Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

"Michigan State could play a 2010 football game against Florida Atlantic in Chicago's Soldier Field or Detroit's Ford Field because of an unusual scheduling dilemma.

Florida Atlantic, from the Sun Belt Conference, in unable to play next year's game at home because construction of its new football stadium won't be completed until 2011."

Story
Back to the top

Re: 2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

Rick said

"Michigan State could play a 2010 football game against Florida Atlantic in Chicago's Soldier Field or Detroit's Ford Field because of an unusual scheduling dilemma.

Florida Atlantic, from the Sun Belt Conference, in unable to play next year's game at home because construction of its new football stadium won't be completed until 2011."

Story

"Florida Atlantic athletic director Craig Angelos was quoted in the Palm Beach Post story as saying he believes a game at either Soldier Field or Ford Field could sell about 50,000 tickets."

Yeah, all wearing Spartan green…… ::)
Back to the top

Interesting…

If we play them at their place next year, then we might be able to get them down here in 2011 instead to open the New Stadium…….

FAU must be angling towards that possibility…that would mean that we would not play a home game next year until October 9th, and would only
have three games at Lockhart though :o

But we would have SIX true home games, all in Boca, in 2011 ;D

Will ask about this tommorow…
Back to the top

Soldier Field would be good for me. 3 hours away. Ford Field about double that.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I hate the idea - we need more home games, even if it is in Miami.
Back to the top

Also keep in mind that if this happens this is considered a "home" game.

Meaning FAU would keep the gate reciepts from tickets sold.

FAU is paying 150K for MState to come down here next year. They could recoup that and make a 200K if the game is up north.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

FAU is paying 150K for MState to come down here next year. They could recoup that and make a 200K if the game is up north.

Good point O_F…I spoke with Ted tonight, and he asserted the same POV - since all hands on deck are aimed at generating $$$$$$$ right now.

Still hoping FAU will pitch the idea to have them return here in 20011 rather than us go there…money will very likely not be as tight, we should be able to pony the $150k by then, and we need a draw of some sort…will they accept it? Probably not…but it's worth a shot…afterall, they want a recruiting presence…that's why these teams take these games…they think they can sneak in, impress recruits, get paid, and grab an easy win…

The thought of opening our new digs with the likes of *choke* ULM is just, well, LAME.

The question was also raised in our conversation as to whether they would draw down here…MSU does have a decent contingent of alums in SFL: 4,000…so even if only 20% made the game that is 800 green jerseys in the September sun ;D

Back to the top

Sweet home Chicago!!! Mark me down for Soldier Field!!!

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfamily said

Actually, it could net us in the neighborhood of $2 million (which would be 50,000 tickets at $40 each).  If that is the case, they should go ahead and move the game up north.  Yes, you lose a home game, which would suck, but if they are able to use that $2 million and put it into stadium construction and help to ensure us opening our OCS in 2011, I will have no problem with it.

If this does happen, I wonder if we would then try to move another game to try and avoid having so many road games to start the year…maybe we could flip-flop the date of the UAB game with a conference game…or maybe try and push the Texas game to another year and pick up a I-AA team(although I'm not sure if Texas would go for that).  It'll be interesting.
Back to the top

I wouldn't mind having one less home game next season - the added financial benefits seem to make sense for us.

Seems like a lot of details still need to be ironed out.
Back to the top
Control functions: