Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OWLS 2011 NLI (24 Signed)

Add topic

Re: OWLS 2011 NLI (24 Signed)

OWLS 2011 NLI (24 Signed)

WE have to turn it around and up our wins this year to end the downspin (5 wins minimum needed). Then hire new coach for the FUTURE of the program, not the past, and those two together with the recruits actually staning IN a real stadium on-campus (not an early stage construction project) WILL bump our recruiting up next year in a big way!

Go Owl's
Back to the top

Captain said

owlfamily said

They are in AQ confrences as well.

Dont undesetimate that.

USF didn't join an AQ till 2005. So they were able to make that jump in just eight years. Again, Troy had 100 years to do that. So again a 100 year headstar means squat.

Why are you all defending our recruiting classes? Are you really that thrilled about the guys we get? Would really pass up 5-star guys for our current guys, if you were in charge? Is this the ideal recruiting class you all want?

I am not defending or advocating.  I am putting my faith in Howard.

I am against these scouting servieces and think they are garabage.  I dont know how good our recruits are anymore than you do.  I haven't watched film on them and seen them workout.  Even if I did, I dont know how to properly evaluate talent…hence why I am working in an office doing a much more boring job.

I dont think we have the program to recruit 5 star players, its not about picking our guys over them.  I am more concerned about running a clean program with character guys.  From my perspective we could have easily won 6 games last year, the players didn't execute….and we have some talented players.

Futhermore, about 5 star players…Michigan and Florida didn't get a single 5 star player this year…its not as easy as you think.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Captain said

walty12 said

I am not sure there is a team in the country that could guarantee a win on the road vs Auburn, Michigan State and Florida.

I think 90% of our recruits talk about playing for a legendary coach.  If you think Howard (the reason we have a football team, stadium, board etc.) is a bad thing for a program you and I wont agree on anything at all.

You keep avoiding my point on recruiting better caliber players by focusing on the OOC games. So let me take that element out of the equation for you, and focus completely on the Sun Belt. Since joining the Belt in 2006, Troy has produced a 32-5 conference record, and FAU has produced a 22-15 conference record. Why are they outperforming us within the conference?

On your second point: I am grateful for all that Howard has done on and off the field for FAU, and amazed by what he's done in such a short time. And clearly the guys on our team do want to play for him. I'm not disputing that. But that doesn't change the fact that some recruits are deterred by his age.

The record is in large part due to Troy recruiting JUCO players who come in and make a difference right away. Also, they are more successful with recruiting because of facilities. The stadium will change the face of this program.

While I do not see FAU targeting JUCO players anytime soon, the stadium will have a HUGE impact on recruiting at FAU.

Too many people on this board have lost sight of the fact that we are working with less than many 1-AA teams. Coach has been working with next to nothing in terms of facilities, resources, and community support yet he was still able to win two bowl games and SBC title in a very short amount of time.

Do you really expect to land a knockout while driving a Pinto and having $5 in your savings account? No, you should be happy just to get a date who isn't wrecked.

FAU has been playing in the Pinto of football stadiums and the budget is pitiful and I think the state of recruiting has been pretty good all things considered. Not a 10, but still something that you wouldn't be ashamed to show to friends.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Well said Owlfan1!!!  Let's stop trying to overanalyze recruiting when, in truth, none of us is qualified to judge the recruits.

GO OWLS!!
Back to the top

I am just amazed that so many people can judge a class…good or bad…before ever seeing anyone play.  There are a lot of talented football recruiters on here.  Watch out Howard…watch out Troy…your replacement is a message board recruiter!  ;D

Rivals and Scout are laughing their arses off at what they have created…
Back to the top

The answer as to why FIU and passed us on the field and in recruiting is the following quote;

"Most coaches tend to hedge when asked how many of their new signees are going to be able to play their first year on campus.

Not FIU coach Mario Cristobal.

He said he expects every one of the 25 signees that make up his "best recruiting class" in his five seasons to be on the two-deep at some point next fall."

Granted we beat them again this past year but that was our one and only complete game of the twelve.

I honestly hope that our recruits pull through, but the fact is still that no top recruit will go to a program where he is basically told he will not play for a year or more, especially when that program is a SunBelt program, peresently a weak one at that!

Go Owl's, and welcome to all the new Owl's, work and practice hard and earn your playing time THIS YEAR!

Back to the top

our recruiting should pick up next yr…Imagine if we have two QB's on NFL rosters theres maybe 90 QB's on active rosters and 2 of them are from FAU that has to count for a lot there is probably only a dozen or so schools that can say they have multiple QBs in the league…You would get to play in a brand new stadium the bar would be set pretty low for you as far as national expectations and you get to play in sunny south Florida its a win all they way around.  All the team has to do this yr is win a couple home games show some life and the stars will come running to us next yr
Back to the top

I agree and I still beleive we HAVE TO expand our recruiting area.

Since Florida and S. Florida is getting picked so cleanly by these out-of-state programs, what is there left for us???

It WILL cost money, but as they say in business, you have to spend money to make money. With the new stadium, the game will change, the budget for EVERYTHING will change - Coaching salaries, recruiting budget, advertising, etc….

The saying "build it and they will come" is from a fictional novel - NOT REALITY. We will HAVE TO HAVE a good team on the field to put 30,000 butts in the seats and for them to come back for every game let alone more than once!
Back to the top

owlmart said

our recruiting should pick up next yr…Imagine if we have two QB's on NFL rosters theres maybe 90 QB's on active rosters and 2 of them are from FAU that has to count for a lot there is probably only a dozen or so schools that can say they have multiple QBs in the league…You would get to play in a brand new stadium the bar would be set pretty low for you as far as national expectations and you get to play in sunny south Florida its a win all they way around.  All the team has to do this yr is win a couple home games show some life and the stars will come running to us next yr

I highly doubt we will have two QBs on active rosters in the NFL in 2011. More likely is that we won't have any.

Even so, all that does is make FAU attractive for QB prospects. FAU needs to get more guys in the NFL at a variety of positions in order to have the NFL factor for the recruits.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

owlmart said

I highly doubt we will have two QBs on active rosters in the NFL in 2011. More likely is that we won't have any.

Even so, all that does is make FAU attractive for QB prospects. FAU needs to get more guys in the NFL at a variety of positions in order to have the NFL factor for the recruits.

GO OWLS!!!
Some would say the QB position is pretty important…
Back to the top
Control functions: