Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rutgers

Add topic

Re: Rutgers

Do you think there's a chance he's staying because FIU is in the running for a Big East invite?  I hope this isn't true but I'm having trouble figuring out why he declined the job.
Back to the top

FIU isn't going to the Big East anytime soon.

Chances are they're not going anywhere without us. They may be in the Miami market but that's about all they have going for them. They won the conference last year but lost in their bowl game.

As much as I hate them they are definitely much improved than they were years ago but why else would they get a big east invite, even if it's football only? Their facilities are no better than ours, if anything probably worse. Their stadium is terrible, they had a good team last few seasons and still no one shows up.

They are in an area where they have to compete with UM, we're in an area where there's no other schools close to us. I'm not saying FAU will get the invite or FIU won't because I truly don't know but what I do know is it's not happening this season so let's see how things play out on the field.

Troy dominated the Belt for years, before them UNT dominated and they're both still in the Belt, also the Big East may not even be an AQ conference anymore.  'Cuse and Pitt are gone, WVU wants out as does Louisville

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I'm annoyed that Cristobal didn't take this job. The situation up there must have been pretty bad if he'd turn down (reportedly) $1.5M to stay at FIU. If he was "waiting for a better offer", why even go to interview?

Jab979 said

Chances are they're not going anywhere without us. They may be in the Miami market but that's about all they have going for them. They won the conference last year but lost in their bowl game.

True but UCF also got a spot due to their large enrollment and FIU has an aggressive plan to increase their enrollment. I read that "FIU President Rosenberg wants to continue to increase the number over the next decade with the goal of having FIU enroll more than 60,000 students."

Whether that happens or not, who knows. I think the Legislature really needs to cap each institution at 50,000.

But let's say it did happen: FIU with 60,000 students by 2020. That would make them the largest student body in Florida (if everyone else stayed the same). Combined with the Miami location and investment into all athletic facilities… sure, I could see a BCS invite being thrown their way. Couldn't you?
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

I'm annoyed that Cristobal didn't take this job. The situation up there must have been pretty bad if he'd turn down (reportedly) $1.5M to stay at FIU. If he was "waiting for a better offer", why even go to interview?

Jab979 said

True but UCF also got a spot due to their large enrollment and FIU has an aggressive plan to increase their enrollment. I read that "FIU President Rosenberg wants to continue to increase the number over the next decade with the goal of having FIU enroll more than 60,000 students."

Whether that happens or not, who knows. I think the Legislature really needs to cap each institution at 50,000.

But let's say it did happen: FIU with 60,000 students by 2020. That would make them the largest student body in Florida (if everyone else stayed the same). Combined with the Miami location and investment into all athletic facilities… sure, I could see a BCS invite being thrown their way. Couldn't you?

UCF was also in C-USA and have been rumored of going to the BE for years but USF wouldn't allow them to. Difference is also UCF has been around a lot longer and has had success for a longer period of time with their football program and they were in C-USA already. No one goes from Sun-Belt to Big East without moving up to another conference first

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

UCF was also in C-USA and… and they were in C-USA already. No one goes from Sun-Belt to Big East without moving up to another conference first.

Historically, yes. I'd agree with you on that. But I think it's a technicality. I think if FIU has 60K students and great facilities in their location, they at least merit strong consideration. Understand that I'm not saying I want them to get an invite, just saying they could.

Jab979 said

UCF have been rumored of going to the BE for years but USF wouldn't allow them to.

Yep and USF really dropped the ball by letting UCF get in  ;D
Back to the top

So it's good to have 60,000 students who do not care about football or their sports in general?

Now they have, what? 30,000 students (like us). But they have almost no one at home games, no one at their bowl game - a few hundred miles away may I add, and their basketball attendance is atrocious.

I'm sorry, but having a large student base and market is great, but if no ones cares about them then it all goes for naught.

Now that FAU school: they got 30,000, in a great area, with a football and basketball program on the rise —- with students who CARE.
They even showed up to football games when none of the general public did. And they really come in force to basketball games. You wait, the student section will be overflowed in our second home game after we trounce our first opponent (Warner).

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

About Us - Florida International University - FIU

They have close to 46K and over 110K alumni.
Their support does not match these numbers and I don't think this will change that much.
The main reason is demographics. When 70% or more of your student body comes from somewhere else; there is not much interest in football.
All of my friends that went to FIU don't care about football. They even make fun of me for being so attached to FAU and its football program.

Now, I think Mario Cristobal made a good decision on not taking the Rutgers coaching job. The sunbelt will be paying more next year, he is putting probably the best recruiting class, he probably will win the championship and attend a bowl, FIU is doing renovations in the stadium and his stock is more valuable right now. Better teams will notice this and the right school will come knocking with a good offer.
Back to the top

Pitt is goin tho the ACC next year and Rutgers in a nationally expanding BigEast and his pay would have tripled - those are pretty good offers.

I give him credit for doing the right thing by staying with his program and recruits and not putting himself first, ESPECIALLY with the awful timing of it all! That is what a leader does, not a selfish individual.
Back to the top

What we need is a few wealthy former students like Rutgers has: James Gandolfini (aka Tony Soprano) attended but did not graduate. He actually gave Rutgers a plug in a Sopranos episode once -- when his on-screen daughter was trying to decide where to go to college. He called it a "great school." Who am I to argue?
Back to the top

grayowl said

What we need is a few wealthy former students like Rutgers has: James Gandolfini (aka Tony Soprano) attended but did not graduate. He actually gave Rutgers a plug in a Sopranos episode once – when his on-screen daughter was trying to decide where to go to college. He called it a "great school." Who am I to argue?

FAU does seem to not have a lot of those type of alumni. I know the head of FEMA is one, as is our Astronaut but as those are goverment jobs they arent really super wealthy or socially known.

I think probably the most successful one is Carrot Top?

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: