Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2012 Coach Wish list

Re: 2012 Coach Wish list

2012 Coach Wish list

walty12 said

I love the thought of Jared Allen.  Would be comforting to know a guy that truly cares about the University and program is in charge.  He would need to have some great recruitors to assist him though…being from Edmund, OK doesn't help his cause.

I think Allen is one of the top, if not the top recruiters on our staff. From what I have seen at practices, and heard from prospects is that he  can relate to them. Just think he is arguable the second most influential person to this program, if you look at how many games he has taken place in. (started FAU's first 45 games at qb, been on the coaching staff for three years etc.)

I know he is young, but last year when he stood up and gave a speech for the groundbreaking ceremony for the stadium, I turned to the person next to me and said, "He would make a great head coach…"

Back to the top

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

and finally and probably most important, his name alone will help sell tickets for our new stadium. If we continue losing then we are going to have to live with an empty stadium for a long time.

Don't look now, but Howard Schnellenberger has a bigger name (and longer) in college football in the state than does Mike Leach.

The losing has a lot to do with the lack of talent caused by playing in a High School stadium.  I could out recruit both Howard and Leach if they had Lockhart and I had the new on campus stadium.  Whomever is the coach after Howard will have it 1000 times easier–and it will still never be easy…just easier.  Urban Meyer would struggle to recruit with the situation we had the past 10 years.

Ok i am so tierd of the stdium will slove our recurting winning problems but you have to remeber a stadium dose not put us ahead of anybody it just makes us like everybody if we go 3-9 this the stadium will have quikly worn off

My second point is look at how many games Rich Rod won at WV
Back to the top

Rich Rod would be a terrible fit for FAU and that will never happen. He did terrible at Michigan who btw has the biggest stadium in the country and is one of the most prestigious universities of all time and he still couldn't win. Even if he wanted to come here I wouldn't want him anyway
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

and finally and probably most important, his name alone will help sell tickets for our new stadium. If we continue losing then we are going to have to live with an empty stadium for a long time.

Don't look now, but Howard Schnellenberger has a bigger name (and longer) in college football in the state than does Mike Leach.

The losing has a lot to do with the lack of talent caused by playing in a High School stadium.  I could out recruit both Howard and Leach if they had Lockhart and I had the new on campus stadium.  Whomever is the coach after Howard will have it 1000 times easier–and it will still never be easy…just easier.  Urban Meyer would struggle to recruit with the situation we had the past 10 years.

Ok i am so tierd of the stdium will slove our recurting winning problems but you have to remeber a stadium dose not put us ahead of anybody it just makes us like everybody if we go 3-9 this the stadium will have quikly worn off

Were you drunk when you wrote this? lol. I've seen better spelling and grammar on a 1st grader haha  ;)

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I don't think for a minute that the stadium solves all our problems, recruiting or otherwise.  I do think it is a major piece that had to happen for this program to develop.  Without it, I do not think ANY coach could have made it any better.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

To not recognize that a lot of our challanges as a program…especially with recruiting dont stem from our facilites more specifically Lockhart Stadium is just being blind.

You guys can listen if you want…NO COACH WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER WITH FAU'S SITUATION THAN HS.  NONE.

When HS had the facilities of a large University he won a National Championship and kick started a dynasty.  Mike Leach and Rich Rod…not so much.

You guys want Jimmy Johnson to win Nascar with a Chevy Malibu?  Howard has done the best he can with the resources available.  To not recognize that sucks.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

fauowl said

owlcountry40 said

I don't think for a minute that the stadium solves all our problems, recruiting or otherwise.  I do think it is a major piece that had to happen for this program to develop.  Without it, I do not think ANY coach could have made it any better.

+1000

Back to the top

FAU said

walty12 said

I love the thought of Jared Allen.  Would be comforting to know a guy that truly cares about the University and program is in charge.  He would need to have some great recruitors to assist him though…being from Edmund, OK doesn't help his cause.

I think Allen is one of the top, if not the top recruiters on our staff. From what I have seen at practices, and heard from prospects is that he  can relate to them. Just think he is arguable the second most influential person to this program, if you look at how many games he has taken place in. (started FAU's first 45 games at qb, been on the coaching staff for three years etc.)

Thanks for the insight on that.  I did not realize that.

I know he is young, but last year when he stood up and gave a speech for the groundbreaking ceremony for the stadium, I turned to the person next to me and said, "He would make a great head coach…"

Back to the top

walty12 said

To not recognize that a lot of our challanges as a program…especially with recruiting dont stem from our facilites more specifically Lockhart Stadium is just being blind.

You guys can listen if you want…NO COACH WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER WITH FAU'S SITUATION THAN HS.  NONE.

When HS had the facilities of a large University he won a National Championship and kick started a dynasty.  Mike Leach and Rich Rod…not so much.

You guys want Jimmy Johnson to win Nascar with a Chevy Malibu?  Howard has done the best he can with the resources available.  To not recognize that sucks.

Very well said, couldn't have said it better and couldn't agree more.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

fauowl said

owlcountry40 said

Just to debate because its summer time and obviously I love to  ;D

What problems do we have that are not solved by the stadium?

I see our major problems as…

1.  Reputation as a program in the local area (Broward, Palm Beach and Dade) being low.  I believe that low reputation is due largely to Lockhart and the fact that FAU is seen as a commuter school.  The stadium along with the other projects in the stadium phase are largely chaning the reputation of FAU.  First, there will be 1,000 more freshman on campus next year than last which helps get us away from that "commuter school" tag.  Second, the stadium gives our football program more credibility instantly.  Its nicer than FIU's and on a college campus which is more to say than UM.  Therefore, its now arguable that we have the best place to play in South Florida.

2.  Fan Base.  While I think being in the SunBelt will still keep this number far lower than it would be in a "better" conference, there is no doubt in my mind that we will have more fans and students come to our games.

3.  Recruiting.  Lets be honest here…there was NO WAY we were keeping highly talented or touted recruits with Lockhart being our stadium.  This stadium helps us recruit without a doubt.

The stadium will also help with fundraising, to what degree is yet to be seen.  Also, next time we are supposed to play a school like Michigan State at home (which is a huge deal btw) we will actually play them in South Florida.  Lastly, when it is time for Howard to go it will help us land a more talanted coach.  Coaches care more than even players do about facilities (its the reason Rich Rod left WV).

Back to the top
Control functions: