Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Class of 2019 Recruiting Discussion

Add topic

@Walty ,100 % agree. I know OC40 has accused me of being old school thinking. Tonight I was honored to bring to the game my 86 year old dad.He was a coach for 32 years. 18 as a head coach at the college level.He doesn't criticize other coaches. After the game , he said, " this team just needs better coaching and more discipline". Now that is simple old school thinking. Watching this team on the sidelines is comical. How can a person laugh and clown around when someone is kicking your butt. But maybe that's just my age talking. We'll see just how good Lane is in the next couple of weeks.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

How can a person laugh and clown around when someone is kicking your butt. But maybe that's just my age talking. We'll see just how good Lane is in the next couple of weeks.

It's not age talking, it's the truth. I certainly don't have the age or wisdom of you or your dad, but I've watched enough sports in my life to know when a team is undisciplined, unfocused, and needs to be coached up. This team is the textbook example of such a team right now.

Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Walty ,100 % agree. I know OC40 has accused me of being old school thinking. Tonight I was honored to bring to the game my 86 year old dad.He was a coach for 32 years. 18 as a head coach at the college level.He doesn't criticize other coaches. After the game , he said, " this team just needs better coaching and more discipline". Now that is simple old school thinking. Watching this team on the sidelines is comical. How can a person laugh and clown around when someone is kicking your butt. But maybe that's just my age talking. We'll see just how good Lane is in the next couple of weeks.
Posted On: Oct 26th 2018, 11:05 PM #382578

Might be the Jack Daniels talking but Lane is a con man. Got a 10 yr deal for nothing and this is what we have to put up with! Ridiculous!!! I feel like it’s the Partridge era all over again. We should be past playing like this by now!!! O-Line is terrible. Zero competence by any QB. Peavy is a scrub and he was whining about “not getting enough playing time” a few weeks ago. What a joke. The guy is 5th string QB at best. Motor, the defense and Kerrith did their job but here comes Charlie Jr. again with the inept play calling.
First and goal and throw the ball three times?????? Are you nuts?? No sorry you’re  just a scrub OC living off Daddy’s legacy. We miss Briles, Driskel, Solomon, Fernandez and Woods. We lost a lot this past year and we didn’t even realize it. Lane do your job bro. Hold these guys accountable!!!
Back to the top

I think Briles and Justice were huge losses. I'm not worried about Robison getting better. But I am worried that the O Line and O coordinating won't get any better. I've regressed as a fan as much as our O has regressed. We need to be concerned.
Back to the top

I agree that losing Solomon hurt. Him and Woods would get tough balls and were tough physical receivers. Why are we throwing 20 yard passes to Willie Wright. He doesn't have the size to play that role. We don't have the receivers to compensate for the bad O Line
Back to the top

Is it too early to revive #FireCharlie ???
Back to the top

I agree recruiting was pretty bad last year. I think the rumor Mill and hype around Kiffin getting a bigger HC job all season probably spooked a lot of recruits. Imagine committing to a college when you know that head coach at best might be around for one more.

Plus if Kiffin swept the conference again, we most definitely would have lost him to a p5 team. This year's record guaranteed another season or two with Kiffin at the helm. I think recruits this year will be way more excited to join him as he's likely to stick around.
Back to the top

I was just looking at 247 today and looks like we picked up a new recruit commitment.

Jeremiah Ashe a Wide Receiver 6'2 200 pounds. Had offers from Cinn, FIU and others.
Back to the top

My point was this was not a very good coaching year top to bottom (reading on here tells you Kiffin was the play caller), and the recruiting focus seemed to be on “win now” these first 2 classes.  Numerous posts saying the good thing is the disapointing season means Kiffin will be around for at least a few more years.  Based on season 1 that is great.  Based on season 2 I think we saw why people weren’t trying to scoop him up last off-season, and we will need to see which of these first 2 seasons is more accurate to know what having Kiffin for several years really means.

I believe Lane now will have to buckle down and deliver sustained success over multiple seasons to get any attention from a P5 school.  We could either benefit from him settling in to build/run a program or suffer if he doesn’t get a focus on establishing a program and just tries homerun tactics.

Early signing day is in less than a month - so this class and any additional coaching moves will tell us a lot about what he is trying to do.
Back to the top

Im not worried about Lane getting poached, simply because if another team wants him its because he has had success here and has raised the profile of our university. Thus far I'd imagine other ADs are as unimpressed as we are. I feel like Kiffin doesn't have a great deal of energy and enthusiasm. Perhaps thats just his personality or maybe he just doesn't feel like this team is worth it and he wants to get a "better" job, but I would really like to see more. If anything make some good hires; get coaches that are hungry and will put in the time to recruit like they need the job. I don't care if they are young because all good coaches have to start somewhere, but they need to be able to motivate the players and put them in a position to flourish and improve.

Recruiting has been lackluster and I think that a lot of people bought the Kiffin hype early and were mislead by the high recruiting rankings that were shared by media sources. When in reality most of those highly ranked players either never made it to Boca or they weren't good enough to get onto the field. All of us who have watched the team know that most of the guys playing the last 2 seasons are guys that were here before Kiffin. I don't want to get into the classic recruiting stars argument, but maybe Kiffin & Co. are putting too much emphasis on where these guys are ranked or where they signed out of high school.

And sorry I just realized this isn't a recruiting thread.
Back to the top
Control functions: