a kid who started all season in HS.

And Rick, as for Javier Arenas, he was 1st team All-State….in Florida.  Completely different.  I don't buy into the star system for kids who aren't "blue chippers".  I think a kid who starts on his varsity football team, and is on the field for a lot of snaps during his HS career is better prepared to play D1 college football.  If you can't break the starting lineup as a senior, chances are you will ride the pine in college.  If he was a solid player stuck behind a star, his HS coach would get him on the field at another position.
Back to the top

Isn't Stinson close to collecting social security?  ??? It seems like that guy has been around forever and still nothing to follow up on all of the hype from when was originally coming out of high school and headed to Pitt.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Isn't Stinson close to collecting social security?  ??? It seems like that guy has been around forever and still nothing to follow up on all of the hype from when was originally coming out of high school and headed to Pitt.

GO OWLS!!!

I thought the same thing.

Stinson did get time last year and now that Rose is gone I think hell pick up quickly. I hope he has the same pass block instincts that Rose had.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Has just been confirmed:

QB Brandon Doughty from North Broward Prep has given a Verbal to the Owls Today.

***Confirmed by several sources, one is Mark Stampini from Rivals…who spoke to Brandon's
mother earlier tonight.

Post on Rival

Back to the top

Just to add…The Owls are expected about 15 recruits this weekend.

Back to the top

Nice land on Doughty…

Beat out Colorado State, FIU, Miss State, and WKU…
Back to the top

Brandon Doughty

"he has real upside as a pocket passer with ideal size, good overall arm strength and a very nice poise and pocket presence. He plays in a hybrid spread offense that features a variety of throws; all of which he has shown he can make consistently."

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Doughty appears to be a great addition!
Back to the top
Control functions: