Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Quarterback Anthony Romphf Commits to FAU Football's Class of 2020

Add topic

I hope the move is made to the AAC. If we just have one great year where we are in the polls and on tv with maybe an upset somewhere and the talks should
Begin 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I hope the move is made to the AAC. If we just have one great year where we are in the polls and on tv with maybe an upset somewhere and the talks should
Begin 
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 5:26 PM #386781

One great year wont do it, we need to be able to win consistently to build attendance numbers that also includes increasing the number of students living on campus. When you have 10,000+ students living on campus getting average attendance over 20k a game becomes doable. When you get average attendance over 20k a game , TV rights becomes more valuable.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Begin 

That is not how realignment works. UCF has huge years and can't get a call. Houston beat OU, went undefeated, beat FSU in a year they opened a new 45k on-campus stadium. The powers did not care.

Also, joining the AAC does nothing for FAU. If we join the AAC it is because of 2-4  of their top programs moved up.

Is the AAC any different from C-USA if Houston, UCF, Memphis, or Cincy leave?

If you want to know when conferences could change again, go look and see when their TV's contracts end other than that things will most likely be status quo until then.
Back to the top

voss749 said

jgf2017 said

Begin 

One great year wont do it, we need to be able to win consistently to build attendance numbers that also includes increasing the number of students living on campus. When you have 10,000+ students living on campus getting average attendance over 20k a game becomes doable. When you get average attendance over 20k a game, TV rights becomes more valuable.
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 5:41 PM #386782

The AAC just got a new TV deal which pays about 7 million a school compared to the Big 12 which is around 32 million a year per school.
Back to the top

The big boys are protecting their pockets.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

voss749 said

jgf2017 said

Begin 

One great year wont do it, we need to be able to win consistently to build attendance numbers that also includes increasing the number of students living on campus. When you have 10,000+ students living on campus getting average attendance over 20k a game becomes doable. When you get average attendance over 20k a game, TV rights becomes more valuable.

The AAC just got a new TV deal which pays about 7 million a school compared to the Big 12 which is around 32 million a year per school.
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 6:14 PM #386784

And that’s why a move to the AAC would make sense from a financial perspective we barely get $500k from our tv deal. The move won’t happen though unless UCF/USF go to a P5 conference. In which case I think we make the most sense as a replacement but OC40 is right. We have to start winning conference championships consistently and if we have an undefeated season, even if we didn’t play a P5 school (I think the 2021 schedule is set as such) it would help our stock because we would be talked about and ranked. C-USA is not a bad conference to be in given the history and tradition of the conference and budding rivalry with Marshall we can definitely make some noise in the polls if we’re a consistent winner but the problem is that we are not and given the Francois news, I don’t think that will change this year. 
Back to the top

Local Owl said

The big boys are protecting their pockets.
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 6:26 PM #386785

Exactly! The big boys get in charge then create the rules and talking points to keep others from rising and taking anyone their money.
It is not much different from what you see in our country today.

Just think after realignment they created the whole ''G5'' and ''P5'' thing to get people to perceive other schools like FAU as "not as big.''

When an upset happens the talking heads always drop the "they did not take them seriously" or "the game was not important.''

FAU just needs to keep winning and hope the powers change.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

voss749 said

jgf2017 said

Begin 

And that’s why a move to the AAC would make sense from a financial perspective we barely get $500k from our tv deal. The move won’t happen though unless UCF/USF go to a P5 conference. In which case I think we make the most sense as a replacement but OC40 is right. We have to start winning conference championships consistently and if we have an undefeated season, even if we didn’t play a P5 school (I think the 2021 schedule is set as such) it would help our stock because we would be talked about and ranked. C-USA is not a bad conference to be in given the history and tradition of the conference and budding rivalry with Marshall we can definitely make some noise in the polls if we’re a consistent winner but the problem is that we are not and given the Francois news, I don’t think that will change this year. 
Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 7:35 PM #386786

If we go to the AAC because others leave the TV deal will drop. It is no different when we entered C-USA and the networks basically said, we made this deal based on team ABC being here not team XYZ.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

voss749 said

jgf2017 said

Begin 

Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 7:35 PM #386786

If we go to the AAC because others leave the TV deal will drop. It is no different when we entered C-USA and the networks basically said, we made this deal based on team ABC being here not team XYZ.

Posted On: Jun 12th 2019, 7:56 PM #386788

Fair point. We just need to focus on winning honestly. Shane can you comment on what’s going on with Francois or is it safe to assume he won’t be with us this fall?
Back to the top

Let's get real for a minute on this conference talk.  It is not up to us. A conference must want us to join.  No one is going to take us because of a coach or a player or because we beat a team or how many students we have on campus.  We have to build a program.  It's not just about football. To be attractive, we cannot have a D2 basketball gym and a D2 baseball stadium.  Lots of work to do.  Headed in the right direction tho. It takes time.  I think UCF started football about 22 years before us.
Back to the top
Control functions: