Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

Re: 2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

"Coach Schnellenberger is back to his moneymaking tricks"

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Story
Back to the top

If we play at Soldier Field I would hope the school would put together a package for students as well as fans. Playing so few games at "home" will never bring the fans out and we need to also concentrate on our fan base. I would demand a guaranteed payout before moving this game.

Sorry, but I am still fuming that we won't have a stadium by 2010 and now I am being told I will need to shell out another >$500 next year to see my Owls play? I would have rather write my $500.00 check to FAU for the stadium then pay it to the airlines and the Chicago economy.

Back to the top

Brilliant!  I love it!!!
Back to the top

I love the idea…if I could pump my money into any economy for a road trip I'm picking Chi-town over Lafayette, Louisiana or Denton, TX. Flights to Chicago are cheap and plentiful for all, no rental car necessary and that city is amazing. It's not very often you get to play a football game in a city like that, NYC, LA and Chicago aren't known for their college football experience. I think it'd be really cool.

Yeah we lose a home game in Ft. Lauderdale, and perhaps the school will make up for it in season tix prices or something but it's an interesting circumstance and I'm sure MSU didn't sign that contract with the plan of playing at freaking lockhart.
Back to the top

I think they should have the game at Ford Field in Detroit.  They say there are 22k MSU alums in the Chicago area, but 80k in the Detroit area.  If we are doing this thing for the money then do it for the money.  If they think they can draw the same to each site, then it doesn't matter.
Back to the top

fauowl said

I think they should have the game at Ford Field in Detroit.  They say there are 22k MSU alums in the Chicago area, but 80k in the Detroit area.  If we are doing this thing for the money then do it for the money.  If they think they can draw the same to each site, then it doesn't matter.

I'm sure it would also depend on facility rental cost, which facility gives them a "better deal," and travel costs for the team.

We could do it at the Alamodome on San Antonio!! *wink* ;D

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Play it in Chicago, You will draw msu alumni form entire region for that plus B10 people hoping to see MSU lose! 50K easily, more likely a sell-out and probably on TV too! That game will pay for our entire season (bowl game included)!!
Back to the top

Soldier Field in Chicago is a very good idea, though the loss of an actual home game would be a problem. If the schedule stays the same (Sept. 11, 2010), the game most likely would dodge the bad weather (though one never knows for sure in Chicago). As someone noted in an earlier post, it is easy to get to Chicago (plane, train) and very easy to get around in Chicago (trains, taxis). Further, it is possible that the Bears might be at home the same weekend (the 2010 NFL schedule won't be out for a long time, though). Depending on the opponent, tickets could be tricky – but they're always available for a price. Same for the Cubs and White Sox.
Back to the top

They'll go play whereever they get the best deal, but I would much rather it be in Chicago then Detroit.  Chicago is a great place to visit and I'm sure we'd get more Owls fans to fly there for the trip.  But it'll come down to which facility offers the best deal.  Either way, this is a good idea.  Even though we are sacrificing the home game, it'll bring in a lot of $$$ that can go toward the stadium. 
Back to the top

grayowl said

Soldier Field in Chicago is a very good idea, though the loss of an actual home game would be a problem. If the schedule stays the same (Sept. 11, 2010), the game most likely would dodge the bad weather (though one never knows for sure in Chicago). As someone noted in an earlier post, it is easy to get to Chicago (plane, train) and very easy to get around in Chicago (trains, taxis). Further, it is possible that the Bears might be at home the same weekend (the 2010 NFL schedule won't be out for a long time, though). Depending on the opponent, tickets could be tricky – but they're always available for a price. Same for the Cubs and White Sox.

All good points. Also Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities in the country if not the world. I have spoken to many people who have traveled all over the U.S. and Europe and on numerous occasions people have mentioned how Chicago stacks up with the best. If you have never been and this goes through it is a must attend game. Almost like a bowl game in the early part of the season.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: