Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2012 Coach Wish list

Re: 2012 Coach Wish list

2012 Coach Wish list

walty12 said

To not recognize that a lot of our challanges as a program…especially with recruiting dont stem from our facilites more specifically Lockhart Stadium is just being blind.

You guys can listen if you want…NO COACH WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER WITH FAU'S SITUATION THAN HS.  NONE.

When HS had the facilities of a large University he won a National Championship and kick started a dynasty.  Mike Leach and Rich Rod…not so much.

You guys want Jimmy Johnson to win Nascar with a Chevy Malibu?  Howard has done the best he can with the resources available.  To not recognize that sucks.

My problem is that we were able to win a conference championship and 2 bowl games while playing at Lockhart, so obviously we were able to either recruit better players than we are now, OR our coaching has gotten worse…I’m leaning towards bad coaching. We’ve gotten worse the past 3 years, we continually show lack of discipline on the field, we continue to lose scholarships because our players don’t graduate (one or two years of this could just be a fluke, but we’ve lost scholarships every year the NCAA has done this. That falls squarely on the coaches and who the recruit and how they keep the motivated for school) and we are always ranked in the bottom of the SUNBELT in recruiting. I don’t want to hear that we recruit players for our system. Yes that’s true to an extent but a safety is a safety and an O-linemen is an O-linemen. We should be out recruiting the Sunbelt year in and year out, with the exception of Troy since they are the only program with any history of success. Howard would be fired if we were any other program in the country.

Look, I’ve said it before. We’re nothing without Howard, most of the people on this board would not be here if it weren’t for him but c’mon. You can’t honestly tell me that some of his moves the past couple years have been incredibly questionable. In the past he’s said and done bold things (Miami will win a NC in 5 years) but he’s been able to back it up by winning. He has not been able to do that the past few years.

I’m going to make my final decision on the Coach at the end of this year (which will probably be his last anyway). I’m hopeful that the past 3 years have just been bad luck and that we at least are in contention for the SBC title at the end of the year and that Coach goes out winning..I’m just not sure if that’s going to happen

Back to the top

walty12 said

My problem is that we were able to win a conference championship and 2 bowl games while playing at Lockhart, so obviously we were able to either recruit better players than we are now, OR our coaching has gotten worse…I’m leaning towards bad coaching.

Not sure I agree. We were only able to win 2 bowl games and a conference championship because we recruited decent talent. How did we do that? Out coaches  told them we were building a stadium…soon. Well you could only do that for so long and not deliver on your promise. Other programs, especially in the Sun Belt, used the "empty" promise against us. Was that coach's fault? Of course not. My point is that the lack of stadium is the reason for the downturn, at least more so than "bad" coaching.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

FAUfasho said

I’m going to make my final decision on the Coach at the end of this year (which will probably be his last anyway).

You may be right, but I will not be shocked if they offer another 2 or 3 year contract.  If he wants to coach longer, i have no problem with it.  We are building.  Being economical is part of it and it makes sense as long as he is healthy enough.  that is something none of us know.

As far as making a few questionable decisions the last few years…

That is the nature of sports to second guess everything.  I remember going to every Dolphin game for 10 years in the Shula era and complaining every game about decisions being made.  I agree he made some crazy calls.  I assure you Urban Meyer has been second guessed more.  They have a higher profile and higher expectations and more fans.  Us fans are always smarter than the coaches.  That's what makes sports interesting.  If the coaches made every call exactly how we would call the game, we would be bored in about 4 minutes.

I get it that he is in his 70s and his time is winding down, but the guy probably forgot more football yesterday than I knew my whole life.  Will I still question some of his calls?  Of course.

The more I see the "wish list" that the board came up with, makes me realize how good we have it.  That's not that impressive of a wish list to be honest.
Back to the top

fauowl said

FAUfasho said

I’m going to make my final decision on the Coach at the end of this year (which will probably be his last anyway).

You may be right, but I will not be shocked if they offer another 2 or 3 year contract.  If he wants to coach longer, i have no problem with it.  We are building.  Being economical is part of it and it makes sense as long as he is healthy enough.  that is something none of us know.

As far as making a few questionable decisions the last few years…

That is the nature of sports to second guess everything.  I remember going to every Dolphin game for 10 years in the Shula era and complaining every game about decisions being made.  I agree he made some crazy calls.  I assure you Urban Meyer has been second guessed more.  They have a higher profile and higher expectations and more fans.  Us fans are always smarter than the coaches.  That's what makes sports interesting.  If the coaches made every call exactly how we would call the game, we would be bored in about 4 minutes.

I get it that he is in his 70s and his time is winding down, but the guy probably forgot more football yesterday than I knew my whole life.  Will I still question some of his calls?  Of course.

The more I see the "wish list" that the board came up with, makes me realize how good we have it.  That's not that impressive of a wish list to be honest.

Well stated…total agree here. Concerning the coaching list, I would rather see Coach Allen or even Gary Nord back before Leach (too much baggage).
Back to the top

prowler said

walty12 said

My problem is that we were able to win a conference championship and 2 bowl games while playing at Lockhart, so obviously we were able to either recruit better players than we are now, OR our coaching has gotten worse…I’m leaning towards bad coaching.

Not sure I agree. We were only able to win 2 bowl games and a conference championship because we recruited decent talent. How did we do that? Out coaches  told them we were building a stadium…soon. Well you could only do that for so long and not deliver on your promise. Other programs, especially in the Sun Belt, used the "empty" promise against us. Was that coach's fault? Of course not. My point is that the lack of stadium is the reason for the downturn, at least more so than "bad" coaching.

-Go Owls!

That's a good point and I didn't think of that. However, shouldn't we have been able to prove them wrong with the news that we got approved for an on campus stadium for 2010? We had designs and everything that we could show them saying, "Look, we finally got approved for this stadium and when you're a junior or senior you're going to be playing in it!"

Also, I wouldn't compare Urban Meyer to Howard…Meyer won two National Championships and a BCS game. So you can't really compare Meyer's criticisms to Howard's. And another thing, I'm in now way trying to make it seem like I have any speck of knowledge about coaching a football team, I know Howard's a HOF coach. I'm just stating what my opinion, however skewed or wrong that may be,lol.
Back to the top

Just to throw another name in the ring, Bill Stewart from West Virginia is now available.
Back to the top

I believe that because of our "conditions" (salary limitation, our conference, etc.), we should also be looking at individuals that are currently producing at a lower position. I other words, coaches that are Offensive Coordinators and such, at more established programs. Perhaps they could be lured by the challenge of a head coaching position. I know it could be more of a gamble, but just a thought. Some possible suggestions could be Todd Fitch of USF or James Coley of FSU (Yeah, dreaming big). I like the FL connection especially for recruiting.

Having said this, I believe we let Coach stay on for a couple more years, and exit on his terms.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Ok I am pretty sure this is Howard's last year so I am creating my coaching wish list.

1. Mike Leach

2. Rich Rodriguez

3. Manny Diaz Texas D-Coordinator

4. Mark Richt

5. Jarred Allen

1. Still not sure if he is sane or not.

2. Should have stayed at WVU - worst mistake of his entire life leaving.

3. Destined to be an assistant - forever.

4. The SEC is brutal. Could run the SBC given recruiting contacts & knowledge at the highest level of play there is in NCAA football.

5. Not anytime soon, but want him on staff at QB Coach.

Let's see what's behind door number 4!

Back to the top

No. 4 is a native of Boca too and talk about good character. Things would have to go real sour for UGA this year to boot him, their team is much better than last year and the schedule much more favorable too. The closest we get to Richt is next year in Athens but he would be the PERFECT fit here!
Back to the top

I get the Richt is a nice guy that's adopted a bunch if kids and all but haven't the Bulldogs rivaled UF in the number of player arrests in the last 5 years?
Back to the top
Control functions: