Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2007 Football & Future Schedules

Add topic

Re: 2007 Football & Future Schedules

My understanding is we only have to play the Shula Bowl there when it is an FAU home game.  That is the only contract.  We shouldn't have to play UAB there.  We only play there when a bigger school insists such as Minnesota this year, and Ok State prior.  Those teams would not give us a home game unless we moved the game to Dolphins stadium. 
Back to the top

The error in the schedule is WKU. We play AT Western next year:

http://www.wkusports.com/pdf/FutureWKUFootballSchedules1.pdf

This season (Minnesota) and previously (OK State) those OOC teams had it written into the contract that the games (part of a 2-for-1 deal) would be played at Dolphin Stadium. Otherwise, they might not have agreed to the contracts. They count as neutral site games for us, of which we can only have 1 per season (NCAA rules). This is why we could only play USF at Lockhart.

I would be shocked we we agreed to play UAB twice at Dolphin Stadium… There is no way we would have agreed to such a contract as there's no $$$ in it for us (as opposed to the MN and OK St. contracts which included two money games each). UAB is not a money game. It's the first I-A series we have a chance of winning and a sign of the program maturing.

These games do not count towards what we "owe" Dolphin Stadium.

As for the Dolphin Stadium contract, it's horrible. We only played ONE season there and we will still be paying for it six years from now… The 2008, 2010, and 2012 Shula Bowls all must be played at Dolphin Stadium, AFAIK. It will be silly to be playing there when we have our own stadium. I guess we can thank the Miami Fusion and the administration at the time for getting us into this situation.

FIU will not see our stadium until 2014!

Here's what our AD recently wrote on his blog:

As you know, when FAU first started playing football they were only able to play at Dolphin Stadium. Later, Lockhart Stadium opened its doors to us and we moved to Lockhart. However, in order to get out of our contract with Dolphin Stadium we had to promise them one game every other year at their venue. That was designated as FAU's home game against FIU every other year. That is what we are contractually bound to do for the next six years. Also, we can rent the stadium out for big games from time to time. When we scheduled Minnesota down here they wanted to play in a "big league" stadium rather than a small high school facility as Lockhart Stadium. Therefore, in order for us to get Minnesota to come play in South Florida we needed to play the game at Dolphin Stadium. The same is true for Oklahoma State. These teams from these major conferences are not interested in playing a game at a high school stadium such as Lockhart Stadium. Even the University of South Florida requested Dolphin Stadium rather than Lockhart Stadium but the NCAA rules only allow us to play one neutral site home game a year. You are right that is better to play at a smaller venue and fill it up like we did with USF instead of a big venue where it looks very empty.
Back to the top

Fledgling said

Bytor, will we play UAB 2008 at Dolphin Stadium then?  I hear they don't draw very well.

I heard they're terrible. This year they were 2-7 in conference (CUSA), 2-10 overall. Ouch.
Back to the top

A former FAU administrator who would know told me it costs us 30,000 each game to play at dolphins stadium.  Nova's H. Wayne Huizenga school of business must teach you how to rape and pillage the poor!

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Fledgling said

Bytor, will we play UAB 2008 at Dolphin Stadium then?  I hear they don't draw very well.

I heard they're terrible. This year they were 2-7 in conference (CUSA), 2-10 overall. Ouch.

FWIW, UAB's Attendance:

21,828 vs Alcorn State
24,144 vs Tulane
11,588 vs Houston
13,348 vs Southern Miss
12,621 vs UCF

16,706 Avg

www.essency.net
Back to the top

Dolphin Stadium will NOT be necessary. Don't expect them to travel well and UAB currently stinks.

From what I heard, the home attendance averages (above) are generous, but given Legion Field's location ….

Back to the top

Still, and OOC game that we can win…I don't care how many fans they'll bring…we should start to fill Lockhart on our own soon, and then we'll be in OUR new burrow.
Back to the top

Bytor said

Jab979 said

Bytor I was looking at the schedule for next season, is it possible we have 7 home games next year?

I will have to check on the schedules accuracy - 7 home games does seem off  ::)

Don't we also play AT Arkansas State next season?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

I'm disappointed UCF isn't on your schedule.  To me the most compelling match up in the state would be FAU v UCF - you guys played a tougher schedule, otherwise I'm sure your W/L record but be just as good.  I'd tend to give FAU the edge.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

You get the horns.
Back to the top

EduBull said

I'm disappointed UCF isn't on your schedule.  To me the most compelling match up in the state would be FAU v UCF - you guys played a tougher schedule, otherwise I'm sure your W/L record but be just as good.  I'd tend to give FAU the edge.

not to mention almost beat you

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: