Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2013 QB

Re: 2013 QB

2013 QB

They haven't changed the depth chart in weeks. He as been running the 2s for weeks though.  Don't write Bracewell off that's all I'm saying.
Back to the top

It's reviewed weekly, with no changes at QB.

But no one is writing him off…

:)
Back to the top

How about this kid?

Baker Mayfield

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Mike Leach likes him? Then I do too.
Back to the top

We have played 11 games now, who sees ANYTHING in this O that ANY QB in the nation, college or HIGH SCHOOL, could not understand?

If German can't understand the O after running a MUCH MORE aggressive O in his JUCO, throwing the ball all over the field, I just don't get it. Unless he has troublewith that one hand off he run 20+ times a game, that must be it. We throw for over 400 yards vs. FIU and run for 35 (I don't count sacks against the run totales - those are PASSING PLAYS!). But don't get me wrong, 35 yards still SUCKS! So why do we keep ramming our heads trying to run through the cement wall when we can run AROUND it easier or throw over it so much easier?

I agree with the poster whom is posting the O numbers though, we do have probably the worst numbers for a spread O in the nation because we seem to be hell bent on "balance" even though when we do throw the ball we WIN or at least compete! I say if we can be like some O's and run 60 times and win then do that. If we have to pass it 60 to 70 times to win, then do that. Play the games to WIN, that is why we seem to have a scoreboard at EVERY stadium I have ever been to. Do whatever it take, just WIN!

P.S. - We would attract MUCH better QB prospects IF we let the qb throw more and average 300-400 yards and 3 or 4 TD passes a game. Handing off up the middle 20+ times a game AIN'T gonna excite any good spread QB! And if we are gonna run more we might consider "spreading" the O line with wider splits to help set up wider running lanes and spread their D line and LB's out to stop the massing at the line we do still see, and setting the WR's out wider and running their routes deeper to pull the safeties out of the play, and go ONE back in the backfield to give the running game more room by at least looking like a passing formation. I don't see too much "spread O" in OC's Wrights style personally.

Go Owls to the death though!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

P.S. - We would attract MUCH better QB prospects IF we let the qb throw more and average 300-400 yards and 3 or 4 TD passes a game. Handing off up the middle 20+ times a game AIN'T gonna excite any good spread QB! And if we are gonna run more we might consider "spreading" the O line with wider splits to help set up wider running lanes and spread their D line and LB's out to stop the massing at the line we do still see, and setting the WR's out wider and running their routes deeper to pull the safeties out of the play, and go ONE back in the backfield to give the running game more room by at least looking like a passing formation. I don't see too much "spread O" in OC's Wrights style personally.

+100
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

One person said he was struggling on here, that's the only update anyone has heard about him since September so that's what they're all going with. I don't know if it's true or not, so I'm witholding judgement until after the season when we can start talking about this stuff.

Unfortunately, I heard a reliable source in Athletics mention that German has academic issues… ie - I wouldn't bank on him for next year and we need to be seriously looking for at least TWO QB's this upcoming season (possibly another JUCO and a Freshman to groom). 
Back to the top

Prowler…if that is true, I totally agree with you. We need to bring in a quality freshman that can sit out a year and possibly play 2 or three years. That is how ASU and ULM and FIU did it.We can not succeed, long turn, by bringing in juco's. I'm ok with it in case of an emergency. But,you win by recruiting HS players.
Back to the top

I could see this guy being our freshman to groom
Football Recruiting - Cole Segraves - Player Profiles - ESPN
3 star QB who's 6'3, 205 pounds with offers from FAU, FIU, Marshall, Georgia state, Miami OH, and UCF

ESPN Analyst
Updated 09/07/2012
Segraves is an efficient pocket passer operating out of the shotgun spread set. Has the size and athleticism for the quarterback position at the major level of competition. His frame appears capable of supporting additional body mass over time. We see a prospect with better than adequate arm strength but in need of improving his overall accuracy; sets up quickly off the gun snap with eyes downfield, ready to throw. Demonstrates a good understanding of his offense, knowing where to go with the football; displays very good pocket poise; doesn't rattle under pressure showing the athleticism to slide and keep the ball alive without having to constantly scramble out of the pocket. There is the need to refine foot work (step up and into his throws) however his delivery appears compact, demonstrating the ability to get the ball out of his hand quickly. His patience and ability to pick up secondary receivers is a testament to his poise. Flashes the ability to make all the short/medium throws and at times is successful delivering the ball into tight coverage. Must work on over the top touch when throwing the medium/deep ball; will underthrow receivers at times. Runs the zone/read play efficiently, just enough to force defenses to respect his mobility. Segraves will need some time and most likely a red shirt year to grow physically while improving arm strength.
Back to the top

deerfield said

GeorgiaOwl said

+100

I think the biggest issue is that the offense is supposed to be more of a read-option offense. If we had a more mobile QB (an actual spread QB) there's a bunch of times that the QB would read the defense and pull it back from the RB and take off running. Right now there isn't much reading going on. It's just Graham handing it off. There are at least 5 times a game that Graham would have a big gain if he kept it. I think that's originally why Curtis got the nod over Graham.

Next year we'll see a much more mobile QB who can read the defense better and use his legs much more than Graham is.
Back to the top
Control functions: