Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2018 FAU Football Signing Day Thread

Add topic

One thing I want to put out there – because you know it will come up in the media and on boards: On paper, this won't technically be considered the best class in the conference. In fact, there may end up being 3 or 4 teams ahead of us in the "final rankings". However, when you look closer, that will just be the result of having probably the smallest class in the conference. The "quality" factor, which is the "composite" ranking, should easily be #1. In the final tally, you will probably see teams ahead of us solely because they have 8 or so more recruits than we did. Our composite ranking should end up getting the top spot for that category.
Back to the top

Not only did we add depth to many skill positions, we immediately took care of positions in need.

Is this class as big of a slam dunk last last year's? No. But if anything, it is a compliment to that class. The cherry on top, if you will.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Jack, I've been following you all day while  working. Thanks for your work.
Posted On: Feb 7th 2018, 4:34 PM #377041

Thank you! I must admit, this year was rather difficult to cover. There were combinations of some players who weren't active on Twitter, some who didn't post anything about their signings, high schools that were difficult to work with, and local media out of our area that was either nonexistent or not reliable.

As Rick could attest, this year was definitely weird

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

You did great !
Back to the top

We are going to have a battle between Robison and Johnson at QB, but either one will at least be considered a more dangerous passer than Driskell or Parr were (not saying they absolutely will be - just saying we will think they will be).  And this means we are going to have an awesome backup QB.  We also have a load of WRs with Wright and McNeal returning and adding Nelson, Durante, and Davis.  Just that list of guys at QB and WR include a bunch of high-level recruits who originally were P5 players (or were supposed to go to big-time schools).

Then throw in Motor, Emmons, Whyte, and Davidson in the backfield.  We are going to need more footballs!!!

Plugged the hole at Center along with some other O-lineman, and added several more (expected) impact players on Defense.

I actually hope this means we can take a handful of the new Freshman and redshirt them.  I'd love to have Littlejohn and Davidson around to pickup after these other guys finish for a couple of seasons.

I think the wrap-up is we got better AND deeper with this class - hard to ask for more than that!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

We are going to have a battle between Robison and Johnson at QB, but either one will at least be considered a more dangerous passer than Driskell or Parr were (not saying they absolutely will be - just saying we will think they will be).  And this means we are going to have an awesome backup QB.  We also have a load of WRs with Wright and McNeal returning and adding Nelson, Durante, and Davis.  Just that list of guys at QB and WR include a bunch of high-level recruits who originally were P5 players (or were supposed to go to big-time schools).

Then throw in Motor, Emmons, Whyte, and Davidson in the backfield.  We are going to need more footballs!!!

Plugged the hole at Center along with some other O-lineman, and added several more (expected) impact players on Defense.

I actually hope this means we can take a handful of the new Freshman and redshirt them.  I'd love to have Littlejohn and Davidson around to pickup after these other guys finish for a couple of seasons.

I think the wrap-up is we got better AND deeper with this class - hard to ask for more than that!
Posted On: Feb 8th 2018, 10:57 AM #377056

Last night on ESPN radio Lane said the first classes were focused on plugging holes we needed in order to compete immediately, and his focus going forward is to start stockpiling talent. I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist.
Back to the top

As the dust and BS settle over the recruiting ranking sites, I am comfortable in this assertion: I have much greater faith in the talent judgment of Kiffin & Co. than I do in the talent judgment of those who operate the sites. It looks like a VG recruiting effort.
Back to the top

grayowl said

As the dust and BS settle over the recruiting ranking sites, I am comfortable in this assertion: I have much greater faith in the talent judgment of Kiffin & Co. than I do in the talent judgment of those who operate the sites. It looks like a VG recruiting effort.
Posted On: Feb 8th 2018, 11:21 AM #377058

Agreed! Even the lesser known O HS lineman at east have plenty size (310-320!), the days of FAU recruiting the 250-260 lb. OL are done. I think in a year those young guys will become 300-310 lb. IN SHAPE AND POWERFUL young men under Coach Love! They will become important parts of our OL for 3 and even 4 years!

The next step is to start signing some BIG 300+ lb. DT's like FIU did this year.

Great job Coaches and welcome to all the new Owls - get your grades and work hard!
Back to the top

Here is a great video of Coach K talking about the recruiting and the last year at FAU;

Lane Kiffin discusses last season's success and this year's recruits - CBSSports.com

VERY NICE!!!!!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Posted On: Feb 8th 2018, 10:57 AM #377056

Agreed that the QB position should be solidified, but it's hard to say how DJ will fare having that injury (which in some cases had ended careers I believe) and not playing an entire year. Hoping he is fully recovered  and 100%. Also, can Davis play this year? I thought he had to sit this year out? Maybe I'm wrong.
Back to the top
Control functions: