Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Add topic

Re: Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

BocaCoop said

Dont forget that FAU is a Sunbelt team too! If I were a 3 star or 4 star recruit, I sure as heck wouldnt be going to any Sunbelt school. Especially if they do not have a winning record or a stadium.

Problem with this is that Sunbelt schools ARE getting those players. WKU and FIU were terrible last year. They do have nice facilites though.

WKU had a great class as did FIU. Both of them getting 3 and 4 star players from Florida.

Its not the confrence so much as the facilities. Lockhart simply KILLS us.

Most High schoolers dont want to play in it, let alone kids who want to play at Div1 level.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I will not do any grading until December 2012. At that point it will be worth while to grade this class. So far we have nothing to go on. What am I grading them on hype or lack of hype? I don't think so. I need to see productivity. Some of these guys might shine. Look at Morris. He was overlooked by many schools that probably would love to have him now. Too many 5 star blue-chip guys do nothing in college and plenty of lesser known guys develop into real talented players. The only thing I can say is that I like that FAU addressed needs on the DL by adding some bodies. Hopefully they will prove that they have the talent.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Not concerned with the rankings, but I am concerned with the positions that we recruited this year.

We did not need to recruit any Safetys or Tight Ends this year. We did, however, needed to bring in two WRs and Two OLs.

Instead we brought in 1 TE, 1 S, 1 WR, 1 OL.

After the 2010 season is over we will have six Safety's not including the 1 we recruited this year.
After the 2010 season is over we will have four Wide Receivers not including the 1 we recruited this year.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?
Back to the top

stop stop stop making excuses for our shitty recurting we a two time bowl winning team and we are in the middle of the biggest hot bed recurting spot in the country and we pull in 12 no names. I don't want to here system crap there is no reason we cant have both.
Back to the top

Captain said

Not concerned with the rankings, but I am concerned with the positions that we recruited this year.

We did not need to recruit any Safetys or Tight Ends this year. We did, however, needed to bring in two WRs and Two OLs.

Instead we brought in 1 TE, 1 S, 1 WR, 1 OL.

After the 2010 season is over we will have six Safety's not including the 1 we recruited this year.
After the 2010 season is over we will have four Wide Receivers not including the 1 we recruited this year.

Strongly agree here. Ive heard some rumors about current WRs in grade trouble, but that might be speculation..

Coach Frost mentioned how we missed out on TE Clive Walford so i think they tried to address
that problem but lost out.
Back to the top

when you recruit players at positions you are already stocked up on, the recruits become worthless.

Let's examine our Tight End depth chart as an example:
In 2010, we have five returning TE's and one incoming TE
#81 Rob Housler—– Final season: 2010
#85 Darian Williams– Final season: 2011
#19 Alex Fick——- Final season: 2011
#84 James Oboh—- Final season: 2013
#86 Nexon Dorvilus– Final season: 2013
*** Alex DeLeon—– Final season: 2014

2010: DeLeon is redshirted, doesn't play.
2011: With two Sr. & two Jr. TE's ahead of him, DeLeon rides the bench.
2012: Two starters return, DeLeon goes third on the depth chart.
2013: Two starters return, DeLeon goes third on the depth chart again.
2014: DeLeon finally starts in his last season, that is if we don't recruit someone better over the next four years, that beats him out for the top spot.
Back to the top

Captain said

Not really. We're a "throw first" team. You usually have 2 WR on the field and then you have two more so you can switch out. So it makes sense to be okay with 4, although it's certainly not ideal because that doesn't even take into consideration what happens if one gets hurt or there's a Gent-type suspension.

I find it strange that Marcus Cunningham came out of nowhere and we seemed to be the only school that offered (hence his two stars). But I suppose that's how FAU closes these deals. If they had pursued a 3 or 4 star WR from Miami, thus everyone knew about the recruit, we probably would have lost that battle.

Then again, we did get Amos Wood - a 3 star WR - but he hasn't produced much for us yet. Hopefully that will change. Right now the upcoming stars seem to be Darian Williams (TE), Jamal Davis (WR) and Lester Jean (WR). We've been waiting for years for Jean to emerge but I feel like, since it's his senior season wherein both Gent and Bonner are done, he'll finally step up.

Captain said

when you recruit players at positions you are already stocked up on, the recruits become worthless.

Let's examine our Tight End depth chart as an example:
In 2010, we have five returning TE's and one incoming TE
#81 Rob Housler—– Final season: 2010
#85 Darian Williams– Final season: 2011
#19 Alex Fick——- Final season: 2011
#84 James Oboh—- Final season: 2013
#86 Nexon Dorvilus– Final season: 2013
*** Alex DeLeon—– Final season: 2014

Not necessarily. Housler only has one more season during which DeLeon will redshirt anyway. Come 2011, Darian Williams will be a starter. The playmakers aren't a lock at starter either… remember how Harmon had to win back his spot this season? Alex Fick has never really been a playmaker and will graduate without ever really making a name for himself, unfortunately. Darian William's father, who took in many practices and knows a thing or two since he was a WR himself, said Oboh over Dorvilus. So there's a very good chance for him to play in 2011 if he can beat out Oboh. Even without that, he should still be in games as second string.
Back to the top

Yes, it's possible for him to see some early playing time, but at 6'3" 187lbs. He has to have some unbelievable hands because at his size, lord knows he won't be much of blocker. I can see him moving into the WR position before he starts at TE.
Back to the top

walty12 said

d-owl said

This is becoming a trend though. The 2 bowl wins have not done anything to bolster recruiting. Every year we are ranked at the bottom of D1 schools - and this year we are at the very bottom. With our success, coach and location there should be no reason we consistently rank this low in recruiting.  I know the ratings are subjective but what I saw on defense last year tells me something is definetly not right.

Something wasn't right…and he was fired.

We hope that all of the ills can be attributed to the coach. But let's face it the amount of walk ons taking the place of our heralded recruits tells me something as well. Time will tell and I hope you are right. But that certainly did not look like a D1 defense.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Darian William's father, who took in many practices and knows a thing or two since he was a WR himself, said Oboh over Dorvilus. So there's a very good chance for him to play in 2011 if he can beat out Oboh. Even without that, he should still be in games as second string.

Like Mr Williams, Fun guy, But Dorvilus is a player and will likely be the number two after next season.  Kids got a big frame and some hands.  Oboh seems to lack confidance on the field.  Granted he's only a freshman but he seemed to stiff out there and I don't see that changing.  Dorvilus will definately be a bigger contributor IMO
Back to the top
Control functions: