Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 Bowl Alignment, Watch, & Discussion Thread

Even if we don't go to a bowl we have to be happy with 6-6 after the way we started the year, and the way we have played for the last 3 years.
Back to the top

Owlnation, I agree with you.  It still amazes me that very few people "off-campus" realize the depth and damage of the negative impact the prior administration had.  Forget the publicized incidents - the whole negative atmosphere was created before the news stories began last December.

The new administration is great but people still need the time to take a deep breath and regroup.

As far as tickets for faculty go, if you look on the FAU HR Benefits page, there are ticket discounts offered to Faculty/Staff for the Heat, the Panthers, the Dolphins and even Daytona.  The discounts that are available for FAU season tickets in Football, Basketball and Baseball are not even mentioned.  I don't think anyone really knows they are available.  As far as I know, I don't see any communications going out on this.  I hope it is on a TO DO list somewhere.

I think that we are  going to see a tighter and more focused marketing effort all the way around next year.  I am not sure how many more years we can afford not to.
Back to the top

And the first root against game off the weekend has started. Lets go rebels... at least I think that is what Ole Miss is called.
Back to the top

Eng-owl said

And the first root against game off the weekend has started. Lets go rebels… at least I think that is what Ole Miss is called.
Posted On: Nov 28th 2013, 7:37 PM #322612

10-10 at the end of regulation, off to OT!

:Big-Grin:

Just to keep this alive from a tracking standpoint, here's NCOwl's summary:

NCowl said

The teams we need to win are in Parentheses:

Mississippi State (vs. Mississippi) …possible
Central Michigan (vs. Eastern Michigan) …doubtful
Syracuse (vs. Boston College) …probably
Wyoming (@ Utah State) …probably
Colorado State (vs. Air Force) …doubtful
Southern Methodist (@ Houston, vs. Central Florida) …probably
Rutgers (@ Connecticut, vs. South Florida) …doubtful
San Jose State (vs. Fresno State) …probably
South Alabama (@ Georgia State, vs. Louisiana) …doubtful
Troy (vs. Texas State) …possible
ULM (@ Louisiana) …probably

Posted On: Nov 25th 2013, 1:20 PM #322446
Back to the top

Oh well, Ole Miss QB Wallace takes the would be tie into the end zone on a keeper, but coughs it up and the Bulldogs recover to seal the win.

FINAL:

Ole Miss 10  Miss State 17 OT

Back to the top

Well 74 are now bowl eligible. Every team that HAD to win so far has won… The big ones that hurt FAU's chances the most so far are Miss State and San Jose State (beating a #16 Fresno State and ruining their BCS bowl chances). Here's to hoping  :)
Back to the top

The Rice and Marshall games just hurt that much more!
Back to the top

UPDATED THROUGH FRIDAY, NOV 29th GAMES:

There are six teams with at least seven wins and bowl eligibility – East Carolina (9-2), Rice (8-3), Marshall (8-3), North Texas (7-4), Middle Tennessee (7-4) and Tulane (7-4).

There is one team with six wins and bowl eligibility – Florida Atlantic (6-6).

There is one team with six wins and conditional bowl eligibility – UTSA (6-5).

Note: UTSA can only be bowl-eligible if they win six games and there are not enough bowl-eligible teams around the country to fill the 70 spots in 35 bowls due to the program’s second year of a transition to the FBS.

There are now more than 70 teams that have reached bowl-eligibility.

C-USA has six primary bowl selections in 2013. The AutoZone Liberty Bowl has the first selection of C-USA teams. After that, there is not set order of selection among the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl (St. Petersburg, Fla.), Heart of Dallas Bowl, Military Bowl (Washington, D.C./.Annapolis, Md.), R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and Sheraton Hawai’i Bowl.
Back to the top

Unfortunately all five teams nationally playing for bowl eligibility won including two I thought would lose; SJ St. beating Fresno St. (cost the MW a bunch of cash I bet!) and Miss. St beating Ole Miss.

There are now 76 eligible teams (75 if you bump out UTSA I guess).

Gonna take A LOT of pull from Howard this time to slip us in a bowl slot.

I know many people are complaing about there are already too many bowl games (35) so why do we need more. Well there are more FBS teams now and mostly the fact that the 5 BigBoy conferences are scooping up more and more of the mid level bowls for themselves leaving purely the scraps for the "Group of Five" and Independents) to share. The usual the rich get richer and the poor get poorer monopoly routine. Until FBS football scheduling gets balance to mean ALL teams have 6 home and 6 away games and the FCS games do not count AT ALL towards eligibilty then the imbalance of competitiveness will continue to favor "the rich".
Back to the top

I have a few bowl questions I was wondering.

Does CUSA have an secondary agreement with the BBVA? Wiki kind of indicated it, I saw a few other unofficial things saying the like. If true I think this is FAU's only hope of getting into a game. The BBVA has SEC vs AAC (#5 team?), which the SEC has filled.

The AAC conference has 5 bowls guarantees: Beef O'Brady, New Era, Belk, Russell, BBVA

They currently have 4 eligible: UCF, Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston

They only have 2 in the running still: Rutgers, and SMU

Now assuming Rutgers wins, which I expect, than they will have 5 of 5 teams. Assuming UCF beats SMU than, than ESPN has been suggesting that they would get a BCS game (and eliminate SMU from the post season). That scenario would mean AAC would have 6 bowls with only 5 teams meaning a free slot. Now from earlier in the post, from what I can gather the BBVA is the lowest preference bowl from the BBVA this year meaning it would need the replacement, meaning if they pulled from CUSA, that would open the door to FAU getting into a bowl.

Since CUSA only has 1 extra team to place (FAU) what options does the conference have to try and attract the bowl by offering a high ranked CUSA team which. I am sure CUSA would love to make the claim they placed all eligible teams in a bowl (not really counting UTSA because of transition restriction)

Can someone else please try to help me out and verify any of this as a accurate/possible case
Back to the top
Control functions: