Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

TE Ishmar Commits

Add topic

Re: TE Ishmar Commits

owlmart said

walty12 said

If our stregth and conditioning program doesn't improve these athletes in the 4-5 years they are at FAU we have a serious problem.  I am just tired of all the talk about 17 and 18 years olds and our recruiting.  People act like these kids peak at 17 and thats as good as they will ever be.

I can tell you that I graduated high school at 150 lbs and graduated college at 180 lbs and was entirely stronger and faster and I drank a ton of beer!  If coach Payne cant take .2 or .3 off a kids 40 time in 4 or 5 years we need a new strength coach.

LOL…Best of luck with that…

Help me understand since you're the expert… Usain Bolt is 24 and Tyson Gay is 28 and I hope we agree that they are worlds two best sprinters, at the Olympics where they finished 1,2 they were 22 and 25 years old respectively so how come, if you can never get faster than where you are at 17, there are no high schoolers dominating the Olympics?
Back to the top

Also, Jacoby Ford ran a 10.32 in the 100m's at the Florida High School State Champs in 2005-06 then at Clemson ran a 10.01 at the NCAA Championships in 08-09…that's a .3 second gain over the course of 3 years which at the speed he was running to begin with, is incredible.

You can't teach speed, but you can sure coach it up.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Also, Jacoby Ford ran a 10.32 in the 100m's at the Florida High School State Champs in 2005-06 then at Clemson ran a 10.01 at the NCAA Championships in 08-09…that's a .3 second gain over the course of 3 years which at the speed he was running to begin with, is incredible.

You can't teach speed, but you can sure coach it up.
Well since I am the expert I'll explain it to you…The fastest athlete in the state of Florida at the time Jacoby Ford ran a 10.32 when he was at Cardinal Newman like you said now keep in mind this is the fastest and best athlete in the state…he then shaved .3 seconds off his 100m time in 3 or 4 yrs like you said so I present to you this logic…The fastest kid in the state lost .3 seconds off his 100m time so now you are telling me and please correct me if I am wrong that someone not as athletically gifted can lose that same .3 seconds running on a grass field that is roughly 1/3 the size of 100 meters? Not only are you saying that you are also saying that someone who we know is going to have to put on muscle is going to lose .3 off his 40 yard dash time? As far as Bolt and Gay go sure they got faster your physical peak is your 20's but did they lose .3 seconds off a 40 time? unlikely…Do they go through the same training regime a college TE goes through? unlikely? Is anyone on our football near as physically gifted as them? Once again unlikely…Once again I feel like I'm beating a dead horse this seems like pretty common sense I'm sure the kid was mis-timed or having a bad day.
Back to the top

Someone running 100m in 10 seconds is not the equivalent of a 4.9 40… one is really fast for a high schooler and one is not that fast for a high schooler. The TE in our equation has the capability to take off .3 if that's what the coaches choose…just like if we recruited a WR that was a 4.4 guy, you don't think that with proper training we could get him to 4.3 or even 4.2??? Cmon. It all depends on what the coaches want to do with him.

Haters gonna Hate
Back to the top

The difference between top level sprinters taking off .3 and a football guy without any speed training taking .3 off is significant. Of course world class sprinters are unlikely to drop .3 of a second off of their times. They are so good that there is little room for improvement. For a kid who has never had any speed training there is all the room in the world to improve. That doesn't mean he will drop .3 off his 40 time, but it is not outside of the realm of possibility. There is a reason so many NFL prospects train in the 40 prior to the combine and pro days. They can cut time off.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

The difference between top level sprinters taking off .3 and a football guy without any speed training taking .3 off is significant. Of course world class sprinters are unlikely to drop .3 of a second off of their times. They are so good that there is little room for improvement. For a kid who has never had any speed training there is all the room in the world to improve. That doesn't mean he will drop .3 off his 40 time, but it is not outside of the realm of possibility. There is a reason so many NFL prospects train in the 40 prior to the combine and pro days. They can cut time off.

GO OWLS!!!

Thanks for that post, perfect.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

i hear everyone is high on alex deleon he has size speed and hands
Back to the top
Control functions: