Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2008 Opener Rumor

2008 Opener Rumor

2008 Opener Rumor

Personally would rather play the U. I think it would be easier to hype the game.

Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

North Texas pulled out and we are looking for an opponent. I haven't heard any names but I would certainly be pleasantly surprised if it was the Owls.
Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

owlcountry said

faualum said

We should be even better next year since, again, most of the starters will be returning. it would be a good year to play UM.
I wonder if it is possible to reschedule UT?

If we do play UM next year, does that mean we have a rivalry with them?

Does FIU play UM in 2008? It says they do on their wikipedia article.

As an avid Wikipedia editor myself (for FAU), I can tell you that the Wikipedia article for FIU has been seriously destroyed by propaganda.

Wikipedia articles are supposed to be balanced and fair with citations to sources and there is nothing but positive information on the FIU page.

If you try to change it so it reflects reality, the main perpetrator will change it back and note the need for a revision as "defeating vandalism". It's an immature game to change it back and forth and as the recent Wikiscanner story reveals, Wikipedia is more about advertising now than about truth.

That perpetrator also attempted to change our football stadium date until after 2013 to draw attention away from their much-touted proclamation that "once the FIU stadium is completed, FIU will be the only school south of Orlando to host football games in an on-campus stadium."

When a note was added about FAU's upcoming stadium, the perpetrator erased it with the reason that "FAU's BOT refuses to allocate money for the stadium and 2012 is pushing it even for a temporary stadium."

Obviously some people are ill-informed but I'll revise the note again when our stadium gets approved.

Here's the problem with Wikipedia…it is created and maintained by the public. That means that people can create their own realities and assert their own sense of authority about a subject. As many of us know or at least realize, the public consists of idiots as well as geniuses. As the guy from FIU illustrates, authority can be manipulated to the benefit of one's own agenda.

For the above mentioned reasons Wikipedia shouldn't be given much credence in my opinion.

Back to the subject at hand, BRING ON THE CANES!!!!

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

GhostOfBuchanan said

A die-hard Hurricane fan told me that they're trying to get a massive game for that 2008 opener, as it's their first game at Dolphin Stadium….i.e. not against us. I'll see him later and ask him which team it was again.

I don't want to say your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, but UM travels to Gainesville the following weekend to lay the Gators. They will not be scheduling a team that will give them fits when a HUMONGOUS rivalry game is the following weekend. The Gators haven't beaten the Canes since 1985 and the last time UM traveled to Gainesville they murdered UF in the Swamp.

North Texas pulled out because it was announced at the press conference by Paul Dee that UM would be seeking a new opponent and knew that this was going to happen anyway.

As far as national exposure goes, if UM has the season this year that many insiders feel they will, we (FAU) will get much more exposure playing the Canes than the Longhorns.
Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

SigEp77 said

As far as national exposure goes, if UM has the season this year that many insiders feel they will, we (FAU) will get much more exposure playing the Canes than the Longhorns.

I don't know if that is true. UM vs. FAU will still be a regional game despite the success of UM. It might be shown in Florida and most certainly will get mentioned on Sunshine Network.

TEXAS vs. FAU pits two teams from more or less opposite ends of the country. That means that the game will most likely be broadcast in Texas as well as Florida. I think it will reach a broader audience than UM vs. FAU. We shall have to wait and see.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

owlfan1 said

SigEp77 said

I don't know if that is true. UM vs. FAU will still be a regional game despite the success of UM. It might be shown in Florida and most certainly will get mentioned on Sunshine Network.

TEXAS vs. FAU pits two teams from more or less opposite ends of the country. That means that the game will most likely be broadcast in Texas as well as Florida. I think it will reach a broader audience than UM vs. FAU. We shall have to wait and see.

GO OWLS!!!

While you have an extremely valid point, this can be debated ad nauseaum.

However, UM will be moving into a new facility for there home games. ESPN will run with this talking about a new era, the ghost of the OB etc.

Whenever UM is on TV, it is a big deal with the networks. If you notice, there are plenty of games on ESPN Classic lately that feature UM, either one of their 5 NC's or where they were upset by a UMD in '84, PSU in the Fiesta Bowl, ND in another Fiesta Bowl.

I've said it before and I will stick to this, networks like ESPN need UM Football more than 95% of other CFB programs. That is why I think it would garner more attention than Texas.

But like you said, we will have to wait and see.
Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

Texas has just announced we are playing them next year. It will be a one-off game, not a series as previously thought.
Back to the top

2008 Opener Rumor

Lm77 said

Texas has just announced we are playing them next year. It will be a one-off game, not a series as previously thought.

I think there is still room in the schedule to sign up with UM. That would be a pretty tough OOC schedule. Ted Hutton stated in his blog that UAB is talking with FAU. That wouldn't be one of the "body bag" games. I think they were looking at 2008, not sure. I don't temember what the limit per season on those games are.

Of course in 2008, according to some predictions as to how good the team will be and according to how well FAU does this year, it can be argued that some of those other OOC games really aren't "body Bag" games. We play Minnestoa this year and next. If we win or at least do very well, that couldn't be considered "body bag" in 2008.

The other big game in 2008 is Michigan State, which is on my list to attend since it is a reasonable drive.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: