Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2008 Recruiting

Re: 2008 Recruiting

2008 Recruiting

faudiehard said

I also like the idea of college students being only a couple of years away from the business world, which in turn translates into future customers. I LIKE IT…I LIKE IT ALOT!

Future customers?  How about future executives through internships? 
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

faudiehard said

Another idea for O.D. might also be: If they donate the money for the stadium, they get the wholesale office supply contract for the university. I am sure that has to be a pretty decent account.

we have many accounts at present…and they total in the millions per year…

we also entered and were a finalist on the bid for the Retail Storefront, and all copy and ship services (university wide) but lost that to…drumroll:

TOSHIBA…….

i know…what in the world do they have to do with Office Products and Shipping?!  NOTHING…dont get that one…

Its a three year deal, so we'll see what happens when it comes renewal time…

Thought for certain we would win it…and was looking forward to running the operation…

Very interesting. And for what it is worth I am a big fan of O.D. I think the company is very well organized. I also think you guys smoke Office Max… very poor management.

As for sitting in the stands…funny that you mentioned that. I was actually 100% in on the Club level, until going to N.O. Now I am second guessing myself, if I would rather be in Club Level or front row on the 50. The only thing holding me back from front row on the 50 is……BEER!
Back to the top

fauowl said

faudiehard said

I also like the idea of college students being only a couple of years away from the business world, which in turn translates into future customers. I LIKE IT…I LIKE IT ALOT!

Sorry my mind does not work that way…but you are absolutely correct.
Back to the top

faudiehard said

As for sitting in the stands…funny that you mentioned that. I was actually 100% in on the Club level, until going to N.O. Now I am second guessing myself, if I would rather be in Club Level or front row on the 50. The only thing holding me back from front row on the 50 is……BEER!

lol…you and alot of others as well!

im not a drinker, but did go to one game in the Box - Minnesota…due to the heat that day…it was crazy?!

plus they have better food:

The Lockfart "Boxes" aren't anything special…
Back to the top

fauowl said

that's part of the desire OD has to "partner" with FAU…the new Colleg of Business Building we funded is aimed at this committment…

it will be state of the art…nothing like it in this area…
Back to the top

Florida_Owl said

fauowl said

that's part of the desire OD has to "partner" with FAU…the new Colleg of Business Building we funded is aimed at this committment…

it will be state of the art…nothing like it in this area…

To bring a quality employee up to speed at a large company ( I work for AT&T), it costs a company hundreds of thousands of dollars.  So with a great partnership with a University utilizing internships, a company could make back the lousy $1M per year naming rights in a second.
Back to the top

All of this Office Depot information is unbelievable. (CEO/FAU grad, local company, college of business, internships) For 1,000,000 bucks a year, why wouldn't O.D. put their name on the stadium? That is chump change for a company of this size.
Back to the top

faudiehard said

All of this Office Depot information is unbelievable. (CEO/FAU grad, local company, college of business, internships) For 1,000,000 bucks a year, why wouldn't O.D. put their name on the stadium? That is chump change for a company of this size.

The only reason I can think of as to why they wouldn't do it…is perception.  Business is all about creating shareholder value.  If the shareholders do not see the value, then it is a tough sell.

Florida_Owl mentioned OD has had recent financial woes as have many companies, so it is difficult for shareholders to buy into a stadium naming rights contract…primarily due to perception, whether it makes sense or not.
Back to the top

fauowl said

The only reason I can think of as to why they wouldn't do it…is perception.  Business is all about creating shareholder value.  If the shareholders do not see the value, then it is a tough sell.

Florida_Owl mentioned OD has had recent financial woes as have many companies, so it is difficult for shareholders to buy into a stadium naming rights contract…primarily due to perception, whether it makes sense or not.

I don't know if I agree with that one. Mostly all (if not all) the stadiums with corporate names around the country are all public. If anything a stadium could improve a stocks credibility. Furthermore, any business person knows that when sales slow, that is the time to advertise. The only reason, I could possibly think that O.D. would not put their name on the stadium, is because they might feel that our program is to small and that it would not get a lot of exposure. However, if they do believe in the program and realize that we are possibly a team of the future, it is an absolute steal for 1 million bucks.

To give a perfect example. I never even heard of Brighthouse prior to the UCF naming. Since placing their name on the stadium, I now hear their name all the time, as I am sure everybody else in the state of Florida can attest to as well.
Back to the top

faudiehard said

fauowl said

I don't know if I agree with that one. Mostly all (if not all) the stadiums with corporate names around the country are all public. If anything a stadium could improve a stocks credibility. Furthermore, any business person knows that when sales slow, that is the time to advertise. The only reason, I could possibly think that O.D. would not put their name on the stadium, is because they might feel that our program is to small and that it would not get a lot of exposure. However, if they do believe in the program and realize that we are possibly a team of the future, it is an absolute steal for 1 million bucks.

To give a perfect example. I never even heard of Brighthouse prior to the UCF naming. Since placing their name on the stadium, I now hear their name all the time, as I am sure everybody else in the state of Florida can attest to as well.

But are you in a position to purchase Bright House Networks products, such as Cable, Internet, and telephone services…probably not because they are not in this area (that I know of)…however you could purchase their stock which would be beneficial.

My point is, it has to make business sense for a company to pay for naming rights.  Will it increase brand awareness?  Will it increase sales?  Will it increase shareholder value?  Will it increase business awareness?  In the case of OD, I think it does, but there are many factors involved.  In the case of a company like Bright House and many other companies, it may not make sense in the Boca area, so it narrows the field a bit.
Back to the top
Control functions: