Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

Re: 2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

2010 MSU game may move to soldier field...

fauowls44 said

They'll go play whereever they get the best deal, but I would much rather it be in Chicago then Detroit.  Chicago is a great place to visit and I'm sure we'd get more Owls fans to fly there for the trip.  But it'll come down to which facility offers the best deal.  Either way, this is a good idea.  Even though we are sacrificing the home game, it'll bring in a lot of $$$ that can go toward the stadium.

Do you think a lot of Owl fans would travel for such a game? I would hope so, but I guess that remains to be seen. Plus, I'm sure we all have a different definition of "a lot." My "a lot" would be 20 fans that don't have a son, daughter, husband, wife, etc. on the team plane.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Chicago is a great opportunity to tap into the Alumni base there…the numbers I've got from a couple of years ago show 700+ alumni in Illinios and a few hundred of those in Cook County which makes up the alumni just IN Chicago let alone the others that would drive to the game.
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

fauowls44 said

They'll go play whereever they get the best deal, but I would much rather it be in Chicago then Detroit.  Chicago is a great place to visit and I'm sure we'd get more Owls fans to fly there for the trip.  But it'll come down to which facility offers the best deal.  Either way, this is a good idea.  Even though we are sacrificing the home game, it'll bring in a lot of $$$ that can go toward the stadium.

Do you think a lot of Owl fans would travel for such a game? I would hope so, but I guess that remains to be seen. Plus, I'm sure we all have a different definition of "a lot." My "a lot" would be 20 fans that don't have a son, daughter, husband, wife, etc. on the team plane.

I wouldn't say a lot…just more then there would be if the game is in Detroit.

And just having visited Chicago for the first time a few months ago, I can attest that it is a great city and if you haven't been, this would be a great opportunity.  There is a lot to do and see there…if the weather is nice. 
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Chicago is a great opportunity to tap into the Alumni base there…the numbers I've got from a couple of years ago show 700+ alumni in Illinios and a few hundred of those in Cook County which makes up the alumni just IN Chicago let alone the others that would drive to the game.

Possible. It's also possible that 600+ of those alumni don't even know we have a football team or don't care, unfortunately  :-\

Chicago is amazing though. My parents are from Chicago.
Back to the top

Where's this pessimism when you're talking about the football team?  :) No rose colored glasses when it comes to fan base and alumni huh?

Fair enough, but what better way to get some people reconnected with their university than to have a football game in their backyard? Sure, they're not going to travel to Florida to see a game, but perhaps they'd drive an hour or two to check out their alma mater. At the end of the day, winning puts buts in the seats and we haven't don't that on a scale that the casual fan would appreciate. It gives us odds to have an extra few hundred fans in the stands for a road game, which is many more than we usually have.

There were a lot of Florida graduates 30 years ago that didn't really care about their football team either. They are the ones with the gator logo'd hats, towels, headcovers, license plates, shorts, socks, everything…
Back to the top

If it goes to Soldier Field, we need to keep at the beginning of the schedule before the blizzards come around....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Exactly about UF. When they sucked, very few cared about them. We have to prove ourselves every game and every year to build that LOYAL fan base who will travel anywhere and wear their teams colors anywhere and everywhere!
Back to the top

I hope we can pull this off and get a nice lkarge cash grab for the team with a lot of added publicity (probably national TV) too!

Besides, we are gonna need some cash to alter the 2011 scedule to pay off our current home opener opponent and sign a multi-year deal to bring in a big name national program for another TV game. All this national publicity will boost our recruiting locally and especially nationally. As much as we talk about all the recruits in South Florida, to become a nationally ranked program, we have to expand our recruituing base so that at least 20% of the roster is out of state. We are letting too many of our opponents free reign in the southeast particularly, while they also slip in and steal 20-30 Florida kid's each year. We need to dominate recruiting at our current level, not just compete. And with the team's success, Howard and the new stadium, that day is coming!!!!
Back to the top

MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis:

“We’ll play wherever they end up choosing, whether it be Chicago, Detroit or on the moon,” Hollis said.

The Latest
Back to the top

Rick said

MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis:

“We’ll play wherever they end up choosing, whether it be Chicago, Detroit or on the moon,” Hollis said.

Yeah, that's not going to work. You have to book the moon at least five years in advance.
Back to the top
Control functions: