Notebook: WR LaDante Harris commits to FAU
Itís been and up and down few weeks for FAU on the recruiting trail, but things are staring to change. FAU picked up a commitment from two-star wide receiver LaDante Harris on Friday, two days after Herbert Miller decommitted from the Owls.
While FAUís interests in Miller remain hazy (the coaches were recruiting him, but werenít on the same page) there is no doubt that the staff wanted Harris (photo left). The 5-foot-10, 170-pound slot receiver called assistant coach Dan Shula to inform him of his decision.
ďI like that itís close to home and they seem to be on the rise,Ē Harris said. ďIt was just at the right time and I was comfortable.Ē
Timing has been everything for FAU this summer. The staff picked up six verbal commitments in June, following multiple summer camp sessions. FAU hopes to continue that success this week, with the teamís final two camp sessions on Monday and Tuesday.
Harris, who held other offers from Duke, Marshall and South Alabama, said it was his camp experience that gave him a rare opportunity to see FAU up close.
Check back in the coming days for updates regarding the camp, but in the meantime here are some recruiting nuggets.
- Two-star athlete Raekwon Jones named FAU his leader on Friday. Jones was offered after the Owlsí satellite camp in Tallahassee last month. He projects as a strong safety, but has the ability to play up in the box as a hybrid-linebacker. Jones wonít make it to FAU this summer for a visit, but he is trying to plan a trip for later in the year. Heís also considering South Alabama (where he visited on Thursday) and Indiana.
- Three-star OT Tarrick Thomas spent Friday afternoon at Georgia Southern for an unofficial. Thomas committed to FAU back in June and will visit Florida next week. He also said he will be in Boca Raton before the end of July.
- FAU commit Rashard Causey camped at Florida State earlier this month. Heís told numerous recruiting outlets he plans to camp at a number of BCS programs this summer, but FSU was the only confirmed visit. He seems to be playing the recruiting game.
- Ex-FSU commit Marlon Gonzalez is a name to remember for FAU. Gonzalez took an unofficial to Boca Raton in May, and is trying to get back on campus with his mother sometime soon. Heís a high-profile prospect thatís giving the Owls a look.
- Cornerback Stephon Brown visited in June, and heís expected to make another trip to campus this summer. Heís a lanky corner with a strong list of offers.
- Three-star defensive end Jason Strowbridge is a local prospect thatís in the picture. He was invited for junior day, but didnít make it on campus. Kentucky looks to be the team to beat, but FAU is a name he has mentioned before.
- A name you can cross off the list is Tavon Cox. FAU already has a handful of linebackers committed to the class, and Cox hasnít heard from the staff in a while.
- Syracuse commit Gerald Robinsonis scheduled to camp at FAU on Monday. He will be joined by Paris Manyou and Andy O'Steen.