Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2009 IMPACT PLAYER

Add topic

Who will be the IMPACT player of the year in 2009?

Chris Bonner
Rusty Smith
Cortez Gent
Jason Harmon
J. Grant
W. Rose

You must select between 1 and 43 options

2009 IMPACT PLAYER

This was a good recruiting class.
Back to the top

Re: 2009 IMPACT PLAYER

footballfan47 said

Tell that to some of the FIU board members. They think FAU hasn't recruited well at all.  ??? Which is pretty funny. ;D

I guess the people that feel that way have no memory. FAU dominated the SBC player awards in 2007. How many did we have on the 1st team and 2nd team?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

footballfan47 said

Tell that to some of the FIU board members. They think FAU hasn't recruited well at all.  ??? Which is pretty funny. ;D

I guess the people that feel that way have no memory. FAU dominated the SBC player awards in 2007. How many did we have on the 1st team and 2nd team?

I saw that too and just started laughing. I guess having a winning record and kicking their butts doesn't count in their recruiting world.  They seem to be really caught up in the recruiting aspect but they can't but a decent product on the field.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Everyone knows that what players do on the field during their college careers isn't nearly as important as how many stars 18 year old kids have put next to their names by a couple of for-profit websites.  ::)

I especially love when a player is rated as a "2 star" recuit when he's being offered by FAU or another mid major and then gets bumped up to a 4 star when he signs with a BCS school.

So if an FIU fan wants to brag about winning recruiting, that is fine…I'll just take the actual wins.
Back to the top

ACTUAL recruiting is being able to assess talent that doesn't have a lot of exposure, which is something that our coaching staff has excelled at…let the FIU coaches stress over landing a 3 or 4** kid if they want, most of the time they're never as impressive as they say they will be. It's not like we're battling over 5* recruits here.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

I especially love when a player is rated as a "2 star" recuit when he's being offered by FAU or another mid major and then gets bumped up to a 4 star when he signs with a BCS school.

Heh heh… those Rivals ratings are total bulls**t.  :D
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

illinoisowl said

footballfan47 said

I saw that too and just started laughing. I guess having a winning record and kicking their butts doesn't count in their recruiting world.  They seem to be really caught up in the recruiting aspect but they can't but a decent product on the field.

Seasons Greetings…  Another interesting thread about FIU here, it seems.  ;D

Yes, we are very hopeful with, not only the recruiting inroads Cristobal and the new staff is making- as we are landing or fighting for some players which we never did in the Strock era-, but with the actual on the field improvement.  After all, there were many people…including many friends in this board…that did not expect FIU to win more than one game.  I would say that some of those Cristobal young recruits are helping in turning around the program.  There's little argument that T.Y. Hilton (BTW, he was also "only" a 2-star player) was the best freshman in the SBC, and like him, a bunch of freshmen and true sophomores were a big part of the improvement…..and they are products of Cristobals' last two classess (his first two as well).

I would say, regardless of the horrible state FIU's program was when the new coaching staff took over, that the product Cristobal put on the field last year was just a bit "less decent" than FAU, so it shouldn't be that bad.
Back to the top

FIUFanatic said

dusky256fc said

illinoisowl said

footballfan47 said

Seasons Greetings…   Another interesting thread about FIU here, it seems.  ;D

Yes, we are very hopeful with, not only the recruiting inroads Cristobal and the new staff is making- as we are landing or fighting for some players which we never did in the Strock era-, but with the actual on the field improvement.  After all, there were many people…including many friends in this board…that did not expect FIU to win more than one game.  I would say that some of those Cristobal young recruits are helping in turning around the program.  There's little argument that T.Y. Hilton (BTW, he was also "only" a 2-star player) was the best freshman in the SBC, and like him, a bunch of freshmen and true sophomores were a big part of the improvement…..and they are products of Cristobals' last two classess (his first two as well).

I would say, regardless of the horrible state FIU's program was when the new coaching staff took over, that the product Cristobal put on the field last year was just a bit "less decent" than FAU, so it shouldn't be that bad.

No doubt your program is in MUCH better shape now then it was under Strock.  The point was that someone said that FAU doesn't recriut well, which clearly is not the case considering the results.  We weren't knocking FIU's recruiting.  You guys have been doing a good job as well.  Obviously we all know that in South Florida, there is plenty of talent to go around.  I just think some people get so caught up in the whole star ratings thing.  If an 18 year old is a 2 star or 3 star, who really cares.  The question is, can they play at the next level?  There have been plenty of 4 and 5 star busts and even more 2 star guys that go on to become top college players and get to the NFL.
Back to the top

To get this thread back on track - I thought it was about the FAU players that will have the most impact for the Owls in '09.

Rusty will be tested - young line, we know what happen when Paris was sidelined.

Losing two work horse in the back field, in Pierre & Edge.

Plus, add the fact that we will have a new OC, what type of efect this will have?

Rusty will be tested on his leadership skills again.

Add, a few young guns - Morris, Rolle in the back field, I am really looking to see what these two can do.  Big shoe to fill.  Pierre has now raised the bar for others to follow.

Back to the top

I'm looking forward to Harmon coming back. He is more sure handed than the other receivers. He really could have been used this year with all the drops.  We didn't have the record we were hoping for but we made it to a bowl game and won. So the season turned out OK. I think Harmon will have a good year in 2009.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: