Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2015 FAU Football Commit List Discussion Thread

Add topic

I don't want to keep waiting for the future either OC. One thing Pelini did well was getting JUCO guys to come in and contribute immediately. I wish Partridge would do more of that especially since we need help on the D-Line and LBs NOW. However, I am optimistic that coach Partridge will have a great tenure at FAU and get us into the post season. The last time FAU was in a bowl I was a high school senior so it's much overdue. 
Back to the top

We better have 7 wins next year 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

One thing Pelini did well was getting JUCO guys to come in and contribute immediately. I wish Partridge would do more of that especially since we need help on the D-Line and LBs NOW.
Posted On: Nov 6th 2014, 9:25 PM #337553

Unfortunately, 13 kids from one single recruiting class are no longer with the program.  That's over half of one recruiting class…wasted.

This was told to us in the recruiting meeting last week at the OSF event.  I asked if there was a correlation to JUCOs and the answer was…yes.

We now have had to waste red shirt seasons for several players out of necessity.
Back to the top

This

fauowl said

LawOwl said

One thing Pelini did well was getting JUCO guys to come in and contribute immediately. I wish Partridge would do more of that especially since we need help on the D-Line and LBs NOW.
Posted On: Nov 6th 2014, 9:25 PM #337553

Unfortunately, 13 kids from one single recruiting class are no longer with the program.  That's over half of one recruiting class…wasted.

This was told to us in the recruiting meeting last week at the OSF event.  I asked if there was a correlation to JUCOs and the answer was…yes.

We now have had to waste red shirt seasons for several players out of necessity.
Posted On: Nov 7th 2014, 1:55 AM #337562

this is so true. Look at how many Freshman we have contributing right now. Makes me wonder how is this going to impact the viability of the team long term. These guys look good now but could you imagine if they had an extra year to develop physically, mentally, emotionally?
Bain, Gold, Bussey, Solomon, Howell, Hendrickson, Ellis, Terry, R. Williams. I'm sure I'm missing some guys. 
Back to the top

As long as we have the right guys in the right positions, I see the freshman contributions as a good thing, as they will only get better with experience and playing time.  I think we have a good squad, and we have some decent leadership, we just can't always put it all together.  When we do, we look like a serious team.  It will be nice to see guys play for more than a year or two before disappearing, and I think a team needs some cohesiveness to succeed.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

plus coach p said we are 11 players short of the 85 scholarships we are allotted by the NCAA..... Look for in the coming days and weeks to see Coach P fill the area we need depth... Especially DL and LB....
Back to the top

Then I wish he would bring in a half dozen SOLID JUCO's to fill immediate holes and build depth and allow the freshman time to develop too. I am in NO WAY against freshman playing IF they are contributing. Look at the BigBoys and freshman there come in and play all the time. But then those are 4 and 5* types. A much higher percentage of out few JUCOS Pelini brought in have worked out vs. our HS recruits! And that is actually how it should be. A year or two older and bigger and playing vs. better competition than HS ball.

And I DO hope if we are short that many scholly players than we bring in 30-35 total to fill up the roster and begin to grow and teach. We cannot afford this - We looked at out team vs. UAB and wondered why so many on the sidelines in shorts and only 60 or so suited up for the game.

We played short-handed in a big way yet almost pulled it out. 20 more dressed and ready to play and maybe we were not too gassed on D there late (sorry excuse to me though - we played soft and let them run, we did not challange them and force them to change and throw (our D strength!).
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Then I wish he would bring in a half dozen SOLID JUCO's to fill immediate holes and build depth and allow the freshman time to develop too. I am in NO WAY against freshman playing IF they are contributing. Look at the BigBoys and freshman there come in and play all the time. But then those are 4 and 5* types. A much higher percentage of out few JUCOS Pelini brought in have worked out vs. our HS recruits! And that is actually how it should be. A year or two older and bigger and playing vs. better competition than HS ball.

And I DO hope if we are short that many scholly players than we bring in 30-35 total to fill up the roster and begin to grow and teach. We cannot afford this - We looked at out team vs. UAB and wondered why so many on the sidelines in shorts and only 60 or so suited up for the game.

We played short-handed in a big way yet almost pulled it out. 20 more dressed and ready to play and maybe we were not too gassed on D there late (sorry excuse to me though - we played soft and let them run, we did not challange them and force them to change and throw (our D strength!).
Posted On: Nov 7th 2014, 2:05 PM #337571

I think you missed the point. Jucos don't work out for various reasons: grades, commitment issues, & other reasons. You also only have them for 2 years (3 at the most). As opposed to a high school recruit who buys I. To the program & stays for 4 or 5 years.

Now, our issue isn't only the fact that many jucos did not pan out (German, grimes, Mitchell), but also that with a coaching change there are always some players who don't buy into the new coach for whatever reason, whether they just don't like the new coach, don't see themselves playing much, or don't want to deal with the change. Whatever the reason this happens with every coaching change.

Also the players on the sideline are either red shirting or injured. And something tells me that if they are red shirting then they are just not ready for the college game yet. There is nothing hurts wrong with that & every program redshirts players. But you can't just throw a kid into the fire, it will hinder his growth & won't help the team.

That is another reason why we are short so many scholarship players.

I do have one question though:

You can only sign up to 25 players on NSD. However,  we have the ability to add up to 35 scholarship players next season (correct me if I am wrong). So my question is where do these 10 or so extra players come from? Can we just add them without signing them? That would give them the ability to go synth were else until summer/fall camp starts. While we have so many scholarships going unused, how do we actually give them out?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I am in NO WAY against freshman playing IF they are contributing.

Exactly. If the coaches think these guys are ready to contribute now then I don't see the point in holding on to them and saying, "oh man, what might have been if they had an extra year."  Whoever can win games for us needs to be in there. If Howell is fumbling every game then yeah, he's probably not ready, but he's been solid so he plays.

If we don't win, we don't win. That happens. It's a team effort and unfortunately this team's development always seems to be in different places; the secondary will be good but the linebackers will be young, or the runningbacks will be young but the receivers solid, and it never all seems to line up so everybody is in the same point of excellence at the same time so our team feels uneven.

Back to the top

Brandon Kirby-Wolverlora Simon said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Nov 7th 2014, 2:05 PM #337571

I think you missed the point. Jucos don't work out for various reasons: grades, commitment issues, & other reasons. You also only have them for 2 years (3 at the most). As opposed to a high school recruit who buys I. To the program & stays for 4 or 5 years.

Now, our issue isn't only the fact that many jucos did not pan out (German, grimes, Mitchell), but also that with a coaching change there are always some players who don't buy into the new coach for whatever reason, whether they just don't like the new coach, don't see themselves playing much, or don't want to deal with the change. Whatever the reason this happens with every coaching change.

Also the players on the sideline are either red shirting or injured. And something tells me that if they are red shirting then they are just not ready for the college game yet. There is nothing hurts wrong with that & every program redshirts players. But you can't just throw a kid into the fire, it will hinder his growth & won't help the team.

That is another reason why we are short so many scholarship players.

I do have one question though:

You can only sign up to 25 players on NSD. However,  we have the ability to add up to 35 scholarship players next season (correct me if I am wrong). So my question is where do these 10 or so extra players come from? Can we just add them without signing them? That would give them the ability to go synth were else until summer/fall camp starts. While we have so many scholarships going unused, how do we actually give them out?

Posted On: Nov 7th 2014, 2:30 PM #337572

You can't give 35 scholarships out in one class it will throw the balance of the roster off.
Expect us to sign about 25 we will probably use the others to give to a couple walk on players also we can use them for any transfer players.
Back to the top
Control functions: