Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 Bowl Alignment, Watch, & Discussion Thread

fauowls44 said

By the way, I think you are wrong about the NCAA rules. Here is the UM Employee Day offer:
1 free ticket for the employee and up to 3 additional tickets for $1 each.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Tickets Remain for UM vs. Wake Forest Employee Day Game | e-Veritas

Are you telling me FAU couldn't have done this for Friday?
Posted On: Nov 25th 2013, 11:14 PM #322481

Miami is in a different situation than we are.  For one they dont have to worry about the avarage paid attandance, that we do. They had the Florida game to help with there average attandance. Have you purchased your tickets Friday's game yet?
Back to the top

John_Z said

fauowls44 said

By the way, I think you are wrong about the NCAA rules. Here is the UM Employee Day offer:

Miami is in a different situation than we are.  For one they dont have to worry about the avarage paid attandance, that we do. They had the Florida game to help with there average attandance. Have you purchased your tickets Friday's game yet?
Posted On: Nov 25th 2013, 11:38 PM #322485

Yes…I have season tickets.

As for the NCAA requirement.  Come on…we all know that is a joke.  Name me the last team to drop out of FBS because of not meeting the requirement.  There are plenty of teams with poor attendance who magically get over 15,000 average every season.

And FAU doesn't have to worry about devaluing their product with things like a $1 ticket offer.  FAU's problem is that they need to make people realize that their product has value in the first place.  Most people don't even know that there is a game on Friday….probably many FAU employees don't know it either.  A $1 Employee offer to the thousands of FAU workers would certainly help spread the word.  We need to get people in the stadium any way we can.  At this point, if it's free or very cheap tickets, so be it.  What devalues your product more: Cheap tickets or an empty stadium for a crucial game against a rival on National TV?

I really hope you are right when you say that the department is doing all it can to fill the stadium on Friday.  I hope whatever you are doing is working.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I just get a bad feeling that I'll be watching the game with 4,000 other Owls fans on Friday afternoon.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Good to hear about the $5 offer…I wish it wasn't the first I've heard of it.  I haven't heard that advertised anywhere. 

As for devaluing the product…does UM devalue their product with $1 enployee tickets?  I don't think so.
Posted On: Nov 25th 2013, 11:36 PM #322484

"employee ticket"
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

John_Z said

fauowls44 said

As for the NCAA requirement.  Come on…we all know that is a joke.  Name me the last team to drop out of FBS because of not meeting the requirement.  There are plenty of teams with poor attendance who magically get over 15,000 average every season.

And FAU doesn't have to worry about devaluing their product with things like a $1 ticket offer.  FAU's problem is that they need to make people realize that their product has value in the first place.  Most people don't even know that there is a game on Friday….probably many FAU employees don't know it either.  A $1 Employee offer to the thousands of FAU workers would certainly help spread the word.  We need to get people in the stadium any way we can.  At this point, if it's free or very cheap tickets, so be it.  What devalues your product more: Cheap tickets or an empty stadium for a crucial game against a rival on National TV?

I really hope you are right when you say that the department is doing all it can to fill the stadium on Friday.  I hope whatever you are doing is working.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I just get a bad feeling that I'll be watching the game with 4,000 other Owls fans on Friday afternoon.
Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 12:07 AM #322487

The de-valuation happens when you give away free tickets when people like you who decided to buy season tickets purchase very expensive tickets (donation)…if you don't make something exclusive then why would I want to pay…the fact of the matter is, the team keeps playing like it is in the FUTURE, the fans will come…it happen in 2007 and 2008.  But don't expect a big crowd for this game, if we win and goto a bowl game….the interest will be entirely different next season.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

Good to hear about the $5 offer…I wish it wasn't the first I've heard of it.  I haven't heard that advertised anywhere. 

As for devaluing the product…does UM devalue their product with $1 enployee tickets?  I don't think so.

"employee ticket"
Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 12:49 AM #322488

Yes…employee.  I was typing on my phone last night…
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

John_Z said

fauowls44 said

Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 12:07 AM #322487
The de-valuation happens when you give away free tickets when people like you who decided to buy season tickets purchase very expensive tickets (donation)…if you don't make something exclusive then why would I want to pay…the fact of the matter is, the team keeps playing like it is in the FUTURE, the fans will come…it happen in 2007 and 2008.  But don't expect a big crowd for this game, if we win and goto a bowl game….the interest will be entirely different next season.
Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 12:54 AM #322489
So giving out free tickets to the last game of the season to try to get a good crowd on a Friday at 3pm game somehow devalues the product, but $5 tickets doesn't?  Give me a break. The whole notion that you de-value your product with free/cheap tickets is BS.  People will pay when the product is something they want.  FAU needs to show people the product.  This is the best FAU Football has been in 5 years and the stadium is great.  Show it to people and they will want to come back.  Take a look at what Darren Rovell has to say about this:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43051567

As for FAU, I'm not talking about giving out free tickets all the time.  This is a special circumstance.  This is a game on National TV with the team trying to make a bowl.  Nobody watching will say "Yeah it's empty, but it's the Friday after Thanksgiving, at 3pm with students off campus."  No…they'll be saying: "FAU HAS NO FANS! What Bowl would want them?"  All I want is for the stadium to look full for TV…and as a season ticket holder, I don't care if I paid and people are getting in free or for less than me.  I bought season tickets to support the program.  I'm guessing most Owls season ticket holders do the same.  There's really no other reason to buy season tickets for FAU other than to give money to the program because they gave people absolutely no reason to buy season tickets the past 3 or 4 years.  I want what is best for the program and what is best for the program is to have a good crowd on Friday and put it's best foot forward to impress bowl reps.

I agree interest will be different next year if we win and go to a Bowl, but you have to get to a Bowl first and one way to help get there is to have a good crowd on hand Friday.
Back to the top

I agree 100% with fauowls44. Athletics needs to stop making excuses and fill that stadium by any means. NCAA regulations, de-valuation  and debt convenants are all excuses. If other teams can find work arounds….so can we. If not, perhaps we need to staff the athletics dept with more creative minds.

It's the perfect time to sell our product when the team is winning games. Let potential fans see that and blow their mind with the game day experience once you have them in the stadium. They WILL come back free or not!

You can't de-value something that the fans don't currently value. Show people the potential and value will increase. if athletics does'nt get this concept we have a very BIG problem!  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

"employee ticket"

Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 6:38 AM #322490

I wasn't commenting on your type-o, I was commenting that an employee promotion is different than a general public promotion.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

Tim FAU98 said

fauowls44 said

"employee ticket"

Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 6:38 AM #322490

I wasn't commenting on your type-o, I was commenting that an employee promotion is different than a general public promotion.
Posted On: Nov 26th 2013, 8:45 AM #322495

My point was that FAU has a lot of employees too and they aren't coming to games…they are a good audience to target.  Students, alumni, and university workers should be the easy people to get if you reach out to them.  UM's offer is smart.  No reason FAU to not do something similar.  Just don't give me this bs about NCAA attendance requirements and say we can't do it because the situation is different. The NCAA isn't dropping us or any other program down because of that rule or there would be 80 FBS teams instead of 124.

And this theory about devaluing the product is also nonsense.  It's an outdated way of thinking and I hope that the people in charge of FAU's marketing don't still subscribe to it.  For years teams fought the resale market.  Now they all embrace it.  People were getting in cheap anyway with $1 Stubhub tickets.  Get the people in and they'll at least buy food and parking.  It's better than getting no money for empty seats.
Back to the top

The way I see it, the poisoned environment from last year and this year still permeates at FAU. I assume that there is alot of dismay with the students and employees which has resulted in a deficiency in school spirit. FAU needs to do something other than an athletic event to jump start the affinity within the school community. The longer the feelings of dismay persist, the less likely students or employees will support athletic events. Students will continue to remain in their segregated groups and tolerate life at FAU. Employees will continue to have low morale and yearn to leave FAU when their workday is completed.

This quote pretty much sums FAU's current state:

“When you're lost in those woods, it sometimes takes you a while to realize that you are lost. For the longest time, you can convince yourself that you've just wandered off the path, that you'll find your way back to the trailhead any moment now. Then night falls again and again, and you still have no idea where you are, and it's time to admit that you have bewildered yourself so far off the path that you don't even know from which direction the sun rises anymore.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert
Back to the top
Control functions: