Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OWLS 2011 NLI (24 Signed)

Add topic

Re: OWLS 2011 NLI (24 Signed)

OWLS 2011 NLI (24 Signed)

If I'm not mistaken Gray shirting just means he won't take up a scholarship this yr but doesn't give him an extra yr or anything has 5 yrs just like our other QB's
Back to the top

Re: OWLS 2011 NLI (19)

Captain said

So for everyone who thinks stars don't mean anything, WAKE THE HECK UP!

And to those that think stars mean everything, GROW A BRAIN!
Back to the top

Captain said

GhostOfBuchanan said

I know we have one 3-star guy signed and one committed, so hopefully this is updated, but anyone slightly worried?

VERY!  Every year, I post something about how Coach and his staff do a poor job a recruiting because we get such few star-ranked players, if any. And every year, everyone says that stars don't mean anything, it's how they're coached.

Well fast forward four years, and FIU's continous classes of only 2 & 3 star recruits finally surpasses FAU, and has given us back to back losing seasons.

So for everyone who thinks stars don't mean anything, WAKE THE HECK UP! Players are given stars for a reason.

Western Kentucky has 11 3-star players signed for this year. Watch how quickly they move up in the conference, and how quickly be decline. My guess is FAU will be the new North Texas, having a few good years before sitting at the bottom for several years.

Of course you should be concerned - any Owl fan should be. However many on this board will literally lambaste you for posting the obvious as their take is you cannot criticize the program at all. So let them be happy having a recruiting class ranked DEAD LAST in the nation - again! They will try to rationalize it until the cows come home, yet the entire nation can see that the recruiting is sub par at this school. FAU recruits like a D2 school. Look at the interest other schools had in our recruits. With the exception of a handful - there was very little interest, especialy from other D1 programs. Now compare our recruits to even most of the other Belt schools.

This is not what should have happened with the new stadium finally being a reality. There was no uptick in recruiting from our bowl wins and none from the stadium being built. There is a very vocal minority of FAU fans who are just "thrilled" at the direction of this program and our recruiting classes. However most can really see that this program is declining. And with the way the recruiting classes are shaping up, I'm definetly concerned going into the new stadium.

With all that being said I am a HS fan!! I support him and the program to no end. But I can see and admit that there is a problem that has to be addressed in the coming years. 
Back to the top

Stars or no stars our recruiting is poor its been evident the last two years.  For every diamond in the rough we have 5 duds who contribute nothing.  I do think this is a solid recruiting class but many of these guys were not our first choice were still getting beat out by the Iowa's, FIU's, WKU's, Troy's, UCF's, Memphis' of the world on a lot of recruits I think that is the biggest problem.  This is a critical year in our program if we show signs of life next years class will improve if not next years class could be at the bottom…
Back to the top

fauowl said

And to those that think stars mean everything, GROW A BRAIN!

I never said stars mean everything. But to pretend that they don't mean anything is brainless.

Since Cristobal took over FIU in Dec. 2006: FIU has recruited: One 4-star player and 21 3-star players (according to rivals.com) leading up to their conference-winning season in 2010. Not only did they win the conference and a bowl game this year, but they were one TD away from beating both Rutgers and Texas A&M, plus they destroyed Troy this year.

If nothing else, star-ranked recruits add depth to a roster.

Don't agree with that notion, look at Troy's roster. Since 2006, Troy has recruited four 4-star players and 34 3-star players (according to rivals), and since 2006 Troy has had a share of the conference title EVERY year.

I get that we're all Owls fans here. And believe it or not I do support Coach, the staff, the University and the team. I'm proud that I got witness in-person both Owls bowl victories. I been to several home and away games over the years. I donate to FAU every year.

But the bottom line is in five years of D-1A football, we've only had two winning seasons. And without better recruits, we will never progress.
Back to the top

not to knock to anybody who signed. But  the recruiting cordinators did a sh!t job again. you have a brand new stadium and they got the same "rated" players as they did the last two years with lockhart. piss poor job.
Back to the top

We have 4 seniors that are NFL calibur and you guys say we recruit like a D2 school?  Makes sense.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

We have 4 seniors that are NFL calibur and you guys say we recruit like a D2 school?  Makes sense.

If stars are meaningless and we recruit better than the "experts" say we do, than why have we not had a winning season since 2008, when we eaked our way into a bowl game with a 6-6 record to finish the year 7-6? Why have we only beaten one (1) BCS team in five years? Why have we never won the conference title outright? Why do we only have one kid in the NFL?

I go on this board every year to complain about recruiting. And every year the unrealistic FAU fans make me feel bad for doubting Coach and his staff's decisions. But every year I'm reminded that we can't beat USF, we can't win the conference title outright, and at best we can have a 1-3 OOC record.

I really hope this class proves me wrong, but history tells me otherwise.
Back to the top

Captain said

walty12 said

If stars are meaningless and we recruit better than the "experts" say we do, than why have we not had a winning season since 2008, when we eaked our way into a bowl game with a 6-6 record to finish the year 7-6? Why have we only beaten one (1) BCS team in five years? Why have we never won the conference title outright? Why do we only have one kid in the NFL?

I go on this board every year to complain about recruiting. And every year the unrealistic FAU fans make me feel bad for doubting Coach and his staff's decisions. But every year I'm reminded that we can't beat USF, we can't win the conference title outright, and at best we can have a 1-3 OOC record.

I really hope this class proves me wrong, but history tells me otherwise.

I think its funny that you expect us to go better than 1-3 vs. Florida, Auburn, Michigan State and UAB all on the road and you call other FAU fans "unrealistic".

Back to the top

Bottom line is you toss Alfred in there and we had 4 players on offense that are NFL caliber.  I am not even sure Miami had that.

Back to the top
Control functions: